G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Why no revised or updated transmission for the 07 G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Yes, shifting is lightning fast & solid in both modes.
I have *never* experienced an AT even close to the way this one performs.
+1 - going from the drive train of the 335i to my G is like stepping back 10 years. It is very close to the DSG; very hard to tell the 2 apart. I sure hope the new G's tranny is not a carryover w/a G-force sensor, for if it is, it's already seriously outdated and out-gunned.

Last edited by RLampke; 09-21-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Isn't the new G's tranny the M tranny?

Old 09-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday
Isn't the new G's tranny the M tranny?
Thought they were the same to begin with...?

Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by RLampke
Thought they were the same to begin with...?
Which is the same as the 02-06 Q45 and other cars that have the same auto transmission, which is the very point of my thread.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 PM
It might be the same basic tranny but it's been refined a bit for the M. In other words it has been updated.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jrock65
I would agree with you, if they could have developed a more fuel efficient tranny without adding a lot of cost (and hence price). Also, 6 speed auto trannies aren't necessarily better than 5 speed auto trannies.

From Autoweek:

Track-day drivers take note: Another on-track advantage was on the backside, No Name Straight, where both the German and Japanese competition found their six-speed automatics shifting up just when you didn’t want that, mere feet before the liftoff point. The Infiniti’s five-speed automatic may just have better gearing for the course, but its manual mode allows the driver to hold a gear right up to the rev limiter, not trying to out-think the driver.

From Edmunds:

"In the age of the six-, seven- and now eight-speed automatics, the Infiniti's transmission, with only five forward gears, may seem behind the times. But the five-speed's proper gearing, attentive action and ability to match revs perfectly when manually downshifted makes the transmission a standout and the perfect choice for this very capable sport sedan. It delivers all of the hard-driving advantages of BMW's complex sequential manual gearbox (SMG) without any of that transmission's drivability issues."

What's the more economical argument?

A) 335i and IS350 have 6 speed auto trannies, and get 2 mpg better than G35.

B) G35 has a 5 speed auto tranny, and is $3000 to $8000 cheaper than IS350 and 335i.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did u guys read this???????
Can someone explain me what the arguement is all about?

Old 09-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did u guys read this???????
Can someone explain me what the arguement is all about?
They were comparing to the *old* BMW tranny.

The new 6AT in the 335i is a *huge* advancment in AT technology.
It's not whether it's 5At or 6AT... gearing is gearing;
It's the lightning fast shifts & solid feel.
The new BMW AT is very SMG like in performance w/o all the other SMG issues.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
They were comparing to the *old* BMW tranny.
Correct - these entire tests w/the new G35 are against old iterations or the lesser BMW product. None have been against the 335i, the IS350 or the TL Type-S, - but its coming.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by absolutg
drive a 6mt in traffic every day for a decently long commute... auto's do have their benefits
I don't know about that. I drove a manual 240sx, a manual 300ZXTT, and a manual G20t commuting up and down the busiest freeway in America (405 fwy in Los Angeles) for over 10 yrs. Now I have an automatic TSX and it's really no better or worse than the manuals. In fact, I prefer the manuals over my current auto due to the crappy lag that sometimes happens from the drive-by-wire throttle on my car. I also hate it when I try to punch it to accelerate in traffic and the car hesitates as it downshifts. This was never an issue w/ any of my manuals as I always knew precisely how fast or slow the transmission was going to shift.

I guess the only thing that stopped me from getting another manual was the fact that I would sometimes sprain my ankle playing sports and I wouldn't be able to commute to work.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All this talk about "how fast" the tranny shifts or doesn't shift makes me think you guys don't understand how a transmission works. The firmness of a shift, which is directly related to how fast it shifts, is based on the transmission line pressure. This is controlled by the ECU, the stock setting is very soft, for luxury purposes. On some of the domestic transmission like the Ford 4R70W, the line pressure can be changed by a $40 gadget made by B&M or by a chip, and viola you have very fast shifts probably faster than the new advanced 07 BMW 335i auto.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by IP05G35
All this talk about "how fast" the tranny shifts or doesn't shift makes me think you guys don't understand how a transmission works. The firmness of a shift, which is directly related to how fast it shifts, is based on the transmission line pressure. This is controlled by the ECU, the stock setting is very soft, for luxury purposes. On some of the domestic transmission like the Ford 4R70W, the line pressure can be changed by a $40 gadget made by B&M or by a chip, and viola you have very fast shifts probably faster than the new advanced 07 BMW 335i auto.
Go drive a 335 with the new Steptronic... then I'll consider your point.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:11 PM
I don't need to drive it, i'm perfectly happy with my 05 G35 auto, the downshift rev matching is excellent and the converter is super loose. The shifts can be firmer but like I said that just has to do with the line pressure, the gearing is very aggressive already. Another thing that has to do with how quick the shifts are is the timing retard. Most stock cars retard the ignition timing in between shifts for more luxury as well as making parts last longer, take that out with an ECU tune and up the line pressure and you will have neck breaking fast shifts on your G35.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by IP05G35
I don't need to drive it, i'm perfectly happy with my 05 G35 auto, the downshift rev matching is excellent and the converter is super loose. The shifts can be firmer but like I said that just has to do with the line pressure, the gearing is very aggressive already. Another thing that has to do with how quick the shifts are is the timing retard. Most stock cars retard the ignition timing in between shifts for more luxury as well as making parts last longer, take that out with an ECU tune and up the line pressure and you will have neck breaking fast shifts on your G35.
Then save your line pressure comments.
& if you think you're going to improve it with a $40 module, try doing some research first.

5AT upgrade info
& Stillen here

Old 09-23-2006, 07:58 PM
The $40 module is for a Ford transmission, the 4r70w. Of course everything is more expensive for the G35. There's two ways you can modify a transmission to shift faster, valvebody modifications like the links you posted or through the ECU via line pressure.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
LOL... whatever bro, if it makes you happy, keep the dark shades on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why no revised or updated transmission for the 07 G35?