335i Sedan Pricing Released...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCurryman
So some questions about ED:

1. The ED price listed on the BMW site...can this be negotiated just like a regular car purchase or is that price set?
2. Why does it take 6 weeks to get the car back to the US?
3. If I was to do ED on a 335i sedan, how long from the time of order to being able to pick it up in Germany?

Question about the 335:
There's a 325xi sedan, 328xi sedan, 330xi sedan...do you think there will be a 335xi sedan? I'm really set on AWD.
1) It can be negotiated. There is an ED MSRP and an ED Invoice, just like regular MSRP. (e90post and bimmerfest for more info on pricing)
2) It's shipped with a bunch of other BMWs, they sit at a port for a week, float across the ocean for a couple weeks, then sit in another port for a few weeks, hop on a rail for a week, then are delivered to you. It's actually more like 4 weeks.
3) It depends on how quickly you can get a production date. For example, I ordered my car on Sept 8th or something, I got a production number right away (I had a deposit in), production was set for the 30th of Sept, completed on the 8th of October. Others are getting production dates in November now. It takes about 7-10 days from your production date for the car to be completed.

To get into a little more depth, all the dealers in the US fight over ED production dates. They all have their own allocation of cars, however ED does not take away from their allocation (so they sell more cars and make more money, hence the lower price), however since they are all fighting over production dates the newer and more popular a car is the harder it is to get one early. The guys ordering 335i coupes now are getting production in Nov, meaning the car will be completed in late Nov/Early Dec for a late Dec delivery date. Soon they will be doing December production, so late Jan delivery. The US has more ED allocation, so odds are if you order say, Nov 1, you will get production for December, and the car will arrive in January.

There will likely be a 335xi sedan, though it is not confirmed yet, afaik.

Last edited by Picus; 09-21-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
Ok, I guess we just define adequate differently. Personally I think the G sedan is getting too big - it'll be the size of a TL soon.
Anyone could make a car small, but what is the good to be small if someone else could provide much more interior space while maintaining the same level of nimbleness? If you simply look at length, yes G is longer. But when you look at the width, you know G is narrower. In fact, 3 is wider than the current G and the upcoming new G. How could you define the size simply by the length?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Red face Well...

Originally Posted by TPECT
G35 is good car for the money but comparing it against BMW and bashing bmw cars is just doesnt make any sence to me.
No one is bashing BMW here at all. In fact, I think that the 335i is going to be a great car.

I asked you 16 simple questions based on your statement, "Well let me then say that very 3 series is a step up from g35", and you didn't answer a single one of them.

G35 is good car for the money but comparing it against BMW...
If the G35 should not be compared against BMW, why does Car and Driver, Automobile Magazine, Road & Track, Edmunds, and Motor Trend always compare these two cars?

Are they all wrong in doing so?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Staff ALUMNI
I don't deny the G has awesome interior space, what I said is it is, imo, getting too big. The current G is way too tall for it's width, it looks slabsided. The new one isn't bad but it's still just too long (again, imo), as for which car is larger:

'07 G sedan length: 187"
width: 69.8
height: 57.2

335i sedan:
length: 178.2 (almost 10 inches)
height: 55.9 (1 inch shorter)
width: 71.5 (0.7 inches wider)

So which one is larger? 10 inches is quite a bit. Huge props to Infiniti for making it that large and having virtually the same weight, though.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks Picus...another ED question.
Is it only available for new car purchase or is it available for leases also?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
No leasing option in Canada for ED... .

"Cars financed or leased through BMW Financial Services must be exported within 90 days."
ED LINK

Last edited by InTgr8r; 09-21-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Staff ALUMNI
They don't normally allow you to finance through BMWFS, though some dealerships are able to work something out. Most people go through Capital One or one of those kind of banks. They also don't allow trades, but again some dealers work something out on it. I do not know if in the US you get a tax break towards a trade. I know in Canada if you trade in on an ED purchase you lose the tax benefit.

So ya, in general it should be a purchase that you either buy outright or finance through a bank. You probably shouldn't have a big trade either. If you meet those requirements it's pretty much a no brainer in the US.

There is a section at bimmerforums.com that's all about ED. It's pretty much where I learned everything I know about it. If you are serious about it go check it out or make a post and someone will point you in the right direction. They even have sticked threads for good hotels, a guy who will pick you up at the airport and drop you at BMW (named Rolph ), good places for beer, stuff to bring, you can "rent" a European BMW NAV DVD (for like $30, which is awesome considering they charge a couple hundred for it if you buy it). etc.

Last edited by Picus; 09-22-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Excellent...thx all...will look into it.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Well from what you've said who came out as the winner of that test?
We are talking about the whole package, how well balanced the car is.
Why dont you buy that Dodge Neon SRT model that will blow your G35 in 0-60 or quarter mile run, see what my point is? G35 is good car for the money but comparing it against BMW and bashing bmw cars is just doesnt make any sence to me.
I agree with you 100%. A 335i or i coupe would be better than the 2k7 G35S in every aspect, EXCEPT the way it treats the pocketbook. Someday, who knows, Infiniti or Nissan may refine the road behavior to be just as good as a 3 Series. But we know from the info available on the web and in mags that it didn't happen with the 2nd gen G35.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes, you can do ED with either a purchase or a lease. If you lease, they add a markup to the base money factor, but they pay 1 month lease payment for you while it is being shipped, so that is about a wash. Purchases are easily done through BMWFS, (usually easier using them instead of a bank due to the hassles of explaining picking the car up in Europe, not having VIN right away, etc. to the bank).

Old 09-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was sure you couldn't finance through BMWFS - again, it's different in the US. Stinkin' Canada.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by John105
I agree with you 100%. A 335i or i coupe would be better than the 2k7 G35S in every aspect, EXCEPT the way it treats the pocketbook. Someday, who knows, Infiniti or Nissan may refine the road behavior to be just as good as a 3 Series. But we know from the info available on the web and in mags that it didn't happen with the 2nd gen G35.
We have to see an actual comparo. Car and Driver said the gap between the 3' and G35 has been reduced to "paper thin". Also, no one really compared the new bmw turbo to the G35 engine side by side. It's really too early to tell.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:16 AM
I am getting tired of waiting for the G, so drove the 335 Coupe yesterday. $46100 for auto with no navi. Sport susp is standard. This is one very handsome car. Acceleration is linear and no fuss totally like a not turbo; no spooling up, imperceptable lag due to the torque, quiet inside. Way faster than my 03 G, but no way to compare to 07. No test of handleing due to traffic, but the ride is plush even on the fat low prof run flat tires. The paddle shifters work really well, and there are tow settings for fully auto- varying shift points. Interior much less roomy, due to very wide transmission/consul intrusion, but still comfortable and plush with occassional strange materials. Makes it more obvious that the G had 5 series room, that this coupe is no sedan (good room in back for 2 once you twist youreself in, and fold down seats are a plus - a bike would fit in).

Old 09-23-2006, 10:17 AM
above not "tow" settings-- shoule be two steeings. bad fingers

Old 09-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by chuckg35
I am getting tired of waiting for the G, so drove the 335 Coupe yesterday. $46100 for auto with no navi. Sport susp is standard. This is one very handsome car. Acceleration is linear and no fuss totally like a not turbo; no spooling up, imperceptable lag due to the torque, quiet inside. Way faster than my 03 G, but no way to compare to 07. No test of handleing due to traffic, but the ride is plush even on the fat low prof run flat tires. The paddle shifters work really well, and there are tow settings for fully auto- varying shift points. Interior much less roomy, due to very wide transmission/consul intrusion, but still comfortable and plush with occassional strange materials. Makes it more obvious that the G had 5 series room, that this coupe is no sedan (good room in back for 2 once you twist youreself in, and fold down seats are a plus - a bike would fit in).
I think the G35 pricing will reveal all...assuming the E90 3 Series discounts will be the same as last year, a loaded 335 sedan (everything except satellite radio, laser cruise, and rear sunshade) would go for 46 out the door. Unless the new G35S can be had at 38.5 or less, the buy decision boils down to:

1. Is a person willing to spend 46k on a car, period? That's a lot of money...

2. Does a person have 46k to spend, as I've even seen comments here where there is intention to get the new G35 with zero down.

I'm sure the 335 with the new motor will simply change everything that was written in the latest 330i vs. G35S comparisons. Basically take the articles and throw them away, it's like comparing a Pentium 4 duo to a Pentium 4 that doesn't even HT, why bother? The 330i isn't even available anymore.

No rational decisions can be made without driving the G35S and knowing what it's price out the door will be. If it's 40, I'm going to bet the car will not be too successful, as just a little more gets the 335. 38 would make the 335 sufficiently out of reach for a typical G35 buyer (assuming a fair amount are stretching their budgets), and probably generate decent sales for Infiniti. my .02.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 335i Sedan Pricing Released...