G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Technical observations of the 07

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Technical observations of the 07

This is not a review(I've already posted my review elsewhere); I just wanted to start some discussion on some things I noticed about the new car.

First, when I opened the hood(yay hood dampers), there were a few things I noticed. Like people have pointed out, the dipstick is now logically placed. That's cool. And like the pictures have also shown, there's really very little room for a strut brace(though I'm pretty sure this new model doesn't need it as badly as the current model). The shock towers are pretty deep in the compartment; there are obstructions around the towers, like the intake tubes. Any strut brace would have to climb quite a ways vertically before extending over the engine.

Another thing I noticed was the hood liner. It's quite thick. I didn't try to inspect it much; I don't know if it's hollow, or just foam, or what. I assume it's there to quiet down noises from the engine compartment.

Another thing I noticed was the size of the airboxes and intake tubes. Fortunately, there are no baffles in the tubes like the stock g-tube. But they appear to be quite a bit smaller in diameter than the current tube. And although I didn't open the airboxes to inspect the air filters, they also appeared to be smaller than the current panel filters. In a way, this size reduction makes sense. But I'd be curious to see what the dimensions are of the throttle bodies; if the throttle bodies(and necks onto the plenum) are larger than the intake tubes, then there's a possibility to change out the filters, tubes, and maf housings for larger components. I'm sure JWT is already researching this.

And the last thing I noticed was quite a shocker. I got on the ground and looked underneath the car. I saw the cats, and noticed that they connect to a y-pipe! Everything I've read has stated that the exhaust is a true-dual system with an xpipe. Not this model. Each cat connects to a pipe, and those pipes join to a single unit. A few inches past the join, is the terminal flange. After the flange is a midpipe that has a strong resemblance to the stock 03/04 suitcase midpipe; except that this piece has two exits. Maybe this is the supposed xpipe. I don't know. Also, I might be mistaken; after all, I didn't get to look at it while on a lift, and my perspective wasn't optimal. If, however, the car retains a ypipe, then it is quite a surprise indeed.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
werid

Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Trey, do these exhaust pix look accurate?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Staff Alumni
Yes, they do. At least from what I can recall.

And that pisses me off. I've seen those pictures plenty of times before, but I never put 2 and 2 together. That is *not* an xpipe configuration. That is a ypipe, just like the current ypipe. After the merge, the pipe continues for maybe another foot; 6 inches at least. It then ends in a flange. After that is that suitcase looking thing with two exits.

If you look at the underneath-car picture, you can see the two exit pipes connecting to the midpipe/resonator section(I only assume it's a resonator). I don't know where the separation actually resumes; no one will know until that section is removed and opened up. But if look at the exhaust diagram(lower photo).

The lower picture depicts two discreet resonators, with nothing joining them. The underneath car picture indicates otherwise. So I must ask, what is the purpose of that connecting area? Is is there just for support and structural integrity?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson

The lower picture depicts two discreet resonators, with nothing joining them. The underneath car picture indicates otherwise. So I must ask, what is the purpose of that connecting area? Is is there just for support and structural integrity?
Looks like a structural bridge to me.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Just notice the sway bar in that pic.
It has a double hump.
That means a new aftermarket design will be required.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Staff Alumni
^^^ I noticed that last night as well.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:37 PM
The hood liner is probably so thick because it is manufactured with a flame-retardent material, in case the engine ever catches fire, the little devices that hold that liner melt, releasing the liner and it blankets the engine to help put the fire out.

That's what they are supposed to do, anyway. Most modern cars have a fire-retardent hood liner for this reason. An added benefit is noise reduction.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson

And that pisses me off. I've seen those pictures plenty of times before, but I never put 2 and 2 together. That is *not* an xpipe configuration. That is a ypipe, just like the current ypipe. After the merge, the pipe continues for maybe another foot; 6 inches at least. It then ends in a flange. After that is that suitcase looking thing with two exits.

If you look at the underneath-car picture, you can see the two exit pipes connecting to the midpipe/resonator section(I only assume it's a resonator). I don't know where the separation actually resumes; no one will know until that section is removed and opened up. But if look at the exhaust diagram(lower photo).

From what I know, and it may not be much, the 2k7 G35 does have true duals. I was told exhaust can mix and separate. The point is, is the config like a Camry or Accord where you basically have one system, but do a Y at the end and slap on two mufflers? Or do you have two cats.

The BMW 335 has a H-pipe that joins the two mufflers, and I understand that's a true dual setup as each set of 3 cyl/turbo gets its own piping. It was explained to me that the H equalizes the pressure.

So....from what I understand, the G35 is a true dual.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by John105
From what I know, and it may not be much, the 2k7 G35 does have true duals. I was told exhaust can mix and separate. The point is, is the config like a Camry or Accord where you basically have one system, but do a Y at the end and slap on two mufflers? Or do you have two cats.

The BMW 335 has a H-pipe that joins the two mufflers, and I understand that's a true dual setup as each set of 3 cyl/turbo gets its own piping. It was explained to me that the H equalizes the pressure.

So....from what I understand, the G35 is a true dual.
I agree to a point, but an H or X section does not funnel the exhaust gasses though a single section of pipe.

The '07 G appears to be Y'd into a single section & then breaks apart again.
To me this is not true dual

Last edited by InTgr8r; 10-13-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
I agree to a point, but an H or X section does not funnel the exhaust gasses though a single section of pipe.

The '07 G appears to be Y'd into a single section & then breaks appart again.
To me this is not true dual
I agree 100%, from those pics the 07 G35 does not have a true dual exhaust system .

Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 AM
I'll stick my camera under the car this Saturday and settle this discussion once and for all.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Who cares if its not a full true dual system? Car is fast as hell in stock form. You know what that means? An aftermarket "TRUE DUAL" will release some of the very little to none restriction this exhaust has and create more power. Add some hi-flows and your cookin....

Old 10-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Who cares if its not a full true dual system? Car is fast as hell in stock form. You know what that means? An aftermarket "TRUE DUAL" will release some of the very little to none restriction this exhaust has and create more power. Add some hi-flows and your cookin....
True enough. It doesn't look like it would be a major job to separate the system at the X and turn it into true duals, if a person so desired.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:22 PM
I couldn't get a good shot of the G's belly, but here they are... (click here for larger-sized Flickr pics)

Something was dripping in that second pic... lol