G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

A few questions from a future buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions from a future buyer

So, firstly, Hello all!

I'm new here and this is my first post. This post may be a bit long but may help alot of curious people out.

Ok, with that out of the way...I currently drive a 2004 Acura TL. At the time of purchase, I liked the TL more than the G for many different reasons. I thought the TL had better looks. Actually, I still think the TL looks better but this new G has definitely gotten better. Enough so that I have decided to buy one. The G didn't have a lot of the stuff the TL had such as Voice Recognition and DVD Audio. The DVD Audio is great but their are not enough choices out there for music. Also, the front wheel drive has helped me immensely in the New York winters.

But I am now in LA. I want rear wheel drive. And the new G has so much to offer that the new TL type S can't offer. And it even looks great now. I love it more because they fixed the look. The G Coupe looks fantastic and now so does the Sedan. Acura service is also sub par and for this reason I was gonna go with the Lexus GS 350. But why would I buy that when I can get an even better car in the G at a much lower price tag(IMO). I hpope Infiniti will have better service than Acura.

I however do have some questions. If you guys could be so kind to answer them, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Intelligent Key question.
If I have the engine running and I walk out and away from the car with the key in my pocket, will the engine just shut off? If you could also tell me more about how the key works, I would appreciate it.

2. The little slot on the lower left side of the dash has a place for the Intelligent key. Is this for recharging? If so, how often must we recharge the FOB?

3. I like the way the sportshift reacts on the TL. Is the G slower to shift than the TL?

4. My TL went through 2 trannies so far. Historically, how has the G's auto tranny's track record been?

5. I have so many rattles in my car, how has the G been with the rattles?

6. I think mine had so many issues because it was a first year model. Do you think the 2007 G will be the same? Should I wait for the 2008?

7. Does the G have TPMS?

8. Does it have the newer bluetooth system where you can upload your phonebook straight from your phone?

9. I wish this new G could come with the 6MT wheels on the coupe. I don't like the wheels on th '07. Would this be possible to switch to? This is probably up to the dealer though, huh?

10. I'm guessing the Navtraffic works with the navigation when routing just like the new Acura's.

Thanks guys. I look forward to spending many countless hours on this forum!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 PM
DWP
Most of your questions can be answered by the old hands here, except for the few that nobody has an answer for yet, but I can take a crack at your #5, the question about rattles in the TL vs. the G35. Just two words: "Ohio" and "Japan."

Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome. I won't try to answer all your question, but I can speak to a few.

1. If you walk away the car will beep to remind you, but will not shut off. It's no different than if you left your keys in a running car, except that if someone stole it they couldn't restart it if they shut it off or stalled it. In a nutshell it lets you lock/unlock and start the car without taking your keys out of your pocket. There are several threads about the details.

2. I have no idea what you mean. There is no slot for the fob (as in a BMW). The battery in the fob is supposed to be good for something like 8 years.

5. I have an '05 sedan with 18,000 km and I have only heard a couple of transient rattles or ticks, mostly when the weather is really cold. Others will tell you horror stories about rattles. YMMV.

7. Yes. The current G's all have standard TPMS.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
2. I have no idea what you mean. There is no slot for the fob (as in a BMW). The battery in the fob is supposed to be good for something like 8 years.
I think he means this slot.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by canuck
I think he means this slot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2WOjpKiPI
Wow, that's new to me - my '05 doesn't have it. What's it for? (it might be explained in the video, but I can't hear it on this PC)

Old 10-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
The vid doesn't explain what the slot is for, but I thought I read somewhere that it is for charging. Not sure though.

To the original poster, welcome to the board. I will leave most of the questions to some other posters as my 03 doesn't have intelligent key and some other things you were asking about.

As far as rattles are concerned, it seems different for everyone. I have 76,000 kms on my G and it doesn't rattle at all. But you will hear from others that there G is a rattle trap. Not sure if that helps, but good luck with your potential purchase.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's my video. I didn't say anything on it. I posted it on a thread. Basically, if your key fob runs out of battery, you can: 1) pull the key out to open the door, then 2) stick the key fob into the slot to the left of the steering column, and you can still start your car. I doubt it "charges" your fob, unless the fob has rechargable batteries.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
It's my video. I didn't say anything on it. I posted it on a thread. Basically, if your key fob runs out of battery, you can: 1) pull the key out to open the door, then 2) stick the key fob into the slot to the left of the steering column, and you can still start your car. I doubt it "charges" your fob, unless the fob has rechargable batteries.
Ahhh - it's because of the push button start on the '07's. My '05 IntelliKey has the twist style switch with a hidden key slot. If your fob battery dies you can take the internal key out of the fob and put it in the ignition switch to give the car an immobilizer chip signal. With push button start you have that fob slot for the same purpose.
Chances are, you'll never need to use it.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:06 PM
OK, somehow I found an online manual of the M35/45 and found that the slot does not recharge the FOB. Wouldn't that be cool though? But it would probably just be another thing in the car that has the potential to break.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere on this board that the new G's slot can recharge the fob, in the same way a Sonicare rechargeable toothbrush works (no electrical contacts). That would be very cool.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM
My '03 g shifts great. The shift speed depends on your rpms at the time of the shift. When I'm up there, the shifts are extremely quick, otherwise they're just good. I have had no problems with my tranny. Sometimes in Drive, it seems to kind of burp forward, like it's trying to say to me "Let's go pokey, I'm not a Buick!" This happens about once every 3 months.
I've had a few window rattles, Infiniti fixed it no problem. Outstanding car! It likes to run.
Let me say this too. When I first got the car, I used to clink the autostick up until it hit the casing, like I was trying to find the gearing. I learned to just nudge that baby forward just a bit and let her do her thing.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gspotter
I read somewhere on this board that the new G's slot can recharge the fob, in the same way a Sonicare rechargeable toothbrush works (no electrical contacts). That would be very cool.
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any inaccurate gossip with my post (you got that toothbrush thing from me...hehe). I didn't see any electrical contacts, so that's the assumption I made. But the more I thought about it, the more I didn't think it recharges it, because most key fobs use those regular flat watch batteries. But, I'm hoping I'm wrong, because recharging would be sweet! After all, they have that technically already in toothbrushes costing less than $20!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 AM
Another question that I have is do the doors lock when you walk away from the car?

If I were to shut off the engine and get out of the car and just close the door, would the locks engage when my intelligent key goes out of range? Or would I have to actually hit the lock button on the FOB to lock the doors?

Old 10-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Originally Posted by HuKaShI
Another question that I have is do the doors lock when you walk away from the car?

If I were to shut off the engine and get out of the car and just close the door, would the locks engage when my intelligent key goes out of range? Or would I have to actually hit the lock button on the FOB to lock the doors?
From what others have said, you would have to hit the lock button on the fob.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by HuKaShI

From what I've read around here, you have 2 ways to lock the car:
(1) Hit the lock button on the FOB
-or-
(2) Touch the button on the door handle on the way out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A few questions from a future buyer