G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 6M versus pre-2007 6M?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 6M versus pre-2007 6M?

Hi. I'm a prospective G35 owner. Interested in Sport 6M. I was able to find a Sport 5A to test-drive, but not a 6M. I've read some mild complaints about the manual transmission on a few reviews -- heavy clutch pedal, somewhat notchy and effortful shifter. I test-drove a 2004 G35 6M several years ago and had no problems with the transmission. Does the 2007 manual transmission feel the same as the pre-2007 G35?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after test driving the 07 6MT this week, they made quite an improvement on teh smoothness when engaging first gear particularly. The pedal is almost just as heavy, but feels more secure, and easier to work. So to answer your question, no, teh 07 does not feel the same as the pre-07, its better IMO

Old 11-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Car & Driver preferred the manual in the G35 to that in the 335i and really loved it. So I'd say Infiniti has made some improvements.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I've got an 05, which has a very light clutch - but the shifting has and always will be a bit deliberate. To me, its a good thing. That's probably by design, as they've come to calling it a "rifle bolt" action ... versus an extremely light or rubbery shift found on some other cars. Really just preference - but you won't be dissapointed with the 6MT by infiniti.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outstanding. I don't remember the clutch pedal from my 2004 G35 test drive, but I do remember liking the deliberate shifter. Looks like I'll be safe ordering a 6M after testing only the 5A. That is, when I'm ready to buy in a few months...

Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi all. I've only driven the current coupe once, for like 1 minute (my friend's). The throws didn't feel as short as I had expected. What about the new 6MT? I havent' test driven that 6MT yet, only the auto. I really want short shifter throws. And do you think I'll need to change the transmission fluid to Redline, for even better performance, or is the shifting pretty good already coming from factory?

Old 11-05-2006, 12:33 AM
bump

Old 11-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Hi all. I've only driven the current coupe once, for like 1 minute (my friend's). The throws didn't feel as short as I had expected. What about the new 6MT? I havent' test driven that 6MT yet, only the auto. I really want short shifter throws. And do you think I'll need to change the transmission fluid to Redline, for even better performance, or is the shifting pretty good already coming from factory?
I think it's still too early to say bro.

I'm anxious to hear more info as well from members that have 6mt now & can give a good report.
IIRC they have improved the synchros on the new box.....
so it should be better, especially in the bottom gears.

Clutch feel, linearity of engagemnt & effort are what I want to know more about.
My dealer is going to give me a shout as soon as he gets one in to drive.
I'll post my impressions as soon as I've tested it.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:45 AM
bump, anyone who drove the 07 6MT care to share their thoughts?

Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Staff Alumni
I test drove a 6MT last week. The first thing I noticed was how light the clutch pedal was. Feather light. The lightest pedal I've ever driven. My pedal is much stiffer; granted, I've got an aftermarket clutch, but I didn't expect the difference to be so great. As soon as I would touch the pedal, it would be to the floor. In comparison to my current clutch, I thought it was *too* light. It made for difficult modulation. But I'm biased.

Feedback was pretty good. Engagement isn't as abrupt as the 05 clutch. It's not considerably longer, but just enough to be noticeable.

I was very impressed with the shifter. There was very little vibration; but this car literally only had like 2 miles on it. And I didn't take it above four grand, so I don't know if it becomes baulky like the current model. Shifting was very precise, but not at all notchy. I've gotten used to the current shifter; it too is very price, but sometimes it feels like a round peg in a square hole kinda deal. The new shifter, by comparison, was butter.

After I drove it and got back into my car, I was already dreaming of a new 07. But I'm still very disappointed with the power.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Very little vibration? My shifter vibrates like crazy! Sometimes, I can't even leave my hand resting on it. But overall, I love it. So notchy compared to my Mazda6, which is already notchy in its class. Sometimes, I find myself not putting enough effort in the shift action, and I'd get stuck in neutral. Getting out of a dead stop is easy, too. The car is fairly forgiving. I find myself shifting like crazy because of the extremely high-rev engine. I sometimes stay in 4th on a 25mph residential avenue! It's fun -- you'll love it! (Now, the middle armrest glove compartment, that's a whole different story... )

Old 11-14-2006, 06:33 PM
The Car Connection just reviewed the 6MT, they said:

"But our own preference is the six-speed manual, among the best available in any car right now."

Old 11-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I test drove a 6MT last week. The first thing I noticed was how light the clutch pedal was. Feather light. The lightest pedal I've ever driven. My pedal is much stiffer; granted, I've got an aftermarket clutch, but I didn't expect the difference to be so great. As soon as I would touch the pedal, it would be to the floor. In comparison to my current clutch, I thought it was *too* light. It made for difficult modulation. But I'm biased.

Feedback was pretty good. Engagement isn't as abrupt as the 05 clutch. It's not considerably longer, but just enough to be noticeable.

I was very impressed with the shifter. There was very little vibration; but this car literally only had like 2 miles on it. And I didn't take it above four grand, so I don't know if it becomes baulky like the current model. Shifting was very precise, but not at all notchy. I've gotten used to the current shifter; it too is very price, but sometimes it feels like a round peg in a square hole kinda deal. The new shifter, by comparison, was butter.

After I drove it and got back into my car, I was already dreaming of a new 07. But I'm still very disappointed with the power.
I'm concerned about the clutch feel, too. I think my 2003 6MT is just right - not too stiff and not too light with just the right amount of feedback. I've heard that the 2005 or 2006 is much lighter - and now you are saying the 2007 is even lighter than that? My dealer hasn't had any 2007 6MTs to drive yet, and I haven't driven a manual made in a model year after '03 - but I hope to find out for myself soon. i would hate to give up the clutch feel I have in my 2003.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:12 PM
It's not that light, don't worry. My Mazda6's pedal was definitely more... springy. The G35's pedal does have some travel, but it's not bad at all, nor is it soft and feedback-less like some Hondas I've driven. Then again, I've never driven a BMW, so I wouldn't know what those are like.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Very little vibration? My shifter vibrates like crazy! Sometimes, I can't even leave my hand resting on it. But overall, I love it. So notchy compared to my Mazda6, which is already notchy in its class. Sometimes, I find myself not putting enough effort in the shift action, and I'd get stuck in neutral. Getting out of a dead stop is easy, too. The car is fairly forgiving. I find myself shifting like crazy because of the extremely high-rev engine. I sometimes stay in 4th on a 25mph residential avenue! It's fun -- you'll love it! (Now, the middle armrest glove compartment, that's a whole different story... )

I would not recommend resting your hand on the shifter regardless of vibration.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 6M versus pre-2007 6M?