G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How do you record music to the HD when

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wavelengths
So far I'm pretty happy with the Music Box functionality. I picked up some Ultra-Speed CDRW media and have just been loading stuff on as I go driving!

The quality could use some work, and I'd really, really love to clone the drive over to a ~80 GB drive instead and that way I could eventually move my whole library over instead of just a third to a fourth of it.

the size is acutally perfect. I have 300GB of mp3s, should i complain they didn't use a 500GB?

Sooner or later I'll have 1TB...

Old 11-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by JWangSDC
the size is acutally perfect. I have 300GB of mp3s, should i complain they didn't use a 500GB?

Damn bro, 300GB of MP3s is one sh!tload of tunes!!

Old 11-17-2006, 12:22 PM

Point is that Infiniti could have considered making the HDD as a user swappable unit (much like in PCs and the like).
Heck maybe we can take the old drive, dd the low level blocks over to a new drive "preserve" the nav system data and be going ....

its just that its not documented anywhere and it could've easily been done in a way that was user friendly ..... but hey its a sports car and I'd rather have that aspect of it done well

Old 11-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
well same thing w/ the nissan maxima 2005 we moved the info screen to the bottom of the center console and then installed a new monitor on top to replace that screen. here since it's all run off a HD we are trying to hack in to install programs and so forth like windows media player or a full set up.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought i saw u on the riaa's most wanted list

Old 11-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by wavelengths
So far I'm pretty happy with the Music Box functionality. I picked up some Ultra-Speed CDRW media and have just been loading stuff on as I go driving!

The quality could use some work, and I'd really, really love to clone the drive over to a ~80 GB drive instead and that way I could eventually move my whole library over instead of just a third to a fourth of it.
Wavelengths, what are you copying specifically? Are you burning CD's from your mp3 collection? If so, in what format are you creating them on the CD. Also, regarding song info - does the ID info get picked up in the Music Box / can Gracenote fill it in / can you get it via the missing file method using a CF card as posted on this site?

I don't have CD's for the majority of my collection, so the thought of burning everything to CD's first is not something I am looking forward to.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by SammyWah
Wavelengths, what are you copying specifically? Are you burning CD's from your mp3 collection? If so, in what format are you creating them on the CD. Also, regarding song info - does the ID info get picked up in the Music Box / can Gracenote fill it in / can you get it via the missing file method using a CF card as posted on this site?

I don't have CD's for the majority of my collection, so the thought of burning everything to CD's first is not something I am looking forward to.
I've encoded a CD's worth of MP3s to load up my music box. Nero does the conversion automatically for you if you create an Audio CD and it only takes a few minutes.

The quality is decent considering the double conversion, but I have a few problems with songs "skipping". Maybe I should lower my burn speed a bit.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by DeadPixel
I've encoded a CD's worth of MP3s to load up my music box. Nero does the conversion automatically for you if you create an Audio CD and it only takes a few minutes.

The quality is decent considering the double conversion, but I have a few problems with songs "skipping". Maybe I should lower my burn speed a bit.
So these are in the normal CD format that only allow 16-18 songs per CD? Does it pick up any song info or do you have to manually enter it on the Music Box?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:04 PM
So these are in the normal CD format that only allow 16-18 songs per CD? Does it pick up any song info or do you have to manually enter it on the Music Box?

Pciks up song info and holds 80 min of music. Standard format.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:08 PM
If you burn with CD Text (Nero does this well), then it will first "see" the CD-Text. It will also query the onboard Gracenote database for the CD - it does this off of a few ways, all automatically. Easiest is if you burn CD-Text of at least the album title and artist to the CD.

Gracenote DB information can be updated selectively through the Infiniti website (see the other thread) for new releases or odd stuff. And yes, there is a feature whereby you can input stuff manually (touch screen doesn't make this too bad at all, actually).

Old 11-17-2006, 02:48 PM
This is what I needed, thanks.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:20 PM
What is the actual format in which the songs are encoded? If it is regular mp3 then shame on infiniti. 132kbps will sound like crap, even if ripped from a source CD. Granted with all the noise while driving the crap effect is diminished, but we are not always driving. All the mp3s from CDs in my collection are at least 225kbps at a variable bit rate(using LAME). For me dropping to 160 or lower is a noticeable difference.

What aftermarket stereo options do think there will be without spending a fortune. I don't want to sound like a snob, but it is hard to justify a really big stereo install/modification on a car like this. Plus. if I ever get rid of the vehicle I want it to look like stock.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
the cd changer/in-dash cd player can't support playing mp3/wma right?

Old 11-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RED_G35S
the cd changer/in-dash cd player can't support playing mp3/wma right?
Correct.