G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Showroom Visit : First impressions on the 2007 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Showroom Visit : First impressions on the 2007 G35

Been eyeballing the new 07 G35 ever since its public release and finally when to check out one in person. Took my camera with me and went with a clean slate to capture my first impressions.

Hits:
- styling outside is absolutely gorgeous
- rear chrome trim looks pretty good in person
- interior sounds solid -- even the click of locking the door clicks is muted
- very kozy feel, definitely upscaled interior
- brushed aluminum wasabi thingy looks good in person
- liked the video and audio inputs, would have been bonus if it was s-video
Misses:
Minor:
- didn't see an obvious way to change the headlight bulbs. it looks all squished in there
Annoyances:
- there's a huge gap between the door and dash where the wasbi japanese knife thing goes. it kept on jumping out at me
- 6 disc changer doesn't play mp3s. man oh man. 6 disc cd only changers are so passe

Practical
- trunk is too small and the seats don't fold down. weird bulges make it odd shaped.
- rear middle seat is not usable due to that huge hump in the middle
- lack of storage areas -- the ones in the door and armrest are a joke, they're so tiny. glove box when opened can't open, hits the passengers knees
- there's a weird hump on the front passenger seat flooring that feels uncomfortable. forces the passenger to always stretch their legs. if you want to fold your knees up that big lump gets in the way.
- muffler tips looked cheap as when you look closer they are tacked on.

Anyways, went away somewhat disappointed. The practical aspects are annoying to me, and long term I think they'd start to get more annoying. The minor things like gaps I could live with cause really, the interior is very good. Anything like gaps would be just nit picking...

Attached Thumbnails Showroom Visit : First impressions on the 2007 G35-img_2389.jpg   Showroom Visit : First impressions on the 2007 G35-img_2393.jpg   Showroom Visit : First impressions on the 2007 G35-img_2404.jpg   Showroom Visit : First impressions on the 2007 G35-img_2394.jpg   Showroom Visit : First impressions on the 2007 G35-img_2408-collage.jpg  

Last edited by MrPotatoeHead; 11-13-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:44 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a huge gap between the door and dash where the wasbi japanese knife thing goes. it kept on jumping out at me
Yep, this is an annoyance to many.

All in all you have to remember that this is a sports sedan so things like "a usable middle rear seat" isn't THAT important to the majority in the market for this type of car. I didn't really notice the muffler tips, mostly because I didn't get on my hands and knees to look. This doesn't bother me though since I wouldn't see it. I'd be too busy driving.

Last edited by N50; 11-13-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Wasabi is the tasty green paste that comes with sushi. I hope I don't find any of that in my G

Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
I do kinda wonder why the rear wheel wells take up so much room in the trunk. The rear wheels are not that wide.

The gap in the Washi trim is interesting. With the tolerances on other parts of the car they surely could have made it razor thin if they had wanted to.
The fact that didn't means they didn't want to or they had a reason not to.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 PM
N50
Originally Posted by ChristianN
Wasabi is the tasty green paste that comes with sushi. I hope I don't find any of that in my G
I didn't have the heart to correct him...lol

Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by MrPotatoeHead
Been eyeballing the new 07 G35 ever since its public release and finally when to check out one in person. Took my camera with me and went with a clean slate to capture my first impressions.

Hits:
- styling outside is absolutely gorgeous
- rear chrome trim looks pretty good in person
- interior sounds solid -- even the click of locking the door clicks is muted
- very kozy feel, definitely upscaled interior
- brushed aluminum wasabi thingy looks good in person
- liked the video and audio inputs, would have been bonus if it was s-video
Misses:
Minor:
- didn't see an obvious way to change the headlight bulbs. it looks all squished in there
Annoyances:
- there's a huge gap between the door and dash where the wasbi japanese knife thing goes. it kept on jumping out at me
- 6 disc changer doesn't play mp3s. man oh man. 6 disc cd only changers are so passe

Practical
- trunk is too small and the seats don't fold down. weird bulges make it odd shaped.
- rear middle seat is not usable due to that huge hump in the middle
- lack of storage areas -- the ones in the door and armrest are a joke, they're so tiny. glove box when opened can't open, hits the passengers knees
- there's a weird hump on the front passenger seat flooring that feels uncomfortable. forces the passenger to always stretch their legs. if you want to fold your knees up that big lump gets in the way.
- muffler tips looked cheap as when you look closer they are tacked on.

Anyways, went away somewhat disappointed. The practical aspects are annoying to me, and long term I think they'd start to get more annoying. The minor things like gaps I could live with cause really, the interior is very good. Anything like gaps would be just nit picking...
I really like what's under the hood, but even worse than the gap, I hated the exposed wire running to the rearview mirror. That should be addressed for '08 I hope. I know the engineers probably thought who would look there, let's just run the wire exposed, but it's like sweeping dirt under the carpet imho, shouldn't be on a 40k car...

Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 PM
exosed wire on rear view mirror?

mine is enclosed in square plasit sleive

Old 11-13-2006, 08:02 PM
make that plastic

Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
has anyone heard how the 07 sedan sounds? the tips maybe tacke don but the system might be overall a better one.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John105
I really like what's under the hood, but even worse than the gap, I hated the exposed wire running to the rearview mirror. That should be addressed for '08 I hope. I know the engineers probably thought who would look there, let's just run the wire exposed, but it's like sweeping dirt under the carpet imho, shouldn't be on a 40k car...
Congrats, I think that's at least the 5th different post you've made about the exposed wire. LOL Now, everyone buying the car is sure to be looking for the flaw.

I agree with you on the wire btw, but it's far from a huge issue where it's located, and fixable by the owner if offensive.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I actually welcome that gap between the door and the dash. On my 05 that is the only problem squeak I ever had and it was between the door and the dash once and a while in the winter. I had clearance there in the summer but once in a while it would start squeaking there in the winter (I guess due to different expanding and contracting of parts in that particular instance). I could stop the squeak by shutting the door on a piece of paper between the door and the dash, it was tight enough that the paper was jambed and would stop the squeak. That same spot in the summer had lots of clearance.
So really I would rather see more gap than less.

and I couldn't care less about a little wire .

Old 11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Thank You

I will forever think of it as an expansion joint! LOL Really, when you hear that engine wind past 7 grand- or put down the windows andhear the exhaust- that lil gap just closes!

Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckg35
I will forever think of it as an expansion joint! LOL Really, when you hear that engine wind past 7 grand- or put down the windows andhear the exhaust- that lil gap just closes!
LOL Oh, I do hope I can hear that heavenly sound soon .

Old 11-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I actually welcome that gap between the door and the dash. On my 05 that is the only problem squeak I ever had and it was between the door and the dash once and a while in the winter. I had clearance there in the summer but once in a while it would start squeaking there in the winter (I guess due to different expanding and contracting of parts in that particular instance). I could stop the squeak by shutting the door on a piece of paper between the door and the dash, it was tight enough that the paper was jambed and would stop the squeak. That same spot in the summer had lots of clearance.
So really I would rather see more gap than less.

and I couldn't care less about a little wire .
Hey now that's a good way of looking at it the little gap. Bonus.

I don't know about the wire. Maybe you should cancel.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Congrats, I think that's at least the 5th different post you've made about the exposed wire. LOL Now, everyone buying the car is sure to be looking for the flaw.

I agree with you on the wire btw, but it's far from a huge issue where it's located, and fixable by the owner if offensive.
It just looks aftermarket that way--maybe they install it at the port and that's why it's like that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Showroom Visit : First impressions on the 2007 G35