G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

is it possible to watch dvd's on the 07's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it possible to watch dvd's on the 07's?

i'm no electronic freak by any means, so don't bash. i know there's the 3 aux plugs in the center console thing, and i was wondering is there something i can but like a portable dvd player that has no screen, that i can plug into the aux ports to watch dvd's on the lcd screen? i was hoping to maybe stick it in behind the passenger seat and just run the wires into the center console. only thing is that when i went to bestbuy they had the portables, but the power plug was the type that you'd put into your house wall sockets. i'm assuming you'd need a cigarette plug type of head obviously. any of you electrical savy ppl know if this is possible? can you link me to a certain model or a website that'll work on the car? thanks in advance

Old 12-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FrIsCo G35
i'm no electronic freak by any means, so don't bash. i know there's the 3 aux plugs in the center console thing, and i was wondering is there something i can but like a portable dvd player that has no screen, that i can plug into the aux ports to watch dvd's on the lcd screen? i was hoping to maybe stick it in behind the passenger seat and just run the wires into the center console. only thing is that when i went to bestbuy they had the portables, but the power plug was the type that you'd put into your house wall sockets. i'm assuming you'd need a cigarette plug type of head obviously. any of you electrical savy ppl know if this is possible? can you link me to a certain model or a website that'll work on the car? thanks in advance
Multiple solutions for the power issue: You can get cigarette lighter to AC adapters (those work okay), you can likely get a specific cig lighter power cord for a portable DVD player, and finally you can have a converter permanently installed. My neighbor has one in his truck, under the driver's seat - pretty cool, it's a regular 120V plug socket.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Waxer
You need to go look at the portible DVD players at Best Buy for example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703776691

You'll notice these come with a car kit:

Batteries, AC/DC adapter, car kit, remote and A/V cable included

Which means you can plug these into a cigarette lighter. I went shopping like you and found these units too big unless you are going to use it on an airplane, kids, etc. So like you I tried to find the smallest one I could without a screen. So here is what I'm getting for Xmas.

http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/Philips-Pet320.htm

It's not much bigger then a DVD but still has a small 3.5" screen.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:15 PM
bump. so i also read that playing dvd's or whatever will only work when the car is at a full rest and not when it's in motion. would that apply to these portables as well or will i be able to watch dvds and music videos while i drive if i just pick up one of these. and btw i'm referring to watching it on the 7" lcd and not on the monitor of the dvd player

Last edited by FrIsCo G35; 12-14-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 PM
bump. so i also read that playing dvd's or whatever will only work when the car is at a full rest and not when it's in motion. would that apply to these portables as well or will i be able to watch dvds and music videos while i drive if i just pick up one of these. and btw i'm referring to watching it on the 7" lcd and not on the monitor of the dvd player
From what I've read, the aux video input will only display in the car LCD screen only when the car is in "PARK".
(Maybe it needs the parking brake applied for MT cars)

Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by max2k1
From what I've read, the aux video input will only display in the car LCD screen only when the car is in "PARK".
(Maybe it needs the parking brake applied for MT cars)
Not only when the car is in park, but the parking brake must be on as well.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Traveling Administrator
will i be able to watch dvds and music videos while i drive if i just pick up one of these.
Not to sound like an @ss, but why would you want to watch movies and music videos while you are driving????? Don't you think that is just a little unsafe?? There are enough accidents on the road now without people trying to watch a movie while driving!!

I know it is just wishful thinking, but I personally hope that no hack will become available to allow this while the vehicle is in motion.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Seriously, I also see no point in having it be used while in motion... Why do you need more distractions?

Old 12-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what if it's a defensive driving course on DVD--they have those. on a serious note, i'd like it for a passenger to watch if we're on a road trip. my wife gets so bored when we drive home to see fam (3+ hours). if i could pop in a family guy dvd, we'd be good and i could always laugh at just the audio because i know the scenes by memory.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Not to sound like an @ss, but why would you want to watch movies and music videos while you are driving????? Don't you think that is just a little unsafe?? There are enough accidents on the road now without people trying to watch a movie while driving!!

I know it is just wishful thinking, but I personally hope that no hack will become available to allow this while the vehicle is in motion.
While I agree with your analysis, there is a new product from this company http://www.autosound2000.com/ipodadapters.htm
that allows one to see the ipod menu and album art on a tv screen. I think it would be really cool to have this feature, but it too would require a hack, even though it shouldn't cause any accidents.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Bigd2k6
what if it's a defensive driving course on DVD--they have those. on a serious note, i'd like it for a passenger to watch if we're on a road trip. my wife gets so bored when we drive home to see fam (3+ hours). if i could pop in a family guy dvd, we'd be good and i could always laugh at just the audio because i know the scenes by memory.
I guarantee you that if you have a DVD movie playing that is supposed to be for your passenger, you'll be inclined to watch some yourself. It is just too easy not to. It is only human nature. I just don't think it is a good idea at all. Any DVD watching in car should be isolated to overhead units that only people in the backseat can watch. Just my opinion.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Most of the movies my kids watch, I've seen so many times I don't even need (or want) to watch it to know what's going on. I think it would be nice to be able to play a DVD while driving down the road for the passengers. If there's ever a hack, I'll probably go for it. I understand the argument and agree that the driver should not watch.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck

it's called... for the passengers. in my friends cars they have the head units that play music videos where it's still like listening to a cd but the passengers and people in the back can watch it. but yea opinions are welcome, but i'm really just focused on whether it's possible to make it work or not that's it.

Last edited by FrIsCo G35; 12-14-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah its FOR the passengers but since its mounted right there in the middle, You'll be very tempted to look and be distracted, besides the fact that you can also get pulled over for it.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by vstrizheus
Yeah its FOR the passengers but since its mounted right there in the middle, You'll be very tempted to look and be distracted, besides the fact that you can also get pulled over for it.
Vasiliy, that is exactly my point. It may be intended for the passengers but it will still be distracting to the driver.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is it possible to watch dvd's on the 07's?