G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Paddle shifters in a X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paddle shifters in a X

As I understand, Infiniti decided not to make paddle shifters available in the X, which is a huge disappointment. Where i live, AWD is definitely a plus, and I am a huge believer in AWD performance in dry conditions. Is there an easy way to add them to the X? Can I just get a paddle shifter assembly from an S and swap it in, or is it alot more in-depth then that?

Old 12-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I don't think anyone has thought of this, yet attempt it. I'm sure it would be pretty difficult with a lot of work involved.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paddle shifters available on all models would detract from the sport model, as a buyer of the sport, I'm glad they don't put it on all models. I'm sure you can buy all the components, but it's probably very expensive to buy and install.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by kring
Paddle shifters available on all models would detract from the sport model, as a buyer of the sport, I'm glad they don't put it on all models. I'm sure you can buy all the components, but it's probably very expensive to buy and install.
Why do you think it would detract from the sport model? More control over the transmission is good for everyone

Old 12-26-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm pretty sure getting shifters will be easy compared to the problems with integrating the electronics and software (IMHO).

Old 12-26-2006, 02:02 PM
It all depends on the underlying software included in all models. In my Touareg, they only made paddle shifters available for European models but people here in the States have easily purchased the kits and installed themselves - almost plug and play.

This is something that will just need to be toyed with, I guess.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:18 PM
More control over the transmission and the ease/fun of shifting is definitely a plus. Personally I am a firm believer in AWD performance cars. The STi and EVO are what they are because of their AWD. Hell even my 5.9L grand cherokee that I drive is as fast and fun to drive all because of the AWD it has. From strictly a performance stand point, I would take the X any day over the S.

Yea i figured that installation of paddle shifters definitely depends on how the X is set up from the factory. If the wiring and software is already there, then it should be plug and play. If not then it could end up being a complicated custom job.

Does anyone know the X is set up?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CorumG35
Why do you think it would detract from the sport model? More control over the transmission is good for everyone
Because one of the key factors in having the sport model are the paddle shifters.

So if any other model had them, it would basically make the sport model useless.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure where you live, but I live in minnesota and I don't consider AWD a requirement for any vehicle. The EVO and STi are not AWD because they are performance vehicles. They are AWD because they are derived from rally vehicles. Rally vehicles are designed to race in literally ANY condition. There are definitely cases where AWD makes sense, especially in performance driving. There are also cases where AWD doesn't really matter, and can potentially be worse. In apples to apples cars, where the drive wheels are the only difference AWD will ALWAYS be heavier and heavier on slick ice is not a good thing.

Not to detract from AWD though, but if you look at the history of performance sports cars, the vast majority are RWD. AWD is definitely useful when you start getting into the 400+ HP category and start being able to easily break free even the stickiest of tires.

One area that AWD excels in is starting from a stop in slick conditions. RWD is less effective there, but snow tires evens the playing field. Tirerack or one of the car magazines did a comparison with top end tires, and the snow/ice traction came down to, from best to worst:
AWD-Snow tires, FWD-Snow tires, RWD-Snow tires, AWD-A/S, FWD-A/S, RWD-A/S, AWD-Summer, FWD-summer, RWD-summer

Basically, with good snow tires, a RWD vehicle has as good if not better traction than AWD with all seasons (which is what most people do when they get AWD).

The primary difference is the predictability factor. AWD and FWD vehicles are much much more intuitive in their behavior when slipping. RWD requires someone to get a little used to it. However once you're used to RWD you can predict slippery behavior just as easily as a seasoned AWD or FWD driver.

The one area that AWD excels at is in cases where there's some area of non-slick surfaces intermingled in with slick surfaces. AWD gives 2 extra drive wheels the chance to grab onto something to control your slide. However, with modern traction control, the odds aren't that bad for RWD either.

Or in cases where you're already going sideways. being able to force extra power to the front wheels may allow you to control and pull out of the sideways slide a little better than RWD.

The key is, the right tire for the right conditions and less which drive wheels are pushing you forward.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:28 PM
This begs the question - are there any Nissan / Infiniti engineers on this site... not just for the '07 G35 but for the G35 in genreal? (I might start a new thread asking that question). On my Touareg forum (VWVortex) some engineers from Germany are members which has helped a TON. Having someone like that on this forum would be so helpful.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:16 PM
bump

Does anyone know if it is possible to add, and how much it will cost?

Old 04-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by fasttommyv
bump

Does anyone know if it is possible to add, and how much it will cost?
$22,431.99

Old 04-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
$22,431.99
Wow, that's not bad

Old 04-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Wow, that's not bad
A bargain at twice the price.