G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Baby carseats in 07 G35S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby carseats in 07 G35S

Hey everyone! I have a question that some of ya'll might be able to help me out with. I am doing some research for my sister on these cars (she is wanting to buy one soon), but she is wondering about putting a carseat for her 2 and a half year old in the car. Apparently it is safest for the kid to be put in the middle of the backseat and not on either side, I guess due to the chances of side impacts. So in the 07 G35's, there is a "hump" in the middle of the back seat. Do any of ya'll put your baby seats in the middle on this hump, and if so, how secure is it from wobbling around side to side? In the car she has now (325i), the rear seat is pretty much flat and the baby seat is secure. She just doesn't want it to be unsecure in the G.

So give me some solutions, suggestions, pictures, etc. of this dilemma please! I do not know the model of seat that she has, but I can find out if need be. It's nothing fancy like a Recaro or anything. Thanks so much!!!

BTW, this is my first post although I drive a WRX

Old 01-23-2007, 09:43 PM
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cars/135900-2007-g35-sedan-sport-prem.html

You can see a pic of the back seat on my above link.

Here, see the attached pics I just took of my back seat.

Attached Thumbnails Baby carseats in 07 G35S-p1010089.jpg   Baby carseats in 07 G35S-p1010090.jpg   Baby carseats in 07 G35S-p1010092.jpg  

Last edited by mchong75; 01-23-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks, appreciate it! I see that you have your car for sale. That's the exact car that my sis is looking at (including the light interior), except she wants a silver car, not white. Beautiful car though!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by G35sATX
So in the 07 G35's, there is a "hump" in the middle of the back seat. Do any of ya'll put your baby seats in the middle on this hump, and if so, how secure is it from wobbling around side to side? In the car she has now (325i), the rear seat is pretty much flat and the baby seat is secure. She just doesn't want it to be unsecure in the G.

So give me some solutions, suggestions, pictures, etc. of this dilemma please! I do not know the model of seat that she has, but I can find out if need be. It's nothing fancy like a Recaro or anything. Thanks so much!!!

BTW, this is my first post although I drive a WRX
There's sure enough a pretty big hump in the middle. Maybe build up the two back seats with folded towels to create a level surface?

Not that I'm trying to change your sister's mind, but we always put our kids in the separate seats (sorta happens that way with two ).

We'll forgive the WRX, at least it's fast

Old 01-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
There's sure enough a pretty big hump in the middle. Maybe build up the two back seats with folded towels to create a level surface?

Not that I'm trying to change your sister's mind, but we always put our kids in the separate seats (sorta happens that way with two ).

We'll forgive the WRX, at least it's fast
haha, thanks for the "forgiveness" - I'm afraid the G might be faster though!!

I suggested the towel thing to her, but she seems to think that it won't be "stable" enough, and that the seat isn't supposed to even budge an inch. I personally think that something like that would work, or at least I could devise some sort of "platform" of some sort that would work.

I'm hoping that some of ya'll who do only have one kid will chime in. Surely there have got to be some out of you there!!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Is there even a seat anchor for a middle child seat? I haven't looked for one, but the subwoofer is right there.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
according to the owners manual, you have to use the lap belt for the center position, and should not use the LATCH system.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 PM
How about on a non sport car without the tunnel...Would tht be an option?

I am close to buying one as well. Do not plan to get a sport and would like to be able to put the child seat mid mounted as well (with the latches if they are there in the G35 non sport)??? I agree, it really is a safer option...If side mounted, could the rear curtain airbags (which I think the new G has) cause a problem, or help?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure what this "tunnel" that you speak of on the non sport car is. As far as I know, regular G and sports G's rear seats are exactly the same. I'm not sure about the curtain airbags, but that makes sense that they could hurt the kid.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Maybe I am thinking of the X vs the Sport?

Anyway, is that back middle seat at least usable for an adult? Or is it a tad uncomfortable, but serviceable for a short ride?

Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I would actually not recommend putting a booster seat in the center position unless it is tethered using the LATCH system (if it is there).

I have a 6 year old and when I put his booster in the center position. He tipped over as I cornered (He thought is was funny) There is no LATCH attachment on our booster. Maybe I cornered too hard? Should I have NOT used the shoulder strap? I ended up putting him in the outboard position.

We normally use our SUV for kiddie transport so this is not really an issue for me. It was just that one ride, but I'd like to read what others are doing as well.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by griffey222
Maybe I am thinking of the X vs the Sport?

Anyway, is that back middle seat at least usable for an adult? Or is it a tad uncomfortable, but serviceable for a short ride?
The back seat can accommodate 3 adults...depending on their size.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by G35sATX
Thanks, appreciate it! I see that you have your car for sale. That's the exact car that my sis is looking at (including the light interior), except she wants a silver car, not white. Beautiful car though!
Thanks for the compliment. Hate selling it so soon, but I'm ready for the BIG commitment. Owning a house that is.

Are you sure your sister wouldn't like the Ivory Pearl? She can save hundreds of $$$ on sales tax.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I would actually not recommend putting a booster seat in the center position unless it is tethered using the LATCH system (if it is there).
On page 1-18 of the owners manual it specifically says to not use the LATCH system when putting a car seat in the middle position. I'm not sure why, but that's what it says. But you can use the regular seat belt to strap it in though.

That tipping over thing is what we don't want to happen!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by mchong75
Thanks for the compliment. Hate selling it so soon, but I'm ready for the BIG commitment. Owning a house that is.

Are you sure your sister wouldn't like the Ivory Pearl? She can save hundreds of $$$ on sales tax.
I'll ask her tonight, see what she says.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Baby carseats in 07 G35S