G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Update: G35 Nav w/ Sirius

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
there is no aftermarket tuner we install -- it's the Infiniti Sirius brain and antennas to work like usual as if it came from the factory (excluding the antenna)
Can you please go into more detail on this? it's very interesting and I'm definitly looking for this. Questions:

1.) Is the second antena also a fin antenna? or is it the little round (or square) magnetic antenna?

2.) if it's a seperate antenna can it feed throught the same hole that the fin antenna feeds through, so you don't have to run anythign on the trunk. and can you place the antenna right in front of the fin antenna?

3.) How do you control the unit? through the Nav head unit? is it fully functional? and if so, does it say XM radio when you are on it, but it plays Sirius and does it download the entire Sirius content.. so you can see what channels are available and when updates come, you recieve the updates?

Thanks for posting this information, I think to some, it might be suprising how many people prefer Sirius. it's like the Dish vs. DirecTV argument, but those who have directTV have their justifications as to why it's unmistakably better then DISH or Cable, and the others have their arguments... none the less, it is a persons preference... and if you can clarify some of the above, you have the opportunity to make a lot of peoples experience that much better.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by kring
Can you please go into more detail on this? it's very interesting and I'm definitly looking for this. Questions:
weren't you the one that was rude in the other post?

i thought you said your dealer ordered your '07 G w/ sirius and Nav already?

but yes i'm here to be informative i'll let that silde

Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 PM

1.) Is the second antena also a fin antenna? or is it the little round (or square) magnetic antenna? it looks like the same factory antenna that comes on a coupe... small black stick on the roof antenna

2.) if it's a seperate antenna can it feed throught the same hole that the fin antenna feeds through, so you don't have to run anythign on the trunk. and can you place the antenna right in front of the fin antenna? u still have to run the wiring into the source that sits in the trunk

3.) How do you control the unit? through the Nav head unit? is it fully functional? and if so, does it say XM radio when you are on it, but it plays Sirius and does it download the entire Sirius content.. so you can see what channels are available and when updates come, you recieve the updates? if you add Sirius.... XM IS DELETED OUT OF THE CAR w/ the exception of the body colored roof antenna....

Thanks for posting this information, I think to some, it might be suprising how many people prefer Sirius. it's like the Dish vs. DirecTV argument, but those who have directTV have their justifications as to why it's unmistakably better then DISH or Cable, and the others have their arguments... none the less, it is a persons preference... and if you can clarify some of the above, you have the opportunity to make a lot of peoples experience that much better.

here answered the questions for you...
to control the sirius it's the same way as you control XM -- use the AM/FM/Radio button on your console

Old 02-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
well we tested a '07 G35x and we all know it comes with XM satellite factory installed for the real time nav traffic....

if you do not plan to subscribe to XM or XM NavTraffic and only want Sirius then we can install it from the dealership

you will have to pay for the Sirius Satellite Unit, antenna, and labor but it works fine.

only downfall is that you'll have 2 antennas -- a body colored XM antenna and the black sirius antenna.

I know a lot of people want Sirius but this is the best option to get a '07 G w/ premium nav and to have sirius --
I got a quote of about $700 for this. Has anyone else had it done yet? Any pics?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by J. Diddy
I got a quote of about $700 for this. Has anyone else had it done yet? Any pics?
Mine is scheduled for March 2nd install, when I have my first oil change and service. I'll let you know how it goes and post pics. My price was free, since I ordered the car that way, and it wasn't until after the car was ordered that they realized it wouldn't come in. so they are doing it gratis.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for this info Kenny.

I am one of the people who prefers Sirius to XM, and am looking to add it to my Nav-equipped 2007 G35x.

Regarding the $700, EverythingG35.com has factory Sirius satellite radio kits for $234, which includes the roof antenna. I don't know for certain whether they will work in the 2007 model. I did e-mail EverythingG35 asking them about it, they said they hadn't tried it on a 2007 w/ Nav yet but believe it would probably work.

If anyone has tried it themselves with the kit from EverythingG35 or Infiniti-Parts.com (as opposed to the dealer install), let us know.

I'll probably try it myself soon, if so, I'll definitely post on how to do it and how it turned out. Just not sure about the aesthetics of the double roof fins, I'm almost thinking I might keep the second antenna in the car on the rear deck under the back window.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by CodingDane
Just not sure about the aesthetics of the double roof fins, I'm almost thinking I might keep the second antenna in the car on the rear deck under the back window.
That's my biggest concern, too. The rear deck is a good idea.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Mine is scheduled for March 2nd install, when I have my first oil change and service. I'll let you know how it goes and post pics. My price was free, since I ordered the car that way, and it wasn't until after the car was ordered that they realized it wouldn't come in. so they are doing it gratis.
just make sure you keep the XM converter unit in case you ever want to put it back in the car.

i remember when you said they ordered it that way im suprised those guys at the dealership didn't read the big print on product knowledge

the 2007 Satellite radio units are different from older models. i do'nt have part #'s but you can order it from any dealership and everythingg35 should get it.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:52 PM
This may all be irrelevant soon.

I hope this thread doesn't diverge into yet another debate about possible SatRad mergers, however, the following news just broke:

Sirius and XM may announce a merger as soon as tomorrow
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17228226/

Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Not very often that a merger has a positive impact on consumers

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02192007...ter_lauria.htm

I hope this thread doesn't diverge into yet another debate about possible SatRad mergers, however, the following news just broke:

Old 02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Sweet, I'll get the best of both worlds, I'll get my Nav traffic and Stern....ahh this is good.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by coupin827
Sweet, I'll get the best of both worlds, I'll get my Nav traffic and Stern....ahh this is good.
Yeah, but probably not until the merger is finalized in late 2008, right?

Old 02-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Nice find Dane! The article is good, but I think they have a simple common sense piece missing, they talk about complicated hardware transition and incompatible radios, when in actuality it doesn't matter what the hardware is, they could simple broadcast all XM stations over Sirius's satellite and vice versa, making it so no matter what unit you have XM or Sirius, you'll get both companies stations... problem solved in a week.

Their biggest issue will be the anti-trust, but I bet they can get past that since "Radio" is recieved in many formats, and it's an optional fee based service. How many land based cable companies do you have beating down your door to provide you TV service? Everywhere I've ever lived had a monopoly on cable. rarely do you have comcast, adelphia and time warner all offering service in the same town. How's that not anti-trust and Sat Radio would be? double standard for entertainment delivery.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
I dont think they will have too much trouble since by and large the satellite offerings are "the same" anyway. When I got XM in my old Z and my wife has Sirius in her FX we compared the stations. Most of the talk/TV stations are the same. Most of the music offerings are very very similar on both - IE a station on XM has virtually the same playlist as one on Sirius. Celebrity shows and sports offerings are where a merger will help both sides. But as for the music and talk, its all the same anyway.

And yes I say "all the same" but of course its not EXACTLY the same, so please no nitpicking here.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:28 PM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Update: G35 Nav w/ Sirius