G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Navigation Time Miscalculations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HyperM3
Uh, yeah. That whole system is still there controlling the sound, climate control, and voice recognition without the nav upgrade. So thats where my $500 garmin is superior to the $2k dealer installed option. Oh wait, plus I can put my garmin in any other car I want, and I can bring it with me on vaction to use in rental cars. Can you do that with your $2k option?
I didnt know the voice recognition system came unless you bought the Nav package, my bad. Also does your handheld have a 10GB hard drive?

I'm not questioning that it has good features, you're just not being accurate in comparing a nav unit to a "$2,000 device" since that "device" includes a lot more than just navigation features.

Last edited by dcmidnight; 02-17-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by HyperM3
Uh, yeah. That whole system is still there controlling the sound, climate control, and voice recognition without the nav upgrade. So thats where my $500 garmin is superior to the $2k dealer installed option. Oh wait, plus I can put my garmin in any other car I want, and I can bring it with me on vaction to use in rental cars. Can you do that with your $2k option?
If you don't want/like the Navi option on the G, simply don't get it. If you think your Garmin is superior, that's great. I just don't see what your point is bagging on the G's Navi system. Both the G's Navi system and the Garmin have their pros and cons.

And you can't say the Navi system is $2k alone, as it includes other things like the Music Box, CF slot, Voice recognition, and XM satellite radio.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
If you don't want/like the Navi option on the G, simply don't get it. If you think your Garmin is superior, that's great. I just don't see what your point is bagging on the G's Navi system. Both the G's Navi system and the Garmin have their pros and cons.

And you can't say the Navi system is $2k alone, as it includes other things like the Music Box, CF slot, Voice recognition, and XM satellite radio.
+1. I think he's ignoring your latter point however.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
I didnt know the voice recognition system came unless you bought the Nav package, my bad.
It doesn't, only the Navi package includes the voice recognition.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
It doesn't, only the Navi package includes the voice recognition.
Yeah sorry, forget the [sacrasm on] tag for that post...

Old 02-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Traveling Administrator
Yeah sorry, forget the [sacrasm on] tag for that post...
Haha, gotcha!

To the OP, so far in my limited driving with the 07, the ETA has proved to be very accurate. I've noticed that it has been accurate right down to the minute. I have mine set to Auto.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I didnt know the voice recognition system came unless you bought the Nav package, my bad. Also does your handheld have a 10GB hard drive?

I'm not questioning that it has good features, you're just not being accurate in comparing a nav unit to a "$2,000 device" since that "device" includes a lot more than just navigation features.
Im not trying to "bag" on the nav system. Also, what do I need a 10gb hard drive for in my nuvi? I can still hook up my mp3 player to the standard audio system. I just dont see what the $2k actually gives you. Ok, so I made a mistake about the voice recognition, I was thinking bluetooth link.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Good grief, I wasn't insulting the car or the nav unit. I just am trying to figure out if it is my particular unit that is not working, either due to not setting it up right or being in a less-supported part of the country. The only thing I have it to compare to is the Garmin unit I had for a few months before getting my G, and that system is fairly good at estimating destination times, so I would assume that the much more expensive system should be too. All I wanted to know is if other people experienced the same problems or if it's just me. But, of course, somehow that got taken as a personal attack against peoples' particular cars...

--Brendan--

Old 02-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by kubrendan
Good grief, I wasn't insulting the car or the nav unit. I just am trying to figure out if it is my particular unit that is not working, either due to not setting it up right or being in a less-supported part of the country. The only thing I have it to compare to is the Garmin unit I had for a few months before getting my G, and that system is fairly good at estimating destination times, so I would assume that the much more expensive system should be too. All I wanted to know is if other people experienced the same problems or if it's just me. But, of course, somehow that got taken as a personal attack against peoples' particular cars...

--Brendan--
Brendan,

Relax they were talking about me. You're fine and have been asking good questions.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

--Brendan--
Brendan, I have experienced exactly the same things as you. I have the Garmin 330c and it seems to be much more accurate at time estimates. I am somewhat dissappointed that the OEM does not seem as good in a lot of respects. But, it does get me from point a to b and I am still glad I got it .

Old 03-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Again, I don't think my original question is being read. Yes, the system updates. That's not the issue. My question regards the initial estimate--which is wildly inaccurate for my system. If I am traveling from point A to point B, and it is highway the whole way (65 mph speed limit), a 30 mile drive should not be estimated to take 60 minutes. The system should know that the highway in question has a speed limit of 70--that's what "auto" should do. Not all highways or residential streets should be treated the same. And that's what my handheld system would do--sure, it wouldn't be completely accurate since you can get stuck in traffic (although that doesn't happen much around here), but it would be pretty close. So that's why I am asking if people in other parts of the country have better luck with their systems than I seem to be having.

--Brendan--
I have no experience with the Factory Nav. However, the initial ETA on my Garmin 320 ($250 on ebay a year ago) is usually within 3 to 4 minutes on a 1 hour route. Go in and adjust your route speed settings and you should be good to go.

Fastest vs Shortest. I do a LOT of back roads driving and the "shortest" route is usually the fastest. I have had my Garmin want to take me 35 miles out of my way to make the "fastest" route. No way.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:42 AM
The G35 is my 3rd new car with on-board navigation (two BMW's previously) and they have all sucked in regards to estimating arrival times. I have no explaination as to why the OEM systems don't do as well in that area as the hand-helds.

In general, if it weren't for the integration of the on-board OEM Nav systems with the phone and the audio systems, I'd just go with a hand-held unit. In the specific case of the G35, there's also the bonus of being able to use the left over hard drive space for music.