G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How do you Lock and Unlock the car when you have passengers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you Lock and Unlock the car when you have passengers?

I'm finding the door button to be clumsy when driving with passengers and am resorting to the intellikey fob. I thought that when I approached the passanger could just press the button on the handle and it would unlock the door from what I read in the instruction manual... but it's not working. so I press the button a second time it locks the doors on me (because I waited the 5 seconds) then I have to press the button two more times to unlock the passenger door.

I'm I the only one getting made to look like a fool by the intellikey ? it's got me laughing, but I was hoping to take advantage of the new technology but I'm finding myself going back to the old ways.

Also when locking the car I have to stand next to the door until the passenger gets out and closes the door, otherwise If I push the button it starts beeping like crazy at me and doesn't lock the door.

and if anyone can clarify, it doesn't seem like the button sets the alarm, only the intellikey sets the alarm? or is it just that the horn doesn't sound, but the car is actually alarmed??

I did spend some time looking at the manual, but I read that you can open the passenger door by pressing the button, but it really doesn't work for my car.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I've had my wife unlock her side of the car while the intelligent key is in my pocket. I do have to wait for her to close her door before I lock the car via the button on the door handle. Also, locking the door via the button on the door handle does activate the alarm.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
New car inabilitys................

Every time you get a new car it takes time to iron out the unknowns. Give
it a few weeks until you become aquainted with your new car before you
start making changes. Once you figure everything out you'll enjoy the
quality ride you purchased.........reading the instruction manual helps too.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you press the unlock button on the fob two times in a row, it will unlock all the doors.

If you press the lock button on the fob, it will sound the horn, lock the car, and issue two beeps.

After you exit the car, if you press the black button on the door handle, from either side of the car, it will lock the car and make two beeps (without the horn).

When you are getting into the car, if you use the black button on the door handle, pressing it once will unlock only that door. If you press it twice quickly, it will unlock all doors.

So, if I have passangers, I double click the key fob unlock button and I am good to go. If I choose to open the door for my wife, I press the black button twice, so it unlocks her door, then all the doors, so I can get in without a problem.

I think it is a very nice system and now I am completely used to it. Give it some time, and practice, and I think you will like it also.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
If you don't like the double press to unlock all doors (I hate it) you can disable the 'selective door unlock' option under 'comfort and conv.' after that, one press on the fob or the black button will unlock all doors at once.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:03 PM
double press is standard on every bmw, audi, subaru, and now infiniti i've had... you can disable it if you want

Old 02-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisbel
If you don't like the double press to unlock all doors (I hate it) you can disable the 'selective door unlock' option under 'comfort and conv.' after that, one press on the fob or the black button will unlock all doors at once.
chrisbel --- Awesome! that's the fix I'm looking for! I just set it and tested in now, that simplifies the process.

the way I'm reading the manual is that the passenger side button only works if the fob is physically located on the passenger side of the car. so if two of us are walking up to the car only I am able to use the button. only if I were to walk around to the other side of the car would that button be active.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by kring
chrisbel --- Awesome! that's the fix I'm looking for! I just set it and tested in now, that simplifies the process.

the way I'm reading the manual is that the passenger side button only works if the fob is physically located on the passenger side of the car. so if two of us are walking up to the car only I am able to use the button. only if I were to walk around to the other side of the car would that button be active.
That's my understanding too. The key only has a certain radius and the passenger side door is probably too far away if you have the key on you on the drivers side. If you want the passenger to be able to just walk up and get in without waiting for you to get to the door first, just pull out the key and hit the middle button to unlock the doors before you get to the car.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dude_abides
That's my understanding too. The key only has a certain radius and the passenger side door is probably too far away if you have the key on you on the drivers side. If you want the passenger to be able to just walk up and get in without waiting for you to get to the door first, just pull out the key and hit the middle button to unlock the doors before you get to the car.
+2

I've been lazy, but my wife is getting tired of waiting. So guess I'll use the actual "remote" from now on...

Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
make them wait especially if its cold out lol

Old 02-20-2007, 08:25 PM
The "zone" is only 24" with the intellikey from what the salesman told me on Saturday.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by dude_abides
The key only has a certain radius and the passenger side door is probably too far away if you have the key on you on the drivers side.
Actually, my wife and I tested this. She was able to unlock her door while I had my intelligent key in my pocket on the other side of the car.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by G35Now!
+2

I've been lazy, but my wife is getting tired of waiting. So guess I'll use the actual "remote" from now on...
Just get your wife to carry her own intelligent key in her purse......that way she won't have to wait for your slow @ss!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Just get your wife to carry her own intelligent key in her purse......that way she won't have to wait for your slow @ss!
Then he'll have a whole new problem because the car will sense her key first and switch to her preset

Old 02-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Oh right - then I can lose about one a year! The good news is that apparently with the incessant washing / glowing etc. of the car, she's terrified to even go near it

I did start wondering why I'm usually behind her tho - either she has a nice @ss (true), or I'm admiring the G (also true )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you Lock and Unlock the car when you have passengers?