G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 Journey vs. Sport Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Journey vs. Sport Question

Heading to the dealer again today and I just want to get a feeler from everyone. I am going to get the new 07 G35 Sedan - I'm just trying to figure out Journey vs. Sport. On both cars I am going to get the premium, navigation and technology packages and on the Journey I would add the performance wheel & tire package. I am kind of torn because I really like the wheat leather for interior color choice but that only comes in the Journey models and not the sport. In turn, I really like the sport seats. Do you guys that have the sports think the seats and paddle shifters are really worth the extra $1,550 as long as I add all the other packages?

Old 02-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Can't you just order one the way you want it?

Old 02-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I tossed around this same question when I bought mine a couple weeks ago.
Journey vs. Sport... for me it was the seats (I used to be a coupe guy so the standard seats feel wierd to me now), front facia, and brakes that swayed me to get the sport.

I ended up getting a 07 Sport 6MT Black on Black w/ Premium only.
I'm picking up the car today.

Anyway...Here's my $.02
The "add" is really $1,100 beacause you are already buying the 18's ($400 option). So...for your $1,100 you'll get the following that you won't get in the Journey: Sport Seats, Paddle Shifters, Larger Brakes, a more "sporty"/"aggressive" looking front bumper and side sills, aluminum petals, and Limited Slip Diff. For me, the Seats, and the better looking bumper were the 2 big things...I'm a former coupe guy and didn't like the feel of the standard seats.

As you now, you'll give up the option of a wheat interior, and the Rosewood Trim (unless you go 6MT). A nice alternative to wheat interior is the "stone" interior which is available on the Sport. It's a little more grey than the wheat, and in my opinion goes better w/ the aluminum trim.

I would have them put the 2 cars side by side and take your time and look from all angles. Then drive them both. Your gut will make the decision for you. They should have no problem doing this...judging from your post above, you're buying a $40K+ car. If they do, find a different dealer.

BTW...If you end up going w/ wheat and the Journey, the Rosewood Trim looks awesome w/ it...especailly on the Ivory Pearl.

I hope this helps...
Let me know what you end up deciding on...I'm curious now.

-DEZ

Old 02-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by butterwm
Heading to the dealer again today and I just want to get a feeler from everyone. I am going to get the new 07 G35 Sedan - I'm just trying to figure out Journey vs. Sport. On both cars I am going to get the premium, navigation and technology packages and on the Journey I would add the performance wheel & tire package. I am kind of torn because I really like the wheat leather for interior color choice but that only comes in the Journey models and not the sport. In turn, I really like the sport seats. Do you guys that have the sports think the seats and paddle shifters are really worth the extra $1,550 as long as I add all the other packages?
Yes The paddle shifters are great (can't imagine driving without them now, I keep reaching for them in other cars), and the seats are just about perfect.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:07 AM
If it helps you out, I never use the "sport" adjustable bolsters. Im pretty big at 6'4" 220 so maybe theyre just a good fit, but the bolsters when inflated make it feel like Im getting pushed out of the seat.

However, the kicker for me was the LSD with the sport, no peg leg burnouts while trying to get away from a stop light.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey FCar-
How you you like your 6MT?
I'm picking mine up today...it was kindof an impule decision to go 6MT and everybody tells me I won't regret it.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by CFar
If it helps you out, I never use the "sport" adjustable bolsters. Im pretty big at 6'4" 220 so maybe theyre just a good fit, but the bolsters when inflated make it feel like Im getting pushed out of the seat.

However, the kicker for me was the LSD with the sport, no peg leg burnouts while trying to get away from a stop light.
+1 on the LSD.

I liked the seats and the fascia better on the S, but the brakes and the LSD were the primary reason for going S.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Well, for me I knew I was going to put aftermarket rims on mine so no gain from going with the sport.

I liked the Journey front bumper better than the one on the sport so +1 for Journey here.

I'm a big guy (245lbs) and was worried about the seats in the sport not being wide enough. But this may not be an issue because I haven't heard anyone
say anything about it.

Would have liked the LSD but I don't drive hard enough to break the tires
loose most of the time and I don't race and rarely if ever take VDC off anyway, so an LSD would really not matter much.

The paddle shifters... Meh. DS mode (non-manual) works great and you don't risk blowing your motor. I would be afraid to really get on the gas
and try and manually shift my G. There's a little delay in shifting and the car
goes to redline so fast in 1st you hardly have time to think before it's time to shift.

Would have liked the bigger front brake rotors on the sport but I knew I would most likely be putting aftermarket slotted rotors on anyway IF I don't trade on an '08 or '09 model.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I had the exact same question and test drove the following cars:

Journey with 17" wheels
Ride was too soft, kind of glided along on the big bubbly tires, by far the most luxurious and smooth ride, but if you're getting a G you're probably looking for a sporty feel which this one didn't have.

Sport 6MT
The clutch was hard to work with. I'm sure with time you would get used to it, but seemed difficult to make a smooth engagement at low speeds, and lead to a somewhat jerky test drive.

Sport AT
The best of the bunch, no complaints. The sport suspension is noticeable and makes you feel like you're driving a true sports car. Looks great and has all the options.

Journey with 18" performance wheel package
Surprisingly similar to the sport, not much difference in feel without the sport suspension, although if you drive them back to back you will notice a slight difference. Is it worth the $1100 savings over the sport? Personally I could care less about the paddle shifters, or seat adjuster. You should drive them both and see if you notice a difference.

I would have gone with the sport if they had it in stock, but it would have been a 2 month wait. They had the Journey with the color combination I wanted with premium, nav, and tech, wheel package in stock so I pulled the trigger, and am very happy with my choice. Absolutely beautiful car.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Bad Toro
Get the seats. The good thing with color is that it grows on you. If you get Graphite interior it can match pretty much any exterior color and it looks sporty.

The seats themselves (even without the other extras like paddle shifters, front fascia, etc.) are worth getting the sport package. You won't regret it.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
When I ordered my G last June, I was between the Sport and the X. I ended up going with the Sport and have NO regrets. The Sport seats alone make it worth it IMO, but the added things like the VLSD, aluminum pedals, paddle shifters, and side sills made the choice more than worth it. Only you can decide if those things are worth it to you though. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Another key feature in the sport is the bigger brakes. One avoided rear ender will pay for itself!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by MoCoG
+1 on the LSD.

I liked the seats and the fascia better on the S, but the brakes and the LSD were the primary reason for going S.
It's growing on me. I had an STi with what was probably the best transmission I've use before so I was a little spoiled. 2nd gear in the G is clunky for about 10 miles before it warms up, otherwise the transmission and clutch feel pretty good. The ratios are well spaced too.

Hope you like it.

I don't usually drive too hard as I mostly just commute and I never race, however in inclimate weather the LSD does come in handy.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Only you can decide which is best. What is your driving style?
The sports seats are more narrow than the Journeys. Somethng to consider.

I would do it for the limited slip diff alone. You also get the larger 13" brakes on the sport pkg. The ride is not much different but the sport is more taught with less nose dive and less lean on turns.

Last edited by CarNutz; 02-24-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the standard front end looks a lot like the original Aero Nissmo option. I like it. Infiniti should have reversed the 2 they now offer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 Journey vs. Sport Question