G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

BumperPlugs: blue slate submitted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally found the plugs at Lowe's. They cost double Home Depot's price, but they had 3/8" nylon plugs in stock -- black, too! About $1.04/pair. If you're lazy, you can just plug your holes right up with the black plugs.

I'll take pics when I color these suckers. I don't know about using a spray bottle, because it'll be too misty, and I don't want to empty out the touch up bottle. They're so rare, and I'm surprised the dealer finally got me one.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Done! They're not amazing, but it's much better than the holes.

1) Buy the 3/8" plugs from Lowes for about $1 each pair. (Home Depot is cheaper, but they ran out.)
2) 1 coat of primer
3) 1st coat of touch-up paint
4) 2nd coat of touch-up paint after 30 minutes
5) Sand with high-grit sandpaper 24 hours later
6) 3rd coat of touch-up paint. Note: My brush was very droopy. So, by accident, I ended up with a big blob of paint on one. But because of physics, the blob spred itself across the top of the plug, creating a dome-like effect (it's like a drop of water on glass). So I did the same thing to the other plug. This allowed the paint to be smooth and round without me actually "brushing" the paint on (i.e., smearing).
7) 1 coat of clear coat 24 hours later

Hey, for just $1 versus a $125+ customer bumperplug.com order, I'll settle for it. I can always buy more and redo them later. Perfect fit, snaps on real nice, and look very clean, too.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Bad Toro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Done! They're not amazing, but it's much better than the holes.

1) Buy the 3/8" plugs from Lowes for about $1 each pair. (Home Depot is cheaper, but they ran out.)
2) 1 coat of primer
3) 1st coat of touch-up paint
4) 2nd coat of touch-up paint after 30 minutes
5) Sand with high-grit sandpaper 24 hours later
6) 3rd coat of touch-up paint. Note: My brush was very droopy. So, by accident, I ended up with a big blob of paint on one. But because of physics, the blob spred itself across the top of the plug, creating a dome-like effect (it's like a drop of water on glass). So I did the same thing to the other plug. This allowed the paint to be smooth and round without me actually "brushing" the paint on (i.e., smearing).
7) 1 coat of clear coat 24 hours later

Hey, for just $1 versus a $125+ customer bumperplug.com order, I'll settle for it. I can always buy more and redo them later. Perfect fit, snaps on real nice, and look very clean, too.
Awesome job Goofy. Looks great, and most importantly - you didn't pay a fortune.

I actually spend a couple of hours in the garage earlier prepping my coupe for my trade-in tomorrow... As I was pulling on one of the plugs, the paint came off. At first, I thought I broke the sucker, but turns out, only the paint chip came off the head. The plugs (bumberplugs) are actually black underneath. I'll see if i can strip the other one so I can spray them with Blue Slate over the black.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by SPEEED
Awesome job Goofy. Looks great, and most importantly - you didn't pay a fortune.

I actually spend a couple of hours in the garage earlier prepping my coupe for my trade-in tomorrow... As I was pulling on one of the plugs, the paint came off. At first, I thought I broke the sucker, but turns out, only the paint chip came off the head. The plugs (bumberplugs) are actually black underneath. I'll see if i can strip the other one so I can spray them with Blue Slate over the black.
Would you say the bumperplugs.com plugs are of high quality -- with their "14-step" paint process? I don't know crap about painting and sanding, but I think my plugs came out well. I just hope they'll withstand the harshness of city and freeway driving -- or stupid people backing into me when they parallel park.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Bad Toro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Would you say the bumperplugs.com plugs are of high quality -- with their "14-step" paint process? I don't know crap about painting and sanding, but I think my plugs came out well. I just hope they'll withstand the harshness of city and freeway driving -- or stupid people backing into me when they parallel park.
The "14-step paint process" is nothing but fluff BS to justify their charge of over $30 for two pieces of plastics. I bought the plugs from them once. It was the first and last time. I just re-used my coupe's Diamond Graphite plugs and repainted them with Blue Slate. If they ever break or need to replace them from whatever reason, I will take your advice on the Home Depot knock off...