G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Another thread for you guys.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thread for you guys.

heres another one to keep this forum going, not like there isnt alot of threads already.
do you guys see the 07 sedan as a sport car? or even a little bit? i mean when you guys/gals purchase your sedan do you even think about getting a 6mt? i know alot people chose the auto over the manual, is it because its a true sedan not a sports car. if i would have ask this in the coupe forum, 90% will say go with the 6mt, i wanna hear what all your sedan owners think of this. your thoughts please..
btw im switching cars from a auto g35coupe but im still debating what car to get. i want a manual and a sports car thats for sure, 2 dr/4 dr is not a big deal.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 PM
sports car = small, light, 2 seater or 2+2. this is more of a GT.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Decide what you're really going to do with your new car.

Me, I sit in traffic about 10 hours a week. I have to haul my son around occasionally. I like to have power on demand when I need it. I like having the latest elec gadgets.

The G was the best fit for my situation for now.

The Z06 can come after the kid drives on his own!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Bad Toro
When it comes to type of transmission there really is no right or wrong. You need to weigh your options, driving habits, driving conditions (i.e. % highway vs. % city), traffic load, other people's ability to drive stick (if applicable), etc.

Good luck with whichever tranny you choose. Both are great and you can't go wrong with either one.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:19 AM
I dunno - I had MANY mannys. Maybe I'm just old... but DAMN, these new auto trannies are FAST. I mean, I drive pretty hard and imagine shifting this thing manually, and I just can't imagine begin any faster than that paddle shifter. No clutch - just jam it down into gear.
I'd love to hear from an AT person who tries out the paddles... it's pretty impressive.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 AM
thanx fellas for the quick reply. how about this, how many of you guys thought about gettin a 6mt but end up getting an auto but you kinda regret it?
i know auto is pretty damn fast on this car, i test drove a few of em already. but seriously a manual will always be a manual with shifting with the clutch and you get a better feel of your car. i started out with a manual car back a few years ago and this coupe is my first auto. i dont care how good of a shifter you are in sport shift mode, it just doesnt have the same feel as a real manual transmission.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:45 AM
First off.. This is not a sports car. It's a sedan. It's heavy and on the large side.
I ordered one with the manual. Then I drove the auto and liked it better. The car is fun to drive either way, but I thought the auto was better suited to this car than the manual. If your intentions are to buy a sports car for the track, I would look elsewhere. The G is a great driving car for the street.. It comfy, practical, quick and can corner and brake. A good combination for real world driving.

Originally Posted by prelude555
thanx fellas for the quick reply. how about this, how many of you guys thought about gettin a 6mt but end up getting an auto but you kinda regret it?
i know auto is pretty damn fast on this car, i test drove a few of em already. but seriously a manual will always be a manual with shifting with the clutch and you get a better feel of your car. i started out with a manual car back a few years ago and this coupe is my first auto. i dont care how good of a shifter you are in sport shift mode, it just doesnt have the same feel as a real manual transmission.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Bad Toro
My current coupe is MT. It's hell of a fun to drive on back winding country roads, or on the highways when not too much is going on traffic wise. But once you get into a grid lock, that's where the nightmare begins. At other times, it's either fun or just tiring (depends on my mood and the hour of the day). When I bought this car, it was only my wife and I. Although my wife couldn't drive stick I was determined to get the car in manual. Whether she was going to learn or not, was not my problem. She was not interested in learning, but at the same time, didn't give me any hard time for getting manual. She had her car and I had mine - life was good . But now, with kids on the horizon, we may need to swap cars from time to time for whatever reason , so I can't get another stick (she won't learn).

In addition to the above, a 6MT sedan may be hard to sell when the time comes for it, as not too many people here in the northeast drive stick. Also, the paddle shifters on the sport model made my decision that much easier . After test-driving it a few times I was sold. I found it to be a great compromise between the fun of driving a stick, and the usual manumatic - paddle shifters was something new that had that "cool wow" factor. Plus it's a blast to drive

Maybe one day, when the kids grow up and are old enough to drive their own cars, it will be time for a mid-life crisis. Maybe a 2025 AWD twin-turbo G coupe in manual...

Old 03-03-2007, 09:08 AM
The auto tranny they out in the 07 is pretty good. It's pretty smooth and shifts better than in my 04 IMHO. The not too much of an advantage for manuals these days since the auto tranny are so much better than they used to be.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I think what makes the G35 a great car is that you can get the advantages of a sports car (e.g. great acceleration & handling) and the advantages of sedan (e.g. comfort). It may not be THE best sedan nor THE best sports car, but one of the best in being a "sports sedan".

Old 03-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
do you guys see the 07 sedan as a sport car? or even a little bit?
Nah, I don't think of the G as a Sports car, not even a little bit. I don't think of the G Coupe as a Sports car either. A Sports car by definition has two seats and two doors. The G however, is one heckuva great Sports Sedan though.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oneformula
sports car = small, light, 2 seater or 2+2. this is more of a GT.
Indeed, this is definitely more of a GT, a 350GT

Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 AM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sports car - noun, (spohrts kahr)

1.) See Lotus Elise / Exige

Eh, sometimes I drive loaners like they're sports cars and then I realize what an *** I'm being on the road. So, no I try not to think G's are sports cars.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sporty - YES, Sports car - NO

heres another one to keep this forum going, not like there isnt alot of threads already.
do you guys see the 07 sedan as a sport car? or even a little bit? i mean when you guys/gals purchase your sedan do you even think about getting a 6mt? i know alot people chose the auto over the manual, is it because its a true sedan not a sports car. if i would have ask this in the coupe forum, 90% will say go with the 6mt, i wanna hear what all your sedan owners think of this. your thoughts please..
btw im switching cars from a auto g35coupe but im still debating what car to get. i want a manual and a sports car thats for sure, 2 dr/4 dr is not a big deal.
I absolutely love my '07 G35 Sport AT. IMO, the styling is great, there is more than ample power to have fun driving it, it is RWD, and it is luxurious and well-made. Is it sporty? Definitely. Is it a sports car? Definitely not.

I seriously considered the MT and have had several manuals in the past. I ended up getting the automatic, feeling that (i) it would be very liveable as a daily driver, (ii) the paddle shifters would provide any extra control I wanted over the driving experience with little/no loss in performance compared with the manual, and (iii) IMO, an automatic was more suited for this type of car as it is a 4-dr blend of luxury and sport (and auto would be easier to resell - although that should be a deciding factor - you should get what YOU want).

If our daughter were grown and on her own, then I might consider a coupe. However, I genuinely do like the look of sedans in general; and would probably take a base CLS500 or a BMW 545 over a vette (even a Z06) these days.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:18 PM
If your into just 'sporty' driving, an auto is fine, but I love the fact that I have a decent sized, rear wheel drive manual car.
I doubt you'd be able to drift the auto as well as the manual.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another thread for you guys.