Is everyones MPG as bad as mine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've got 12k miles on the car now, and here are my averages:

overall avg = 22.8mpg
highway = 26.2
city = between 14 and 17 (depending on my acceleration rate)

i keep track of my driving habits, time spent on highway or local roads, and more importantly i total ALL of my gasoline receipts. I keep a log with all the reciepts from my gas fillups and write down mileage every time i fill up. I use the trip meter and odometer to figure out my avg. at the end of every month.

after having the car for almost 5 months now, my mpg has risen with each month. I have changed some of my driving habits, I am much lighter on the gas now than I was in January. But overall, where and when i drive has not changed, so my data is pretty accurate.

And for some other numbers. On a trip to maryland, traveling 70-75 (mainly without cruise control) I did average close to 30 mpg for most of the highway drive. I'd imagine at 60-65, you could average higher. Even at a constant 80, mpg was still about 26-27.

My conclusion? I'm happy. I use less gas than my previous cars (Dodge Durango and a Mustang) and get more mpg. I think my numbers are comparable to any competitor car. And I do occasionally lay the pedal to the floor but much less than when I first got the car. I know the car FEELS like it wants to go, but you do get used to it and learn how to handle the gas pedal.

Hope this was informative.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by spacecowboy

after having the car for almost 5 months now, my mpg has risen with each month. I have changed some of my driving habits, I am much lighter on the gas now than I was in January.
I am sure the change from winter gas blend to the summer one has only improved things for you

Old 06-07-2007, 12:13 PM
you know, I don't know just how much of a difference there is between the summer and winter blends. that's a good question. gonna look it up

Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by spacecowboy
i've got 12k miles on the car now, and here are my averages:

overall avg = 22.8mpg
highway = 26.2
city = between 14 and 17 (depending on my acceleration rate)

i keep track of my driving habits, time spent on highway or local roads, and more importantly i total ALL of my gasoline receipts. I keep a log with all the reciepts from my gas fillups and write down mileage every time i fill up. I use the trip meter and odometer to figure out my avg. at the end of every month.

after having the car for almost 5 months now, my mpg has risen with each month. I have changed some of my driving habits, I am much lighter on the gas now than I was in January. But overall, where and when i drive has not changed, so my data is pretty accurate.

And for some other numbers. On a trip to maryland, traveling 70-75 (mainly without cruise control) I did average close to 30 mpg for most of the highway drive. I'd imagine at 60-65, you could average higher. Even at a constant 80, mpg was still about 26-27.

Hope this was informative.
If the majority of owners experiences were more like yours, I'd be sorely tempted to have a G35 in my driveway, although I'd like to see the in town numbers a little higher. I'd like to see numbers more like 20-22 city, and 28 to 30 on the highway. That's not asking for the world.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
the biggest difference was definitely me. the car feels the same as the day I bought it, from hitting the gas to braking. I just had to get over my lead foot. it was a habit from having an SUV. Now, i'm great on the pedal. No jerkiness, even at a low RPM start in DS from a stop.

Go out and get the G already! Part of the reason the 335i gets slightly better mileage is the fact that it is FI from the factory. Those turbos boost the HP and keep the mileage slightly higher than our NA V6. besides, if you can afford the bimmer at about 10k more than the G, that's the gas for a better car

Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Karnidge
Consumer Reports did not report 13 city, this is way off. I am not sure where you are getting these numbers from but I just looked it up...

"The rear-wheel-drive version achieved 19 mpg overall on premium fuel in CR's fuel economy tests"

http://www.automotive.com/features/9...436/index.html
Consumer Reports got 13 mpg city. Have a look at page 59 in the June 2007 issue. You'll see overall mpg city/hwy = 13/26.

As you say, they got "19 mpg overall". Overall does not equal city!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 PM
My mileage

Well, I didn't have great expectations for mileage because I bought the car for the way it drives not how many miles it drives on a gallon of gas. Anyway my baseline is my 1998 BMW 528i (189hp, inline 6) - that got 19-20mpg on my usual work drive which I'd characterize as 100% city.

I've got 180 miles on my G35 now and the mileage has been steadily climbing - from about 10mpg when I picked it up to 14.1mpg now. My average speed is 14mph. All readings are taken of the computer, I won't debate whether that's accurate or not, but that's what it is.

Given the discrepancy between the hp on my 528i and the G35, and allowing for the fact that technology has advanced - I would be more than happy if the G got to 17mpg and ecstatic if it got to 19mpg. Only time will tell...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by dgillen777
Isolated mileage reports from random people on internet messageboards is fairly useless. Consumer Reports is probably the best source for comparing mileage data between cars because unlike the EPA estimates they are averages from real world driving under similar circumstances. Consumer Reports gave the G35 auto 13 city / 26 hwy. They get 19 mixed.
Yet, you are here basing the g35 numbers on mileage reports from random people on the internet. Rather than get numerous actual mileage results from different folks or yourself you want to put your trust into a single report done by Consumer Reports? Need we talk about the botched child safety seat crash report that they had to apologize to the public about.

Originally Posted by Syclone43
Most of the quotes I see on Edmunds, on any subject, seem to be far less informed or believable than one might hope. I tend to go to enthusiast sites to look for information.

That said, it's entirely possible to find single quotes supporting one opinion or the other. If you're looking for the real story, look at what the general concensus is, not what one person says. I drew my conclusions about G35 gas mileage after reviewing this whole thread, as well as others. Two of the cars I listed in my original post I have personal experience, and I can tell you they meet or exceed their EPA numbers.

What is the difference between strangers on the internet here and the ones on Edmunds. Same people with the same cars and they want to post good and bad results on MPGs. I went to other sites (enthusiasts) and found the same story as Edmunds. Some get the '"avg" and some get much lower. I'm not quite sure why people are here posting such high numbers on other comparable cars when they are also not achieving that result. The G is not hitting its EPA numbers but that doesn't mean come here and throw up the best numbers from other sites just make the G look that much worse.

I too have experience driving the car, we get around 21.5MPG 60/% city/40% hwy with around 1200 miles on the car today which I would say is very close to EPA numbers

Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by boobot
Yet, you are here basing the g35 numbers on mileage reports from random people on the internet. Rather than get numerous actual mileage results from different folks or yourself you want to put your trust into a single report done by Consumer Reports? Need we talk about the botched child safety seat crash report that they had to apologize to the public about.
I didn't say Consumer Reports was perfect. But I do believe they are the best source for reliability and mileage data, especially if you want to do comparisons between different vehicles (which is what this thread had become).

Old 06-08-2007, 06:06 AM
I am averaging 19.7 mpg over the first 1200 miles in my G with some pretty spririted driving thrown in, and about 50/50 highway and city driving. My last car, a Volvo S60R averaged about the same after it had about 20K on it.

Last edited by NewGMan; 06-08-2007 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by dgillen777
I didn't say Consumer Reports was perfect. But I do believe they are the best source for reliability and mileage data, especially if you want to do comparisons between different vehicles (which is what this thread had become).

I think we just need to give it some more time. Everyone, like myself, is driving this car to it's fullest in their initial months of ownership. I believe after we get a majority of folks here with 5k plus on their vehicles that the MPGs will start to match the EPA estimates. I still haven't had the chance to take a long road trip in mine and I'm very curious as to what a 80% + hwy mileage will garner.

By they way,

DOMO <----- That is just scarey!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by boobot
I think we just need to give it some more time. Everyone, like myself, is driving this car to it's fullest in their initial months of ownership. I believe after we get a majority of folks here with 5k plus on their vehicles that the MPGs will start to match the EPA estimates. I still haven't had the chance to take a long road trip in mine and I'm very curious as to what a 80% + hwy mileage will garner.

By they way,

DOMO <----- That is just scarey!
when i took it on an unexpected highway run (first week of ownership) it really gave me incredible gas mileage. I was very happy with it. I took it pretty as, though i did open the car up here and there, i really waited for the 1200 mile mark to really get on it. Now with 3100 miles on the clock my computer says im averaging 13.6 mpg lol. Pretty crappy.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
On the computer it says 19.5 right now.

I think I do about 80% HWY so I guess it's not the best that I could get.

I do have a heavy foot but I try to watch my instantaneous MPG on the computer.

I have about 1600 miles on the car and it's only been a week since I got the car. That's how much I love driving this car. (Well, not really, since I have to drive a lot for my job.)

Old 06-08-2007, 09:42 PM
I get 24-26 mpg on display, and have confirmed with reciepts at fillups. Mix of about 80% hwy/20% traffic averages about 25 mpg; more hwy, better mileage. Hwy cruise at 70 - 80 mph and not at all bashful to run WOT and to 90+ mph when called for. 4,200 miles on her currently. Mileage has climbed upward from about 21-22 mpg when purchased.

BTW I took frequent jaunts into the 6k+ rpm range during break in, and run her to red line at least 5-6 times per day.

I do coast in neutral a bit with the manual, and skip gears when not performing an "assault launch."

Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Tire impact on mileage?

I'm curious as to what differences people are seeing between the bigger 18" summer tires and the smaller 17" all-season tires. Is there any appreciable difference? I'm not sure whether the rolling resistance on the summer tires is higher or lower than the all-season tires. Anyway, I'm more curious than anything.

Anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Is everyones MPG as bad as mine?