G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

TWO Phonebooks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While this is cool, I have to point out the suckage of it... you can't dial from the downloaded phonebook while driving, and I don't think you can transfer items from the downloaded phone book to the "other" phonebook for some reason.

I'm getting tired of all the wonderful things that the car can do, but won't let you do unless you pull over to the side of the road. That's just ridiculous...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by viguera
While this is cool, I have to point out the suckage of it... you can't dial from the downloaded phonebook while driving, and I don't think you can transfer items from the downloaded phone book to the "other" phonebook for some reason.

I'm getting tired of all the wonderful things that the car can do, but won't let you do unless you pull over to the side of the road. That's just ridiculous...
The easy fix for me is my phone itself has voice command installed. That allows you to dial by voice from your handset which will then transfer the call to your car via BT.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by CardsDG6MT
Sad to see Jetware does not support the Moto Q

However, great info and thanks for posting!!
Did you actually try, or did you read that from their website?

Old 06-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
The easy fix for me is my phone itself has voice command installed. That allows you to dial by voice from your handset which will then transfer the call to your car via BT.
Yeah that's what I do now... so the only advantage of transferring the phonebook is for Caller ID and to call when you're parked without having to use the phone.

If it had picture caller ID I'd use it just for the gimmick factor... but as it is, I'd rather call from the phone now and forget about any of the phonebooks in the car.

Maybe version 2.0

Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Did you actually try, or did you read that from their website?
It was listed on the 'support' portion of their website....

Incompatible phones
Phones running versions of Windows Mobile prior to Windows Mobile 2003 SE and phones that do not use the Bluetooth stack provided by Microsoft will not work with the Extension. The following phones are known to be incompatible with the Extension.

HTC "Blue Angel" Pocket PC phones
XDA III
MDA III
Qtek 9090
Siemens SX-66
XDA II
Motorola Q
HP iPaq hw 6915, 6910, 6515, 6510
Samsung Blackjack

Old 06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
You can copy from the DLed phonebook to the other phonebook.
See the left image on page 4-63 in the car manual.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 PM
This may be a stupid question, but how do you voice-dial from the phone while it's bluetooth-linked to the car? Maybe it's a bad feature of my phone (Razr), but I can't voice-dial directly from the phone when it's linked to the car. I can do it if I transfer control to the handset from the car, but I can't figure out how to do that without initiating a call first.

Does my phone lack this functionality, or is there some way to do this that I don't know about?

thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by DLite
This may be a stupid question, but how do you voice-dial from the phone while it's bluetooth-linked to the car? Maybe it's a bad feature of my phone (Razr), but I can't voice-dial directly from the phone when it's linked to the car. I can do it if I transfer control to the handset from the car, but I can't figure out how to do that without initiating a call first.

Does my phone lack this functionality, or is there some way to do this that I don't know about?

thanks.
I think he means voice dialing on the phone... you can do this with some phones where they'll scan your address book and you can do a voice dial by saying "dial [name]". I've tested Blackberry 8100s, 8300s and 8800/8830s that all come with VSuite from Voice Signal, and they automatically scan your address book and build voicetags for the names...

Now if the car could do that, that would rock so hard...

You can always use "regular" voice dialing with the car, but that's hit and miss when it's trying to figure out what numbers you're trying to dial. Most of the time you have to do 3-4 numbers at a time so it doesn't get confused...

Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow now that is a cool feature!

Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 AM
I think he means voice dialing on the phone... you can do this with some phones where they'll scan your address book and you can do a voice dial by saying "dial [name]". I've tested Blackberry 8100s, 8300s and 8800/8830s that all come with VSuite from Voice Signal, and they automatically scan your address book and build voicetags for the names... .
Thanks. If I understand this correctly, my Razr can in fact do that. It builds voicetags automatically from the text in the phonebook-- you never have to "train" it to understand the names. I'd love to be able to use the Razr's voice-dialing instead of the car's, but I can't figure out how.

The basic problem is that I can't access the phone's own voice-dialing feature while the bluetooth link is on, because my phone doesn't accept voice input into the handset while linked. If I could transfer control from the car to the phone, that would solve the problem, but I can't figure out how to do that, at least when I'm not already on a call.

Sorry if I'm being dense about something.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by DLite

thanks.
A little clarification:

The Cingular 8525 (really a PDA) does not normally come with voice dial capability. The operating system is Windows Mobile 5. Microsoft makes a software called Voice Command which runs on WM5 which I installed. So while the phone is linked to the car, I can push a button on the phone and say "call John Doe at mobile". The phone will search it's synchronized Outlook address book and dial the cell phone number for John Doe, then transfer the call to the cars speaker phone.

I actually use this dialing method more than the 40 number VOICE DIAL phone book in the car. The only reason I have the DOWNLOADED phone book in the car is so I can quickly transfer commonly used numbers to the 40 number VOICE DIAL phone book for voice dialing from the car. The DOWNLOADED phone book also comes in handy if your cell phone happened to be out of reach (like in a briefcase in the trunk) and you need to call in a take out order.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by CardsDG6MT
Sad to see Jetware does not support the Moto Q

However, great info and thanks for posting!!
Moto Q will download full phone book. I just did it. See the last two entries for this link.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-audio-video-electronics/149648-phone-book-questions.html

Old 06-11-2007, 10:08 AM

Great information! I will try it at lunch.

Originally Posted by ajleiwant
Moto Q will download full phone book. I just did it. See the last two entries for this link.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149648

Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM
There would be mulitple entries. If your contact has a home, business, and mobile number, there would be 3 entries with the same name that will show up in the car, but in the same order (home first, business next, followed by mobile - I don't recall the actual order). You would have the option to NOT send FAX numbers.
Terrycs,

When transferring contacts from a Motorola Razr via Bluetooth to the 40 number Voice Phonebook, it only transfers the home contact - it does not transfer the mobile or work phone numbers. If you transfer to the downloaded phonebook, does it then provide multiple entries? Also, I have NAV and I think that non-NAV phonebooks might work differently.

Thanks,
G35

Old 07-02-2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by PrairieG35
Terrycs,

When transferring contacts from a Motorola Razr via Bluetooth to the 40 number Voice Phonebook, it only transfers the home contact - it does not transfer the mobile or work phone numbers. If you transfer to the downloaded phonebook, does it then provide multiple entries? Also, I have NAV and I think that non-NAV phonebooks might work differently.

Thanks,
G35
I'm not sure what the razr is capable of, but I think the BT stack may be limited. On my 8525, ALL numbers for each Outlook contact with multiple numbers will go (home, work, mobile) into the downloaded phonebook in the same order. From the downloaded phonebook, you can move the numbers into the 40 number voice dial phone book.

Hope this makes sense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TWO Phonebooks!