G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

key failure, poor support, tow nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:55 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'G'TA ---- altho we Canadian owners don't get the F/Aid Kit, you should have a tool kit in the trunk. If it's missing get one from the dealer....

C.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by max2k1
You are back on the toothbrush thing ??

Remember how the word spread around when the G came - that was some funny $hit
I can't help it. It's one of the neatest technologies. I wish everything charges like that.

I want one of these: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2861987.stm

Old 04-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
'G'TA ---- altho we Canadian owners don't get the F/Aid Kit, you should have a tool kit in the trunk. If it's missing get one from the dealer....

C.
Thanks Colin...sure enough, I stand corrected. Weird that there seems to be no mention of it in the manaul - at least not that I'd seen.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:47 AM
[QUOTE=interalian]
Originally Posted by 'G'TA

- Regarding the 'suitable device' for operating the shift unlock, it was interesting to hear a poster indicate that it was in the toolkit that came with the vehicle. My fellow Canadian posters will confirm (I think) that our Canadian vehicles do not come with a tool kit - or the first aid kit for that matter. Let me know if I'm wrong. But if we don't get the kit here, and yet the 'suitable device' only comes in the toolkit, there's a serious oversight.

QUOTE]

My Canadian G35x has the "suitable device". It's next to the jack and jack handle, on the spare tire cover board (if you can call molded styrofoam a board...).
Thx! Completely missed it. Must have been too hung up on our extra Canadian trumk net vs. the U.S.firstaid kit!

Old 04-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GTA... Man, what a nightmare indeed. Sounds like you have a solid case, and can articulate it eloquently, but man, what an ordeal ; we all feel for you! If they give you any push back in terms of 'we havent had any other owners report this type of problem", just let us know and we'll write/report on masse!!

So group, what are the lessons learned here? What was the root cause and what 'backup' plans would have saved the owner is this case? Are we saying that just having an extra battery is not enough, and one really needs a complete second fob as a backup??

TMG

Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks TMG.

It's strange to have to be talking about a 'backup plan' for a key isn't it. While I guess 'back in the day' we used to plant a spare in a magnetic key holder under the fender or something similar...but that was just in case we lost the key, not if it 'broke'. Now we're talking about having to have a spare key fob just in case, but the worst part is you CAN'T leave a spare in the car, or attached to the car, because:

a) the car is too smart to let you leave your key inside it and lock it (a nice feature but a problem for these purposes)

b) if you have it 'attached' to the car in some hidden way, it's too close to the car and anyone will be able to unlock the vehicle!

I'm driving a couple hundre km's north this weekend and will be gone for a week. Nearest dealer will be either Sault Ste Marie or back to Toronto. Now that would be one heck of a tow!

Never would have thought of this 'fear factor' until this recent episode...and I was only 30 km's from home.

As a guy, it's a problem to carry an extra fob in your jeans or your suit...and whereas with the traditional key you could, if you wanted, keep a spare slipped into your wallet. That's not going to work with a fob. And I don't always have my briefcase with me so leaving it in there doesn't work. I mean the whole objective of the technology is to reduce the bulk, fumbling and inconvenience of having to deal with a keychain isn't it? Of course it's less of a problem for the ladies...they typically have their purse with them just about everywhere they go. (Perhaps there's a secret Infiniti fashion initiative at play here...maybe they're going to introduce the Infiniti Man Purse )

Old 04-22-2007, 01:06 PM
How about this : an extra fob, with the battery seperated from it, both left in the glove compartment.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Thumbs up

Nice one TMG! That might work. So even if the other fob dies, we can still get in the car with the manual key, reinsert the battery in the spare keyfob and go...

Unless...the fob loses it's memory/programming with no battery in it? I doubt it would, but I'd want to check this out first before we all endorse this solution.

Treacherous, any technical input on this one?

Old 04-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Best way is to just test it .For those who really dont use thier second fob routinely, perhaps they can assist here. Any takers?
  • take both fobs to the car
  • remove the batery from fob2 - place fob2 and the battery in the glove compartment
  • take fob1 with you and lock the car in the normal manner.
  • when at home; remove the key from fob1; leave fob1 in the house, go out with just the key
  • unlock the door
  • reassemble fob2
Can you now start the car?

Old 04-22-2007, 09:25 PM
OK. I'll try the batteryless fob expereiment in the next few days if I get a chance. I for one would feel better if I had this back-up.

I doubt the fob would need reprogramming just because the battery died or were removed/replaced. It is possible that the fob uses a type of memory that gets lost after enough time without power (e.g, for you techies, a low power CMOS RAM witha hold-up capacitor). However, IIRC, the battery changing directions in the OM make no mention of a time limit in changing the battery.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Nice plan guys!

Let's hope...but I do have to say that I share bkrider's concerns in terms of this backup plan working over the long haul.

His CMOS comment can be related to the scenario some of you might have experienced with your computer if your power supply has ever fried and you couldn't get it replaced fairly quickly. There's a 'capacity' that retains enough power to maintain memory when original, dedicated power supply is disconnected for sometime...but how long it lasts is the question.

So we could have a disconnected fob (i.e. no battery) in our glovebox for a couple days, then reinsert the battery and have it work just fine, but the question may really be: will it work a couple of months down the road? The fob with a battery reinserted may power up just fine, but will it have lost its RF/programming memory by then?

As you've all said, I guess only a test will reveal the answer. But let's make sure we test it long term...not just for a day or two. I'd hate to get a false sense of security and then get burned.

Cheers. I'm off on a week long trip tomorrow morning to a fairly remote northern town...with a spare fob packed in my luggage. I'll have to pop out the battery or I won't be able to lock the car when I stop for a break and a burger along the way!

Old 04-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Until there is tech bulletin fix for this, the spare fob with removed battery may be the only option.

As for the memory factor, I guess the trick there is to periodically test the spare to keep the memory in tact (ie add testing spare fob to the routine for checking air pressure, or waxing the car , or just some routine monthly schedule...perhaps even use cars maintenance reminder).

I wonder what would happen if the second fob were docked. Assuming one fob had at least one good battery between the two fobs, would the car not recognize the spare fob as usable? Perhaps even the act of switching fobs and charging/discharging the fobs would be enough for one of the fobs to gets its brains back.

Anyway, this whole thing is not ideal, but its better than nothing, especially if it truly does add some security. If the tests described earlier do work, I will be ordering my spare (Ie fob #3) this week!

TMG

Old 04-24-2007, 05:22 PM
'G'TA any update on what the problem was?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Just looking for some clarity on what owners who purchased an extra fob from their dealer actually paid :

US CUSTOMERS:
FOB price = $ ??? ; programming charge = $ ???

CANADIAN CUSTOMERS:
FOB price = $ ??? ; programming charge = $ ???

Tx

TMG

Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 PM
I see some people selling the key fob on ebay. Can the dealer reprogram these?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: key failure, poor support, tow nightmare