G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

key failure, poor support, tow nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We need more info on the "risk of being stranded". There are KNOWN limitations on the fob as per the manual - we are all ok with that - its the failure/defect modes that are the unknown here, so its hard to develop the mitgating step when we dont know what we are protecting againsts. I think so far all we know is there is a 'random' failure of the fob itself - not related to the battery. hence the focus on keeping a second one nearby.

When GTA returns from his trip, hopefuly he can shed some light re final outcome from his dealer. But I have the feeling it will be something like "yah - we re-programmed your fob - works fine now'.

TMG

Old 04-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different

This is a different issue. The current issue on the 07 G35s appears to be the keys losing their programming. One thread told of a techniciain trying to use the key that stopped working with a new code, but it did not accept it. The question is why then does it let you into your car. Perhaps the memory becomes garbled, and only part of the message it sends to the car is correct. Any suggestion of battery changes on the car (disconnecting) or of the key (replacement) would likely have no effect. The likely solution is that Infiniti recalls the keys. The problem with that for them is the cost of the programming would kill them. I hope anyone who experiences these problems files a complain not only with Infiniti, but with whichever government/consumer advocate organization would best be able to pressure them into doing something. From their perspective, it's likely to be much cheaper to deal with the few who the problem affects (depends how much they think you getting pissed at the key affects your ownership experience).

Old 04-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by ChemGuy
I'm not so sure your insurance company will cover your stolen car once they find out you left a key in it...
Of course they would cover it. There's nothing in any auto insurance policy that excludes theft coverage for leaving the key in the car.

They may question why you would leave a spare key in the car, but the honest explanation (Infiniti's keys are unreliable and has a tendency to strand unsuspecting motorists) would be sufficient.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by ThatsMyG
When GTA returns from his trip, hopefuly he can shed some light re final outcome from his dealer. But I have the feeling it will be something like "yah - we re-programmed your fob - works fine now'.

TMG
Hey TMG - just back from my trip. Thankfully no key issues when I was up north. Loved driving those back country roads!

Regarding the dealer experience, it took them about 45 minutes. They tried to reprogram the key but discovered it was actually dead (not the battery - the whole unit was toast). So they grabbed one out of inventory and reprogrammed it (and my spare). They apparently have to wipe out both keys and start fresh. So it was interesting to find out that it hadn't just 'lost its RFID memory, but was actually completely fried. The tech actually told me that when he did his first one it took him two days since it's a fairly complex procedure until you get the hang of it (so he has apparently done more than just a couple!).

Let's hope they come up with something by way of recall. Especially now that I'm hearing stories of interference from cell/comm towers impacting folks as well as just faulty key scenarios.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by 'G'TA
Let's hope they come up with something by way of recall
It would appear that have...close to a recall...per sticky. YAY!

Old 04-29-2007, 01:16 PM
After reading the sticky with the Infiniti warning attachment above, it appears that's what happened in your case. You use a different term, "fried", but it appers the electronic code was altered on the key, and its wouldn't start the car or able to be reprogrammed.

Now, how that happened in your case is the million dollar question. Did you ever have your keys and phone in the same pocket?

Originally Posted by 'G'TA
Hey TMG - just back from my trip. Thankfully no key issues when I was up north. Loved driving those back country roads!

Regarding the dealer experience, it took them about 45 minutes. They tried to reprogram the key but discovered it was actually dead (not the battery - the whole unit was toast). So they grabbed one out of inventory and reprogrammed it (and my spare). They apparently have to wipe out both keys and start fresh. So it was interesting to find out that it hadn't just 'lost its RFID memory, but was actually completely fried. The tech actually told me that when he did his first one it took him two days since it's a fairly complex procedure until you get the hang of it (so he has apparently done more than just a couple!).

Let's hope they come up with something by way of recall. Especially now that I'm hearing stories of interference from cell/comm towers impacting folks as well as just faulty key scenarios.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gosh, maybe I won't get a G now

Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Of course they would cover it. There's nothing in any auto insurance policy that excludes theft coverage for leaving the key in the car.

They may question why you would leave a spare key in the car, but the honest explanation (Infiniti's keys are unreliable and has a tendency to strand unsuspecting motorists) would be sufficient.

I would hope your insurance company would be that understanding. However it appears like that is not always the case... Check out this article: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey.html

In the end, it's up to you. You have to weigh the chances of someone breaking into your car over the chances your keyfob will fail. Obviously, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03FXer
This is one of the reasons I started a post about the key fob slot on the lower left side of the dash. I still don’t understand how this slot helps if the battery is dead in the key fob (as there are no metal connectors on the fob to power it). A number of posters stated that the car would read a passive version of the RFID chip.

From reading the 2-3 other post about this same issue. It seems that the key fob slot is only helpful in cases where the battery is too low to send a signal to the car from your pocket. But if it is completely dead you are SOL.
Absolutely not true. (I work with RFID technologies at work).

If the key has a passive RFID chip, it requires ZERO power to function. It works via magnetic induction. The reader applies an alternating magnetic field on the RFID chip, which than can draw power with a field coil from the alternating magnetic field. The RFID then uses the drawn power to power it's own circuit to generate it's own magnetic field, encoded with whatever data it needs to send, back to the reader.