G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

So... my new G35 won't start this morning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... my new G35 won't start this morning...

I guess my new G35 with 2400 miles was feeling worse than I was this morning..
I went out to start it up with key fob in pocket as usual and I see the security light, nothing happens when I push the start button. OK.. so I pull out th FOB and wave it around like a voodoo doctor with a chicken bone... still nothing.. I go and grab the other fob.. same result.
I plug it into the dead battery fob slot and still nothing.
I assume my car doesn't love me anymore and refuses to acknowledge my presence. I fumble thru the 400 page manual and see no tips or tricks other than the number for service.
The last thing I want to do is have some bozo with a tow truck fondle my car which is parked in the garage.
I decided to take my own advice which I suggested when another person had this issue on the forum.
I disconnected the positive battery terminal and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Hooked it back up and tried again.
Success! Everything worked as normal. It even kept my settings and radio stations.
It seems that Microsoft must have had something to do with the G's programming.. cause you need to reboot it every now and then for no reason.
Anyway.. I am going to keep an open end wrench in the car for now on, until I can figure out how to hook up a Ctl-alt delete key.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:19 AM
YIKES.
Nice Microsoft reference... funny. But probably not when it wouldn't start.

Did the fob ever come in contact with your cell phone while you were using it?
I wonder if the 2nd fob would have worked...

Old 05-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
YIKES.
Nice Microsoft reference... funny. But probably not when it wouldn't start.

Did the fob ever come in contact with your cell phone while you were using it?
I wonder if the 2nd fob would have worked...
Tried the 2nd fob and it didn't work.. My phone was not in use but it was with me.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Maybe we have a market for wrench key chains??

Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Good to know Mike. I'll be sure to remove the + battery terminal if this ends up happening to me.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Good to know Mike. I'll be sure to remove the + battery terminal if this ends up happening to me.
It beats being stranded or calling a tow truck.. I hope it was just a fluke.. If I took it in for service.. I know I would get the "can't find anything wrong" response... so I will just let it be for now..

Old 05-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi all. I am new to the forum but have been hanging around for a while. I am extremely interested in the new G and have been using this site to find out everyting i possible can about the G. I am looking to buy in the next coule of months.

Anyways, sorry for the long intro. I have read multiple posts and saw the flyer from the dealers about the FOB and cell phone, but it seems to me it may be the car and not the FOB. Why else would disconecting the positive on the battery allow the car to start. I don't see how disconnecting the battery would reset the FOB, reset the car yes, but not the FOB. Just a thought.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 PM
The code on the fob may change - and by resetting the car it allows it to re-associate with the fob's new code.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Hmmm strange.

Glad to see you found the problem and thanks for sharing with everyone. This might help others.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by birdman84
Hi all. I am new to the forum but have been hanging around for a while. I am extremely interested in the new G and have been using this site to find out everyting i possible can about the G. I am looking to buy in the next coule of months.

Anyways, sorry for the long intro. I have read multiple posts and saw the flyer from the dealers about the FOB and cell phone, but it seems to me it may be the car and not the FOB. Why else would disconecting the positive on the battery allow the car to start. I don't see how disconnecting the battery would reset the FOB, reset the car yes, but not the FOB. Just a thought.
Don't know all the details as there is nothing I can reference... but when I disconnected the battery, I reset the ECU and BCM. When power was restored, the system re-initialized itself and I assume it re-synced with the FOB's. I'm just glad it worked and hope it's not an ongoing issue.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by CarNutz
I guess my new G35 with 2400 miles was feeling worse than
Anyway.. I am going to keep an open end wrench in the car for now on, until I can figure out how to hook up a Ctl-alt delete key.
this is a VERY good idea. I think I will do this too, just in case. is it a 12mm hex?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
yeah. agreed

Old 05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Altersys
this is a VERY good idea. I think I will do this too, just in case. is it a 12mm hex?

It's a 10mm

Old 05-10-2007, 04:55 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess my new G35 with 2400 miles was feeling worse than I was this morning..
I went out to start it up with key fob in pocket as usual and I see the security light, nothing happens when I push the start button. OK.. so I pull out th FOB and wave it around like a voodoo doctor with a chicken bone... still nothing.. I go and grab the other fob.. same result.
I plug it into the dead battery fob slot and still nothing.
I assume my car doesn't love me anymore and refuses to acknowledge my presence. I fumble thru the 400 page manual and see no tips or tricks other than the number for service.
The last thing I want to do is have some bozo with a tow truck fondle my car which is parked in the garage.
I decided to take my own advice which I suggested when another person had this issue on the forum.
I disconnected the positive battery terminal and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Hooked it back up and tried again.
Success! Everything worked as normal. It even kept my settings and radio stations.
It seems that Microsoft must have had something to do with the G's programming.. cause you need to reboot it every now and then for no reason.
Good news. congrats, and tnx for the tip.

Next time tho, disconnect the negative terminal instead of the positive: Less chance of sparks or explosion...

C.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:58 PM
It's a 10mm
cool. i'll get meself a rubber-handled 10mm for the car (rubber handle so in case I fumble with it in the dark and cross the terminals i don't start an engine fire!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So... my new G35 won't start this morning...