G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Replaced 6 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Altersys
have you tried swapping out the manual transmission fluid with RedLine MTL? It's known to "solve" synchro issues like this. i know it's preferable for the synchros to be R&R'ed instead but if the manuf. isn't doing it, and if you don't want to deal with the lemon law, try this first.
Right now I'm in the opinion that if it's going to be a problem, I'm going to get them to do as much as they can. I appreciate your suggestion, and come time my warranty is up (if I still have this car), I'll probably end up taking your suggestion.

In any case,
Thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 06:13 PM
no problem, totally understood. i'd be of the same opinion as you if i were in your case! i hope they fix it...

Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Chris, too bad Infiniti couldn't replace your tranny with the upcoming revised 6MT in the 08s.
What being done to the 6mt? At this point I would be hesitant to consider another G due to my 2 tranny replacements at 40K and again at 50K. Not too mention less that smooth driveability due to the clutch setup. I've had my car since day 1 for over 3 years and still have trouble getting a smooth start and transition to 2nd.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 AM
For all who need clarity with shifting....

Check out this site, very useful and accompanied with pics you can get an idea for what is called "heel toe downshift" not the same as "double clutching"

Although its referred to as a racing technique I'm sure the more experienced drivers out there will see just how important it can be to relieve undue stress on the manual tranny.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.shtml

Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
double clutch can be used for upshift and downshift. heel/toe is used only for downshift.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 AM
CFar, which VA dealership did you go to?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigred14
umm, it is double clutching.

Normal shifting in car with synchros --> clutch-in, move shifter down to next gear or deired lower gear, ease the clutch out.

Double clutching, can be done in a car with or without synchros --> Clutch in, move shifter to neutral, clutch-out, match revs to desired level based on lower gear your going to go into, clutch-in, move to desired lower gear, clutch out. (2 clutch ins, hence the doble clutch)

While doing this in cars with synchros isn't necessary, as has been stated, it can also be used when wanting to downshift while in bad driving conditions (slippery roads). By double clutching it makes the transition smooth, as opposed to being relativly jerky by letting the synchros handle the rev match.
If you correctly match revs when downshifting, there's no difference between this and double-clutching regarding changes in drag to the wheels (hence the concern about conditions). Believe me, you learn to rev match correctly when you ride a motoercycle in the rain.

As stated, rev-matching is a good thing, double-clutching is not necessary (if it's fun for someone, go right ahead )

Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
ST1SJ: Tysons.
G35NOW!: I wouldn't say double clutching is necessary in transmissions nowadays, however with my car, when the transmission is cold, it is. Quality transmissions don't require it at any time, however this transmission is the G's, if not Infiniti's achilles heal (sp?). Keep it in a truck where it should be and give me something that belongs in this car.

With said, have a good day everybody!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 PM
brb getting cut
ok so how exactly do u 'rev-match'? does blipping the throttle mean u hold the throttle down just a little bit to keep the revs higher, or do u just tap and release to get the revs up quickly??

Old 07-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
ok so how exactly do u 'rev-match'? does blipping the throttle mean u hold the throttle down just a little bit to keep the revs higher, or do u just tap and release to get the revs up quickly??
  • Push in clutch and begin moving gear lever
  • Tap the gas pedal (push it down a bit to rev the engine - with practice you'll know how much - then let off quickly)
  • Finish gear change, let out clutch smoothly before engine revs come back down. If you do it right, you'll be in the right rev range for the new gear at the same speed. This way drag on the rear wheels is smoothly changed vs. abruptly
Note that this all happens quickly vs. deliberately, it should not change your speed of shifting.

And this from an AT guy!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
brb getting cut
Originally Posted by G35Now!
  • Push in clutch and begin moving gear lever
  • Tap the gas pedal (push it down a bit to rev the engine - with practice you'll know how much - then let off quickly)
  • Finish gear change, let out clutch smoothly before engine revs come back down. If you do it right, you'll be in the right rev range for the new gear at the same speed. This way drag on the rear wheels is smoothly changed vs. abruptly
Note that this all happens quickly vs. deliberately, it should not change your speed of shifting.

And this from an AT guy!

Good info thanks about two or three months from now i'll be giving other newbs tips on this

Old 07-26-2007, 08:22 PM
brb getting cut
Well maybe more time than that it depends on the learning curve with all this stuff, im a pretty quick learner, so we'll c

Old 07-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I kept on reading this thread waiting for someone to finally reference heal-toe.

like some others said, heal-toe=good, and if you ever want to go to a DE you will be ahead of the curve. Heal toe is really an art!

No need to double clutch unless you are driving a 3 on the TREEE!!!!