G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First oil change and tire pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First oil change and tire pressure

Not long after taking delivery (Journey w/perf tire & wheel pkg) I found the tire pressure to be about 37psi all around so I lowered it to 33psi, like the doorframe sticker says, and the ride smoothed out.

So out of the shop after the first oil change and whaddayaknow - 37psi again. My dial-type pressure gauge can't be that far off and it matches up well with two stick-types so I'm confused.

Is 37psi, or thereabouts, a preferred tire pressure for the perf tires?

The car gets kinda antsy near a hundred but after lowering pressure it was fine, at least up to 120. Dunno if they're doing this to minimize wear or what.

Didn't find out until after the place was closed for the holiday so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

TIA, Pete

Old 05-27-2007, 11:08 AM
When I bought the G35S and got it home, checked the tire pressure and also got 37 psi. I lowered it to 33 psi as you did, and for the same reason. I'll just keep an eye on even tire wear - I expect it will be OK. See no point in 37 psi, except harsher ride - i.e. for everyday driving.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:02 PM
I have to admit that I had not checked my tire pressure at all. Yesterday I took my car in for the 1000 mile service which included checking my tires. So this morning I thought, let me see what pressure they left my tires at... get this, 47 !!! Yes, 47.

I called my sales guy to let him know what a 'great' job they did with my service visit. He had told me 33-35 lbs of pressure, nice to know his service folks think 47 is in that ball park.

so yeah everybody, check your tire pressure for sure!

Hunniebuni

Old 05-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Well almost same story here. After delivery tire pressure was 40-42, after 1st oil change they set it to 37 all around. Lowered back to 33. I have an appointment next week for the sun roof issue (can those accordion walls be removed all together?), so will ask about tire pressure too.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Also be careful of cheap or really old tire pressure gauges. I had 2 tire pressure gauges (one for my car and the other for my wife). They both gave different pressure readings. Their readings varied by 7 psi. I purchased a supposedly better one, whose reading fell between the the other two. I then borrowed another gauge and verified that the one I just purchased was accurate (at least two out of the 4 matched). The first 2 I had were quite old. Anyway, it was quite disturbing how different the pressure readings were. With my previous car, I used to think "why does the dealer always underinflate by 3 pounds or so?". Well, in this case at least, it wasn't the dealer, my gauge was just always showing 3 psi more than the actual figure. The lesson here, at least for me, is if it's been a LONG time since you first purchaed your tire gauge, better verify that it is still accurate (oh yeah, don't assume the dealer put the right amount of pressure also!).

Last edited by randman; 05-27-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by justpete0
So out of the shop after the first oil change and whaddayaknow - 37psi again. My dial-type pressure gauge can't be that far off and it matches up well with two stick-types so I'm confused.

Is 37psi, or thereabouts, a preferred tire pressure for the perf tires?

TIA, Pete
If they (or you) are putting in air while the tires are cold, then when hot they could easily go up 4 lbs (i.e. from 33 to 37 pounds). My oil change place has the opposite problem, they check the tires when hot, so when cold they're down in the 20s (found this in my last car). They are no longer allowed to touch the tires...

Old 05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
If they (or you) are putting in air while the tires are cold, then when hot they could easily go up 4 lbs (i.e. from 33 to 37 pounds). My oil change place has the opposite problem, they check the tires when hot, so when cold they're down in the 20s (found this in my last car). They are no longer allowed to touch the tires...
Oh yeah, I always check 'em cold - before it's driven in the morning usually or after it's been sitting for several hours. I have the same problem with a Chrysler dealership every time I take the other car in for an oil change.

Finally got one of the service mngrs to tell me why. He said they always set the pressure higher than the frame number because the life of the tires is longer that way. Well, gee thanks lumpy.

One time they had 'em at 57psi and the rough ride took out both front marker bulbs, at their expense. And they still won't stop doing it - gotta reset the pressure every time. Weird.

I should get another new gauge to triple check, maybe I'm measuring it wrong. OTOH the last loaner, an '07 with less miles than mine at its first oil change, rode a heckuva lot smoother than mine even when the pressure is set to 33psi. Then again it had the regular tires and wheels.