G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tips on using the new 2007 G35 shift paddles for Maximum Performance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the car teach you where to shift. Drive around in DS for a while, and keep your eyes on the tach, and keep your ears open. Try to learn what gear you are in, and where the car shifts under different conditions. After you've done this for a while, try to do the same thing by yourself in M mode.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with avit! You'll have to listen to the car. You will be able to hear the cars engine increase in noise as you reach higher RPMs. At that point, when the engine noise seems to remain constant, yep, time to shift before you blow up. Actually, I forgot I was in sport mode one time and the RPMs went up to 7500-8k roughly and just kept bouncing back until I realized, $hit, need to shift. Bottom line, just listen to the engine, then practice shifting at different point. If you shift to hard, the engine will let you know; pretty rough. Just a street racerz opinion. Enjoy!

Old 06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys.

I get it for shifting up.

Can you please be as patient and give me some hints on shifting down gears?

If I am speeding, and had to slow down. How can I know that its time to move to a lower gear?

Thanks guys.

VidER

Old 06-02-2007, 05:46 PM
you'll know because when you go to apply the gas after slowing down, the car bogs due to too low RPMs. keep the revs in the powerband, whatever your car's powerband may be. hell, even the word "powerband" depends on the type of driving and throttle positions you will be running. typically, the more aggressively you intend to drive at a given moment, the higher your powerband is.

it's the same formula, man. nothing unique about upshifting or downshifting.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the best thing to do is just play around with it. the car is smart enough that it won't let you hurt it. just have fun.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VidER
Thanks guys.

I get it for shifting up.

Can you please be as patient and give me some hints on shifting down gears?

If I am speeding, and had to slow down. How can I know that its time to move to a lower gear?

Thanks guys.

VidER
You can still practice by driving around in DS and seeing where the car downshifts. Or, if you're really looking for a general rule of thumb, downshift when the rpms drop below 3k (2k if you're driving sedately). And anticipate, don't downshift in a corner, that's a no-no for multiple reasons.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
don't downshift in a corner, that's a no-no for multiple reasons.
Can you explain please?

What can happen if I did that?

VidER

Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
Hey thanks - I grabbed it off one of the G commercials...
Love the lines on the G. You're right - I see many new lines at various angles.
What great design work.
Especially on the LP. I had planned to buy a PG and wanted one more look at all the colors in person before I made my final decision.

Saw the LP side-by-side with the other colors and that sold me. It has "sports car" written all over it. And the body line is much more pronounced in the lighter colors.

But quite honestly, the G would be a great car in ANY color...

Old 06-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Moderation-free
Originally Posted by VidER
Can you explain please?

What can happen if I did that?

VidER
First, it means taking your hands off the wheel - even with paddles, groping for the shifter while taking a fast corner is not optimal.

Second, shifting (mostly downshifting) in a corner will change the traction of the rear wheels unless you match speed perfectly. Downshifting without throttle creates extra drag, meaning the rear wheels have more forces to deal with. Upshifting, if you were counting on the power to oversteer around the corner, will usually stop you from doing so.

Choose the gear you want to be in at the exit of the corner, and be in that one before the turn.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 PM
First, it means taking your hands off the wheel - even with paddles, groping for the shifter while taking a fast corner is not optimal.

Second, shifting (mostly downshifting) in a corner will change the traction of the rear wheels unless you match speed perfectly. Downshifting without throttle creates extra drag, meaning the rear wheels have more forces to deal with. Upshifting, if you were counting on the power to oversteer around the corner, will usually stop you from doing so.

Choose the gear you want to be in at the exit of the corner, and be in that one before the turn.

FWIW this is not really an issue unless you are racing at the limit of traction (or in rain).

second, the G does throttle-matched downshifts so it's even less of an issue on this car

third, stop confusing the guy! he's already too concerned!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Moderation-free
Originally Posted by Altersys
FWIW this is not really an issue unless you are racing at the limit of traction (or in rain).

second, the G does throttle-matched downshifts so it's even less of an issue on this car

third, stop confusing the guy! he's already too concerned!!!
Au contraire mon ami - mostly agree, but the G is somewhat sensitive to oversteer anyway even nowhere near racing speeds (I know ). And throttle matching helps but doesn't fix the problem; without still having your foot on the gas, engine braking adds to the load on the back tires, and can unexpectedly start up some yaw. It sounds like the OP is somewhat new to the idea of RWD / shifting, so this might be challenging. In the rain on a slick road, I would imagine this is truly entertaining even with VDC.

And since he specifically asked, your opinion is that his question shouldn't be answered?

Peace

Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
And since he specifically asked, your opinion is that his question shouldn't be answered?
in a way... yes.