G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tips on using the new 2007 G35 shift paddles for Maximum Performance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tips on using the new 2007 G35 shift paddles for Maximum Performance?

Hello Guys..

I am new into the G35 World!

Just got one with the Steering Wheel Mounted shift paddles.. and guess what..

I suck in using them :-(

I really don't know when to Shift up, and when to shift down

Any tips?

Thanks guys.

VidER

Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I came out of a manual 6 speed car prior to the G. THis is my first Automatic transmission/paddle shifting vehicle. I didn't really have an issue as to when to shift up or down, but on the test drive my brain was trained to let off the gas when shifting. Doing this is totally not necessary like it normally is on a manual.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:39 AM
how does one answer this question?

it's a matter of experience and some logic... but mostly experience. i can't tell you to "shift at 4000 rpm" or something like that because it depends on the road conditions, the throttle position, and what you are trying to accomplish.

IMO the paddles are really used for HOLDING a gear. if you want faster and more racey shifting, use the DS mode. if you are canyon carving and want to control what gear the car is in, regardless of your throttle position, use the paddles to go into M mode.

the real advantage of the paddles is simply that you don't have to remove your right hand off the steering wheel to select a new gear. it's not automagically going to make you faster somehow, so don't expect that.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys.

Can someone post a video of him paddle shifting?

And if the goal is speeding on a highway, what are the recommended RPM milestones?

And about the gas, which is better to reach maximum speed fast, pushing the gas pedal all the way down at once, or pushing it slowly?

Thanks guys.

VidER

Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 AM
if your goal is max acceleration: push gas as fast as you can without the car losing traction.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Shift when your car is not pulling anymore (it means that your torque is in its maximum) and remember that every gears have their different shifting points. It's all about feel..... bro

Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Altersys
IMO the paddles are really used for HOLDING a gear. if you want faster and more racey shifting, use the DS mode. if you are canyon carving and want to control what gear the car is in, regardless of your throttle position, use the paddles to go into M mode.

the real advantage of the paddles is simply that you don't have to remove your right hand off the steering wheel to select a new gear. it's not automagically going to make you faster somehow, so don't expect that.
This is an excellent point - I use the paddles so the car is always in the gear I select. There's no right or wrong here (okay, guess if you're short-shifting and you want to go really fast, that could be considered 'wrong'), but in general if you're just cruising along, the car should be in lower rpms (<3k), if you're looking for acceleration you let it wind up. I rarely shift at redline, but often shift at 5k plus in go-fast mode.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Just use DS mode.. paddles are a novelty item on a conventional auto tranny.. I use them rarely ... mostly for down shifting. They just don't react quick enough or as you are expecting them to.

Paddles are more useful in a true clutch/manual gear set, such as the SMG setup.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys.

More questions:

1- So I shall shift up when my RPM goes relatively high and I should keep it under 3. But when to down shift exactly?

2- Can missing around with the shift paddle and not using it perfectly, harm the car or the gear?

3- If my intention was to reach a high speed (lets say 200km/h) in the shortest possible time, should I shift up fast? Or wait until the RPM goes very high between shifts?

Thanks guys.

VidER

Old 06-01-2007, 02:22 PM
3- Looking at our power curve, you should wind out each gear to redline for fastest acceleration.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VidER
Thanks guys.

More questions:

1- So I shall shift up when my RPM goes relatively high and I should keep it under 3. But when to down shift exactly?

2- Can missing around with the shift paddle and not using it perfectly, harm the car or the gear?

3- If my intention was to reach a high speed (lets say 200km/h) in the shortest possible time, should I shift up fast? Or wait until the RPM goes very high between shifts?

Thanks guys.

VidER
1. These statements seem to conflict? If you want to go fast, shift at high rpm - going slowly, don't bother. But that's not an absolute statement, when I'm trolling slowly on back roads I may stay in a lower gear.

2. No, the engine will stop you from damaging it It won't shift down unless the result will be below redline, for example.

3. As noted, typically you want to shift at redline (actually, since the shift takes a bit of time, at 7k) for max acceleration

Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by VidER
Thanks guys.

More questions:

Thanks guys.

VidER
i think you missed the point of my first post. please go back and re-read it.

synopsis: there is no single answer. you need experience. so drive the car, pay attention to what the engine is doing (is it bogging? is it running out of breath?) and act accordingly. learn how to drive your car with your style. how i drive my car may not match what you are trying to accomplish.

final thought: you're really overthinking it. just drive the derned thing

Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
^^^ +1
If you've driven a MT before, you'll feel the best point to shift....
Operative word: "feel"

Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
g-whizzer. that's a great new avatar.

it took me a week to realize that our cars have that awesome belt/speedline because you only see it in certain lights. i think it's beautiful and subtle! this car has curves that you normally only see on italians (okay, or germans). cars, that is.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey thanks - I grabbed it off one of the G commercials...
Love the lines on the G. You're right - I see many new lines at various angles.
What great design work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tips on using the new 2007 G35 shift paddles for Maximum Performance?