G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Engine cutting out when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cutting out when cold

Will be taking into dealer to have this looked at...

Now that hot weather is here, I noticed a few weeks ago, that when it's hot outside and the car has been sitting a while (cold) and I pull off into slow stop and go traffic (15-20mph) the engine pulls then cuts out, pulls then cuts out, not to the point off cutting off but close, it only seems to do this when trying to slowly accerate at low speeds (20mph).

After about 2-3 minutes once the engines warmed up it dosen't do it anymore until the car sits for a few hours and cools off.

No check engine light. No engine noises other than it reving, then losing power, reving, losing power... etc. When it starts doing this I can give it a little more gas and it revs up and runs ok.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i noticed the same thing like it hesitates alittle?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I think the term is "bucking". It usually indicates something like a bad MAF sensor.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
could be anything, but it surprises me that you're not getting an error code. could be bad spark, bad fuel, bad anything... not just bad MAF.

if i were in your shoes id be camped outside the dealer right now... good luck.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Have you gone through more than one tank of gas and it still happens?
Sounds like funky fuel to me....

Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 PM
See if this fixes it, let the car warm up at least to where the RPMs drop below 1k before driving.

I have the same issue and I noticed that it would only happen when I drove the car before/while it was still in the high RPM warm up mode.

I posted my reasoning behind this in a different post about 2 months ago but someone was able to put it into simpler terms. When the car is first started the CPU and engine are running at an input of ‘B’ higher than normal. When you step on the accelerator you start at point ‘A’, you would expect to get power right away however your cars drive by wire is already at point ‘B’ so you need to pass point ‘B’ before you start to get additional power.

The reverse is also true, if you are driving and your throttle input is at point ‘C’ (you pressing on the gas) then you slow down to point ‘A’ then press on the accelerator again you will not get additional power until the engine and CPU input passes point ‘B’. Once the car warms up then the false base line of point ‘B’ goes away.

Last edited by 03FXer; 06-05-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by 03FXer
See if this fixes it, let the car warm up at least to where the RPMs drop below 1k before driving.

I have the same issue and I noticed that it would only happen when I drove the car before/while it was still in the high RPM warm up mode.

I posted my reasoning behind this in a different post about 2 months ago but someone was able to put it into simpler terms. When the car is first started the CPU and engine are running at an input of ‘B’ higher than normal. When you step on the accelerator you start at point ‘A’, you would expect to get power right away however your cars drive by wire is already at point ‘B’ so you need to pass point ‘B’ before you start to get additional power.

The reverse is also true, if you are driving and your throttle input is at point ‘C’ (you pressing on the gas) then you slow down to point ‘A’ then press on the accelerator again you will not get additional power until the engine and CPU input passes point ‘B’. Once the car warms up then the false base line of point ‘B’ goes away.
Yep. It won't do it once the engine warms up. And it won't do it in the morning when it's cool outside and didn't do it this winter. But now that the temps are hitting 90-95F during the day, it happens when the engine is cold, but it's hot outside (>90F), for about the 1st 5 minutes or so of driving until the engine warms up.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Mine does it occasionally too. Only under partial throttle in the lower rpm's when I hit the gas. Almost like the ecu gets confused by the throttle position with the drive by wire. Cold or hot doesn't matter.

Last edited by g35_6gear; 06-06-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:15 PM
hi

it happend to me today

and every day when the engin become cold

so u have to warm the engine for few mins

it normal thing becaous the engin oil still cold and the engin
not only in the g35 it also happend to my landcruser and my patrol

so it normal

Old 06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
it's not normal... modern cars shouldn't do this, period.

modern oil, when cold, isn't sludge. if it is, you're running the wrong weight oil.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:25 AM
but i changed my oil in infiniti service

Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 AM
ok what kind of oil should i use

Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 AM
you're skipping ahead. i don't think it's an oil problem- it's unlikely that the dealer would put in the wrong oil for your application.

if this is happening to you, take your car to the dealer and have them diagnose it.

Last edited by Altersys; 06-07-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 AM
I am having the same problem with my car, did the dealer figure out what is causing this.

My dealer is very far away so I want to be able to fix this on my own if its something minor.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Anyone find a solution at the dealer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine cutting out when cold