G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Key Fob idea when they fix the cell phone issue.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Fob idea when they fix the cell phone issue.

I sent Infiniti a letter about a feature that can be added to the key fob when they send us new ones.
If you think it's a good idea please sned the message to Infiniti as well.

Thanks,
Bruce in L.A.

6/11/07

Consumer Affairs
Nissan of North America
P.O. 685003
Franklin, TN 37067-5003

Regarding the recall of the Infiniti 2007 G35 sedan key fob.

When your engineers are reprogramming the key fob to keep it from being affected by cell phones, I’d like to suggest an additional safety feature that could be incorporated into the fob.

If I have the key in my pocket, start the car with the button, and then step out of the car the engine is still running. This could cause a safety hazard as the car is running while unoccupied. Can you make it so that the car ignition will turn off when the key fob is out of range? Another safety benefit would be in case of a “carjacking” the driver could run from the car and the car would be left immobilized.

Thank you for considering adding this safety feature.

If any of you guys live in cold climates you might have to leave the fob in the car while warming it up. But I think overall this is a good safety feature.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:14 PM
if the key fob isn't in the car
and someone taps the brake to shift out of park, the car ignition will cut off.

so there already is a safety feature to prevent someone from stealing your car.
if you're talking about it as a safety feature to prevent you from accidentally leaving your car running, then that's a personal problem i think you need to deal with

Old 06-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ +1. I thought about this before in relation to a non-intelligent-key car, when someone said it best: "How is it different from you leaving your car key in the ignition? If you walk away from a car, anyone can come up and drive your car away."

But at least with our cars, if the thief turns the car off, he/she will never be able to turn the car on again. I didn't know about the ignition cut off that's activated by the brake/shifting, however. I should try it in my 6MT.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by dopey
if the key fob isn't in the car
and someone taps the brake to shift out of park, the car ignition will cut off.
This is simply not true. At least not in my '07 Journey / Premium.

The car will definitely continue to run, and you can most certainly shift into gear. "No Key" will light up in the display between the gauges.

Have you tried this with your car?

Old 06-30-2007, 12:13 AM
i haven't tested this.
i thought some other people on here reported that's what happened. i'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens.

Edit: it looks like it just beeps and stuff.
sorry for the misinformation. i seem to remember someone on here saying there was a cut off, but i must have been misremembering.

still, if you don't want the car stolen, don't leave it running. if you want to leave it running, lock the car when you leave. I'm not certain how having it stop the car when you're out of range is really useful unless you're the kind of person that forgets to shut your car off alot.

Last edited by dopey; 06-30-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:32 AM
I was in the dealership today for my baby oil change, while I was in, I talked to the service manager about the key fob issue. He said they have only had two cases of the key fob deaths due to cell phones. I guess people are being careful with their fob after Infiniti issued the key fob letter.

But any way, I asked him about what things could be customized through reprogramming the car, for example locking doors when you put the car in drive, locking the car doors automatically when the key fob gets out of range. He told me there is a whole list of things of stuff that can be customized but its all locked out or disabled in the program right now.

What gives, I read a thread https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...t=67686&page=5 on here that listed a whole bunch of stuff that can be cutomized on Nissans (maybe older G35's). I hope Infiniti is going to unlock some of this stuff for the '07 models soon. Next time I'm in there I'll ask if I can get a screen shot of the stuff which we may or may-not be able to change in the future.

Originally Posted by mondo
On a more serious note, saw this a while back... for Nissans and hopefully
G35
:

13 tweaks you probably didn't know about

After reading a couple of threads about adjusting the sensitivity of the automatic on/off feature for my Xenons, I decided to pay a visit to my dealer. Well, it turns out that once the car is hooked up to the dealer’s diagnostic computer, they can change several other settings at the same time.

My dealer (Trophy Nissan, Mesquite TX – also the operator of www.nissanwholesaleparts.com) told me that these settings are not listed in the owner’s manual, or even in the books the repair guys use. He says the only reason they know about the settings is from a training course they had to take before the 2002 Altima came out. They even made their own worksheet so Trophy’s customers can fill it out before their car is hooked up to the computer. Here are the settings you can change and the appropriate modes:

Door Lock/Unlock (with single click on keyfob)
Mode 1: Unlock left front door only
Mode 2: Unlock all doors

Anti-lock Out (prevents locking keys in car)
Mode 1: Master door lock switch can activate door locks w/ key in ignition
Mode 2: Master door lock switch cannot activate door locks w/ key in ignition

Dome Lamp Timer
Mode 1: Interior lamp comes on when left front door is unlocked
Mode 2: Interior lamp does not come on when left front door is unlocked

Retained Power (Amount of time windows and sunroof will operate after turning off ignition)
Mode 1: 45 seconds
Mode 2: No delay (Will not operate after ignition key is turned off)
Mode 3: 2 minutes

Auto Light On (headlights turn on as it gets dark)
Mode 1: Factory setting
Mode 2: Lights come on sooner than factory setting
Mode 3: Lights come on later than factor setting
Mode 4: Lights come on later than Mode 3

Head Lamp Battery Saver (applies when headlights left in “on” position, not in “auto.”
Mode 1: Shuts lamps off after 5 minutes
Mode 2: No time delay (headlights turn off immediately)

Headlamp Illumination delay (time headlights remain on after exiting car when headlight is in the “auto” position)
Mode 1: 45 seconds
Mode 2: No Delay (lights turn off immediately)
Mode 3: 30 Seconds
Mode 4: 1 minute
Mode 5: 1 ˝ minutes
Mode 6: 2 minutes
Mode 7: 2 ˝ minutes
Mode 8: 3 minutes

Hazard and Horn Reminder Mode (key fob allows you to choose between modes 1 & 2, but there are 4 others)
Mode 1 (C Mode): Lock = 2 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn
Mode 2 (S Mode): Lock = 2 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
Mode 3: Lock = 0 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
Mode 4: Lock = 2 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn
Mode 5: Lock = 2 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
Mode 6: Lock = 0 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn

Remote Auto Locking Function Mode (Doors automatically lock after exiting car)
Mode 1: 5 minute delay
Mode 2: Function disabled
Mode 3: 1 minute delay

Remote Panic Alarm Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
Mode 1: .5 seconds
Mode 3: 1.5 seconds

Remote Trunk Open Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
Mode 1: .5 seconds
Mode 3: 1.5 seconds

Remote Power Window Down Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
Mode 1: 3 seconds
Mode 3: 5 seconds

Have fun figuring which settings you want and pestering your dealer to change them for you!

Old 06-30-2007, 03:44 AM
I'm glad my salesperson was upfront about the situation.I already knew about thanks to this forum, but my salesguy brought it up first telling me the does and don'ts.
End of the month,trying to make a deal some guys won't say anything or claim amnesia."What problem?Recall what's that?"

Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by KJC5050

The car will definitely continue to run, and you can most certainly shift into gear. "No Key" will light up in the display between the gauges.

Agreed. Absolutely not true. My wife and I did a car swap and she drove the G home. She got home and called me; locked out because I still had the G's keys in my pocket. You can do whatever you want with the car, but once you shut it off, you cannot restart it without the key. So I suppose it's a bit better than leaving your keys in it.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:38 AM
My horns hold up my halo
I see your point but that is the BEST feature of the Ikey to me. You can leave it running AND lock it while you walk away if you need to. If you aren't going to lock it then you're at the mercy of whomever is around.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Totally agree, Cheryl... I think it's a great feature.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Cheryl that it's great to be able to leave the car running and lock the doors, but I would like it if they added the feature to roll up the windows with the ikey.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Yes, I agree with Cheryl. Occassionally, on very cold winter days, I may have a need to get out of the car and go indoors for a couple of minutes, and wish to leave my car running. I find it very convenient being able to leave the car running, and be able to lock the car doors from the outside. I think this is a great feature.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KJC5050

+1 Your car will happily drive off without a key.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 AM
I'd love for them to add remote start to the fob like BMW's.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:37 PM
yep...the car will def drive without the key in it and just keep giving you that no key warning. I love this feature though because if i want to run into a store real quick i just get out and press the button on the door. Cars stays running but its locked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key Fob idea when they fix the cell phone issue.