G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

DS mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DS mode

ok, i don't know much about the DS mode and i certainly don't wanna mess up my tranny.. i read in the manual it was designed for winding roads and when i drove in to play around it made sense.. it seems as though when you release the gas, the car still revs at the rpm you last left off and slowly downshifts which results in a nice sound and then as soon as you punch the gas again you start off at that higher rpm and to no surprise, you feel like you just ended up in the back seat! i love it and all, but i don't wanna mess up my tranny so does anyone know the details behind that mode?? for example, is there a certain rpm you should stay below?? is there a certain speed you should not exceed?? any info you guys could provide would be great, thanks!!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Weegie
ok, i don't know much about the DS mode and i certainly don't wanna mess up my tranny.. i read in the manual it was designed for winding roads and when i drove in to play around it made sense.. it seems as though when you release the gas, the car still revs at the rpm you last left off and slowly downshifts which results in a nice sound and then as soon as you punch the gas again you start off at that higher rpm and to no surprise, you feel like you just ended up in the back seat! i love it and all, but i don't wanna mess up my tranny so does anyone know the details behind that mode?? for example, is there a certain rpm you should stay below?? is there a certain speed you should not exceed?? any info you guys could provide would be great, thanks!!
I don't think there really is any certain speed you should stay under... I mean it's not a different/weaker tranny. You can rev as high as you want and what not. DS, I think, it actually shifts for you... up until the 3rd gear or so. I haven't gone to 4th gear on DS mode yet. If you move the shifter up/down, it then engages the "manual" mode and won't shift on its own.

I guess it's good for windy roads because you can engine brake and stuff. I think the manual mode is just like the old style D4-D1 except you have to shift up to go upto 4th gear.

Hm... it seems like I don't really make sense. If you guys don't understsand... sorry. I just barely woke up.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 PM
check the avatar

hahahaha j/k

DS mode is good for racing at the track, racing on the streets, or just putting your tranny/engine into a more spirited driving experience.

And about DS mode not shifting into 4th i have no clue about that...hmmmm maybe ill try it on my way home today.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
DS shifts all gears automatically and works great, if you don't want to use manual mode put it in DS for spirited driving and on the twisties.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
ahhhh you should see the smile on my face, i can't wait to get out of work now and slap it into DS mode... i was having a ball driving in DS mode, i actually turned down the SOW just so i could hear the engine braking when i would brake and swing into a turn, it was awesome... glad to hear "DS mode is where it's at" lol

thanks guy

Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Sorta OT, but I also noticed another cool feature of the tranny.

Say you are driving on the freeway in "D"...if you quickly go WOT for literally a split second and then let off the accelerator, the tranny will downshift (expected) and actually HOLD that lower gear for several seconds longer. It's like the tranny knows that you are about to make a pass.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Weegie
ahhhh you should see the smile on my face, i can't wait to get out of work now and slap it into DS mode... i was having a ball driving in DS mode, i actually turned down the SOW just so i could hear the engine braking when i would brake and swing into a turn, it was awesome... glad to hear "DS mode is where it's at" lol

thanks guy
wait till you buy a stillen exhaust...those downshifts sound soooo sweettttttttt

Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I found the regular "A" auto mode, and the "M" manual (paddle shifter mode), but how do you engage the DS mode? Sorry for the silly question. I searched and found alot of info on the DS mode, but nothing how to engage it?

Also, is there any way to turn the traction control off. I found the VDC off button, but the SLIP light still comes on to show traction control is on.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 PM
You are in DS mode before you manually shift in "M" mode.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27

And about DS mode not shifting into 4th i have no clue about that...hmmmm maybe ill try it on my way home today.
Is is not 4th but 5th that DS does not like to go into, at least on my sport. Very tough on the gas milage making my 20 mile commute with the engine running about 5000 RPM just waiting for me to go faster.

Of course when I use the paddles to shift into 5th I end up forgetting at then next stop light that I am in manual mode and can't figure out why the car is hitting the rev limiter and not shifting by itself.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Bad Toro
Don't worry, be happy. Enjoy it, you won't harm anything, just your pocket when you pull into the gas station...

Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
DS shifts all gears automatically and works great, if you don't want to use manual mode put it in DS for spirited driving and on the twisties.
The worst thing about DS mode is that with really hard driving it can dropdown too slowly and I am already into the turn, which upsets the balance of the car.

D for everyday driving.
DS when I want a more spirited feel.
M when I actually am "driving".

Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by gdbjr
Is is not 4th but 5th that DS does not like to go into, at least on my sport. Very tough on the gas milage making my 20 mile commute with the engine running about 5000 RPM just waiting for me to go faster.

Of course when I use the paddles to shift into 5th I end up forgetting at then next stop light that I am in manual mode and can't figure out why the car is hitting the rev limiter and not shifting by itself.
Same thing here, I think I have this same problem and its right @ 50mph for me. Theres a great banked on ramp that for some reason just sticks the transmission and it will not shift.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Same thing here, I think I have this same problem and its right @ 50mph for me. Theres a great banked on ramp that for some reason just sticks the transmission and it will not shift.
Wow. Mine stays in 4th just keeping up with traffic flow around Atlanta doing 70ish or more.