G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Anyone with a revised 6mt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with a revised 6mt?

In this thread the OP mentions that late model 07 sedans seem to have received the revised clutch and shifter. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? If so, how significant are the changes? If it is true then I can go look for a more recent 07 sedan rather than wait for the 08s to come out. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's how things felt to me. Either that or the tolerances in terms of clutch build quality are very low and some feel very stiff while others don't. We took in an '07 Sedan 6M/T w/ 5k miles the other day and it was built in '06. Clutch still felt stiff like my clutch when I first bought my car (my clutch pedal has since softened up a bit). However when I delivered a fresh June '07 production 6M/T Sedan a few weeks ago the clutch felt much less springy and slightly more progressive. Either that or I've been hitting the bong too much.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM
07 6mt

Mine was built in Feb 07 and feels like what is generally described as the 07 clutch ... high takeup and not that progressive.

I wonder when the cutoff was for the new clutch to be present ... late model 07 or only the 08s.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey all,

I just got my 07 g35S about 3 weeks ago. Its a replacement for my 06 6mt which was in a total loss accident. I can say that the clutch pedal does feel different between the two cars. The old one was horribly difficult to engage smoothly and the 07 althoug still modeately high, is a noteable improvement. It feels progressive and does engage slightly earlier. Now my car had 650km when i picked it up and I dont know how long it was on the lot. It was not a demo car but it was a quite dirty as if it had been sitting for a bit. Any way to check via the VIN?

Just thought i'd share.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by ON_6MT
Hey all,

I just got my 07 g35S about 3 weeks ago. Its a replacement for my 06 6mt which was in a total loss accident. I can say that the clutch pedal does feel different between the two cars. The old one was horribly difficult to engage smoothly and the 07 althoug still modeately high, is a noteable improvement. It feels progressive and does engage slightly earlier. Now my car had 650km when i picked it up and I dont know how long it was on the lot. It was not a demo car but it was a quite dirty as if it had been sitting for a bit. Any way to check via the VIN?

Just thought i'd share.
funny i feel the same way...and i picked up my car in april....

Old 08-12-2007, 10:40 PM
RCK
Like frink8, I have a Feb '07 build date 6MT and managed the high engagement/take up by moving my seat back. On my previous car, '97 Passat VR6, I got used to pushing down on the shorter and lower engagement VW clutch with the front of my seat tilted up. With the G the clutch is so long and the engagement so high, that getting above the G clutch became a literal pain in the knee. When I moved the seat back and lowered the front seat tilt somewhat, clutch engagement became much smoother. With 2000 miles on my G, the clutch now feels more progressive, even forgiving. With the high engagement point, I've found you don't need to go all the way down on the clutch to engage and takeup. So having the seat further works well. I'm a fairly "spirited" driver and haven't come close to grinding a gear.

The short shifter is a joy! Though I sometimes have trouble getting into 6th from fifth. Perhaps I'm tentative about not going into 4th, the G being my first 6 speed.

Last edited by RCK; 08-12-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-31-2007, 10:58 PM
I just wanted to update this thread. I recently got an 07 6 speed that was made in June. It seems like it has a slightly revised clutch and transmission. The vibration is still there but it is not quite as severe. The clutch engagement is a bit more gradual as well. To compare I drove a G37 MT and the clutch and stick felt the same. So I think that if there were any changes made to the clutch and transmission, then later model 07 sedans also have received the same treatment.