G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Getting 2008 G35 Journey instead of Sport 6mt.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting 2008 G35 Journey instead of Sport 6mt.

I was planning to buy a 2007 G35 sport 6mt last week because the impulsive side of me didn't want to wait another supposedly 2 months but decided to wait for 2008 model due to my friend's urging. But the 2008 models arrived today!

I live in Los Angeles area. I want a 2008 G35 sport with premimum only. I want the 6mt bad. My sales buddy looked up the inventory from all the west coast dealers and there are NO 2008 G35 sport with premimum only, they all come with at least navi too. He told me dealers are not 'hiding' cars at this time, so there is really no car for me. This is for the first TWO batch. So I have to wait till the 3rd batch, which will arrive estimated 1 month later. I wait for 2008 and now I have to wait more. This is getting painful.

After much thought and discussion with friends. I decided to get an AUTOMATIC. Getting an auto gives me a chance to buy the car NOW. I think auto tranny will be better for me in the long run. Too much traffic in Los Angeles. Plus if I get married and have kids auto tranny will be more practical.

It's sad that for 2008 Ivory Pearl paint don't come with Graphite interior. Overall I leaning toward 2008 Ivory Pearl with Stone interior, Journey model with premimum and sports package.

Last edited by oughttoreturn; 09-15-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Congrats man! I had no idea the 08's were out already. The 07's were available with IP/Graphite, although it seemed to be a rare combo.......are you sure that's it's not available at all for the 08 MY?

Have fun tomorrow!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned
haha. wow.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
The Ivory pearl is available with graphite leather on the new gen check on infiniti.com i believe the 05/06 models didn't come with ivory and graphite leather.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by fastride06
The Ivory pearl is available with graphite leather on the new gen check on infiniti.com i believe the 05/06 models didn't come with ivory and graphite leather.
07 yes, 08 no.

at least according to my dealer and one other now it seems.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aw man, go back to your dealer and tell him to search more dealers' inventories; why limit the search to only the west coast? Don't settle for an auto when you really want 3 pedals! Don't fool yourself into thinking an auto is 'more practical'... '*IF* you get married and have kids'? Your G will be 16 years old before your as-yet unborn kids will get a chance to drive it, and if you decide to get married, just marry a gal with her own car. Traffic... come on, everyone with a stick shift drives in traffic too, just like all the auto drivers, it's worth putting up with to have what you really want.

Besides, aren't most of the changes in '08 just for the X model anyway? Get the '07 manual, or hold your horses and wait for the '08 manual if you're set on that, but don't convince yourself you'll be better off with an auto, I think you'll regret it.

Good luck either way.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Bad Toro
Sorry to tell you but you are about to make the mistake of your life. You have waited so long, why not wait a little bit longer for what YOU want, not what your friends want you to have. I got an 07 Sport (AT) and I'm regretting so badly for not getting a 6MT. In my case, it was a custom order and I could have ordered either manual or auto - it didn't matter from a time frame standpoint. I opted to go with AT this time around because my wife managed to brainwash me, arguing about her inabilities to drive a manual and that there may be times where she'll need to take my car (she has her own though) if a baby pops up. Well, guess what! It's been half a year since I got the car and she drove it TWICE! In the mean time, I'm stuck with an awesome car but with auto tranny. To describe the feeling it would be something like having sex with your favorite celebrity/supermodel , but with a condom . It's great, but just doesn't cut it. If initially I thought that at least by getting a Sport model, I'll have the shifters to play with, now I know that the shifters can grow old very quickly, it's uncomfortable for me to hold both hands on the steering wheel in the 9/3 positions (I used to manuals so my right hand is always on the shifter). The general experience is not as nearly as fun as I imagined it would be. I had the chance to take Coupin827's 6MT for a spin (member here) and I drooled all over it. It was like day and night in terms of driving satisfaction. After that drive, I was so upset with my choice that I actually called my salesman to inquire about a trade-in for a 6MT (my car was only 3 months old at the time). Unfortunately, I would have lost about $5,000 if I were to trade in, which was too steep for me.

Listen to someone who has already been there and gone through the same scenario: Don't make the same mistake. Good things happen to those who wait. Custom order yourself an 08' 6MT with the exact color and options that YOU want. Trust me: You won't regret it.

Good luck.

Last edited by SPEEED; 09-15-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
don't believe them on the interest rate, i have good credit, and they said for me being top tier 8% is the best they can do, and it's competitive with what the banks are giving. I couldn't believe it, so i walked out, and they chased after me, and went on the phone for like 10 min, and came back with 6.3% so i bought the G

Old 09-15-2007, 10:50 AM
As a counterpoint to SPEEED's post I bought an '07 G35S AT. I originally really wanted a 6MT, but there weren't any 6MTs with prem, nav, and tech available readily, and the dealer had a G35S AT on the lot. Ended up getting it for 2700 off MSRP the first month the car was available, so I got a pretty impressive deal.

I'm quite happy with my choice. I've been driving manual cars for the last dozen or so years, and I have to say the AT doesn't take anything away from the fun of driving the car. The paddle shifters took some adapting to, but I think they work fine. Most of the time I'm in DS mode anyways, and that shifts fast and holds gears when I'm driving aggressively.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I also live in LA and my dealer tells me the first 08 orders Infiniti would take went in early last month and are due in around middle to late October. Not sure how they could come in a month early, but we'll have to wait and see.

I ordered an 08 Journey Sport with AT and have always had a stick. Yes, got married and it seemed like the right thing to do considering the wife and after reading all the great press on the AT and paddle shifters. So I went for it.

Regarding your choice of stick or AT, I tend to agree with others that you'll regret the AT if you'v always wanted the stick. I've driven in LA in my 04 6MT G35 Coupe for years and though I don't drive in freeway traffic much, it was fine for me. Just an occasional tired clutch leg.

Best of luck with your decision and I say get what you want and don't play the wait or compromise game. Just wait for what you want and be happy!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dopey
As a counterpoint to SPEEED's post I bought an '07 G35S AT. I originally really wanted a 6MT, but there weren't any 6MTs with prem, nav, and tech available readily, and the dealer had a G35S AT on the lot. Ended up getting it for 2700 off MSRP the first month the car was available, so I got a pretty impressive deal.

I'm quite happy with my choice. I've been driving manual cars for the last dozen or so years, and I have to say the AT doesn't take anything away from the fun of driving the car. The paddle shifters took some adapting to, but I think they work fine. Most of the time I'm in DS mode anyways, and that shifts fast and holds gears when I'm driving aggressively.
+1 With the AT Sport you get 90% of the benefits of an MT (e.g. gear selection for control), with the added benefits of paddles (don't have to take your hands off the wheel), and AT when you want it. I drove both, and don't regret my AT choice for a second.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with SPEED. When you are spending $35K+, you should get exactly what you want. What's another month or 2 of waiting compared to years of vehicle ownership? Like SPEED, I bought an automatic (05 Acura TSX) after 15 yrs of driving a manual and ever since the day I bought it, I've been looking for a manual replacement vehicle. I should have just stuck w/ my initial instincts.

SPEED - if you think it's bad that your wife only drove yours 2x, my wife has only driven my car ONCE in the last 3 years! With respect to the sex analogy, I think driving a stick vs. an auto is like the difference btw having real sex vs. jacking off. Sure both are pleasurable, but sex is about 1000x better!

Having said all that, after test driving both AT and manual G35s last week, I'm strongly leaning towards the AT! To reiterate what was said in the various long MT vs. AT threads, I didn't like how the revs would hang and actually jump a little bit when you shifted. I also didn't like the fact that the center console is smaller and pushed further back so you can't rest your elbow on it when your hand is on the shifter. With 2 little kids, I also didn't like the fact that the MT doesn't have the rear air vents. The shifter vibration is there, but not an issue. In fact, I didn't feel it all when I was driving - I only noticed it at the end of my test drive when I looked down and saw the shifter shaking - A LOT. The clutch was a bit grabby, but I got used to it almost immediately so, for me, that was a non-issue.

OTOH, I thought the AT was the best wannabe manual I've ever driven. It held gears and shifted only when you wanted to. The harder you accelerated, the firmer the shifts would be. It downshifted aggressively when you wanted and, once on a roll - like say 25+ mph, it performed similar to the MT.

Still, that MT felt ridiculously torquey and fast off the line and through 1st gear. Despite what the published specs indicate, it felt like the MT would rape the AT through 1st gear.

As you can see, though I'm leaning hard towards another AT, the MT is still somewhat in the running. Thankfully, I can wait for the 08s to make my final decision.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:42 PM
i turned down picking up an '07 6MT to wait for an '08 6MT

it ended up only being a month difference, my '07 would have gotten here around the 1st of this month, but my '08 will be here the 1st of oct.

definitely worth the wait imo

Old 09-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Still deciding.

Thanks everyone. I decided to wait until my final decision. Deep in my heart I want 6MT. Spending $30+ K and 306 horsepower without a stick.... something is missing.... Might have to special order one.... Perhaps a sport 6MT with zero options.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:00 PM
+1000 what SPEED said!!
my current car is 07 sedan 6mt and before that i bought a g35 coupe at. at first when i got the coupe i wanted stick real bad, at the end i got AT because my gf brainwash me lol. first 2 years was ok but after that everything went downhill from there. i regret drivin the AT everyday, i spent alot of money modding it already, rims, kit, system, lights etc but still it isnt the same as stick. i end up trading that sucker in for the 07 6mt sedan and now im loving it . i lost a big sum of $$ but at lease im very happy.

bottom line, get what u REALLY want. if your wife complains than tell her what if im not satisfied down the road. what if i decided to trade it in, tell her you'll end up losing a big sum of $$. not worth it at the end so might as well let u get what u really wanted.
gl man

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting 2008 G35 Journey instead of Sport 6mt.