HELP-making a deal now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ok, he is back with $36,618 for an 07.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah!!! Deal is sealed, $36k +tax, tag and title for an 07, tech, prem., nav. Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 09-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airhoppz
Plus its an '08, they aren't going to budge much in the first couple months on price. If you want it, get it. I'd still try and work a deal on an '07 though, since the car is virtually the same.
That's what the dealers always say as to why they want more money "it's a new model" or "this is a hot car", but it's totally untrue. In fact, it was all I heard when I went to buy my G35, but I still got it at $500 over invoice. Just tell them what you want to spend and be firm on it and eventually they always relent.

This isn't like the year 2000 when the Audi TT, Honda S2000, and Chrysler PT Cruiser were all selling for over sticker price because demand was so high. There's not anywhere near that level of demand for cars right now.

Originally Posted by baileyt35
Yeah!!! Deal is sealed, $36k +tax, tag and title for an 07, tech, prem., nav. Thanks everyone for your help!
Congrats on your new car! Not to rain on your parade, but if the '08 models are already out then I think you could have done a little better than that on an '07 which at this point would be considered last year's model.

The keys to getting the best price on a car are . . .

knowledge - know how much the car costs and what the invoice price is
patience - you never get the best price right away I've sometimes started negotiating two weeks before actually coming to agreement on a price.
visit multiple dealers - like in any industry if more than one person is fighting for your business it only works in your favor.
be firm - tell the dealer what you want to spend ($500 over invoice is very reasonable on almost any car) and stick to it. Don't waiver or he will think you are willing to accept a different price. Be willing to leave if you don't get your price within a reasonable amount of time (maybe an hour).

Old 09-29-2007, 12:31 AM
so what color did you get?

Old 10-01-2007, 03:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry but $500 over invoice IS NOT REASONABLE at all. I am a car salesman and I need to pay bills. $500 over invoice gives me nothing. You have to remember that you are doing a business transaction, meaning WIN/WIN.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=tensaix]so what color did you get?[/QUOTE

Black/Black (graphite/obsidian), love the car. Totally forgot about the break in period on the way back from Atlanta, ooopppssss

Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by heyitsalex
I'm sorry but $500 over invoice IS NOT REASONABLE at all. I am a car salesman and I need to pay bills. $500 over invoice gives me nothing. You have to remember that you are doing a business transaction, meaning WIN/WIN.
...just curious... How much money do you think should go in your pocket for each car that you sell?

Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I too am a salesman (although not cars) and I understand that you need to make a living. However, I as a consumer need to try and keep as much of my hard earned money in my own pocket as possible.

Only once have I ever paid more than $500 over invoice and other times I have paid invoice for a new car. From what I understand the invoice price is not necessarilly what the dealer pays for the car anyway.

Besides, if $500 over invoice wasn't a win situation why would these dealers not tell me to get lost?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 AM
I understand that dealers make money by selling you a car at $500 over invoice, we all know that to be true, but the bottom line is that the salesmen only get paid a small percentage of the profit made. I for example only get paid 22% of the profit. 22% of 500 = $110.00. Now don't get me wrong, thats a good amount of money, but being that the average salesman will only move 8-12 cars a month, it just does not add up to be enough money.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I understand that dealers make money by selling you a car at $500 over invoice, we all know that to be true, but the bottom line is that the salesmen only get paid a small percentage of the profit made. I for example only get paid 22% of the profit. 22% of 500 = $110.00. Now don't get me wrong, thats a good amount of money, but being that the average salesman will only move 8-12 cars a month, it just does not add up to be enough money.

Good insight. We always consider the stealership's situation, not the salesman's commission.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Its not about the percentage its about how much time you put into the deal and how much product you can move. Time = $. Obviously you know how the internet works, which is better then most clowns working at a dealership. Guess what ... you no longer cover your little neighborhood... you cover the entire Country! Try this everyone who e-mails you always gets $500 above invoice - that is as you said $110 in your pocket. They can mail/fax a down payment on the car through a fax before they come in. You just need to set up the online PDF forms. Then they come in and finish the papers immediately and you get $110 for 1 hour of work, if that. You sell 2 cars a day, that is a nice living. Rumor spreads and you become Infinite salesman of the year, based on honesty and efficiently, two qualities that used to be worth a damn in this country. Also don't bother with walk in customers - better to catch 2 snappers then chase a blue fish all day and go home hungry. Sy Syms knew what he was talking about when he said "an educated customer is our best customer" - go after the educated customer..make this your niche.

Just remember your function, regardless of what you are selling and how expensive it is, you are there to facilitate a sale. Nothing angers people more then a pushy, entitled waiter or salesman. There are multitudes of people doing far more making far less....

Old 10-02-2007, 09:56 AM
I have always been curious how much the salesman gets paid. Does your dealer also pay you based on how much he gets for hold back and any additional profit he makes on cars he pays less than invoice for?

Also, as I mentioned earlier I too am a salesman. Personally, I feel it's part of my job to get people to pay as much as possible for what I am selling. If I can't get you to pay more I don't get paid as much because I work on 100% commission. I realize sometimes you run into a smart consumer and get paid less and sometimes you get yourself a rube and have a nice pay day. It all works out in the end. Also, depending on what you are selling sometimes you can make it up in volume.

Last edited by MikeyC; 10-02-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Muffinmans your idea is great. But the truth of the matter is that we already have a seperate internet department who's sole purpose is to move volume. So they actually don't get paid the same way the salesmen on the floor get paid. They are considered the fleet guys getting paid on volume. It's true, time=$$ but it's never the salesman who wants to do the grind back and forth. It's the customer.

I take alot of pride in the dealership in which I work at because I know for a fact that (excluding some old-school salesmen) we are all honest and sincere. It's the manufacture's suggested retail price not some number we pulled out of our asses. Showing you the value in the product that you are purchasing is my job. Still wanting a discount in a way is like me not doing my job. Now I know that money talks, and it's hard to find anyone these days that pay full retail for cars, but I just hate the fact that everyone has this negative association with salesmen. We are the ones grinding the desk managers to get you the deal you want. We are on your side.

Remember this: You don't buy a car, we don't get paid!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:28 PM
heyitsalex ... I can see your point. I just bought a 2008 G35 sedan (Journey, Nav, Premium, splash guards, mats, and 18" performance tires) from a dealer for $35,500 before taxes/tags/and doc fee ($499). I went to the local dealership and the sales guy was great ... not pushy at all, knew about the car, and understood I was in not a haggler. This is what I want to pay and its either OK or not OK. I made a fair offer and his manager gave me a song a dance. 5 minute of *** kissing my family and 10 minutes of how there is no mark-up and how he just cannot do the deal unless I come up. he never counter offerred a price and never let a word in edgewise. Finally I realized this guy was going nowhere fast so I just walkedout. He made some comment about how I wont get a better deal anywhere than here and I never looke back.

I went to another dealership about 50 miles away and the experience was so different. I offerred the same deal on the same equipped car ad the manager said, no. He coutnered at $500 more than I said. I told him I would only fo the deal I offerred (in nicer terms) and if I let I was not driving back 50 miles tomorrow if they changed their mind. He understood I did not want to cart my family around and that he had a deal if he just sealed it. It was very pleasant overall and I respected his position.

I guess my point is that the manager can make a huge difference in the experience. Even when you get a good sales person, if the manager tries to blow smoke or keep me there for hours, I just walk out. I don't have time for that with 3 little kids.

I'll go back to the second dealership when we by another car, too.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by papajohn7
heyitsalex ... I can see your point. I just bought a 2008 G35 sedan (Journey, Nav, Premium, splash guards, mats, and 18" performance tires) from a dealer for $35,500 before taxes/tags/and doc fee ($499). I went to the local dealership and the sales guy was great ... not pushy at all, knew about the car, and understood I was in not a haggler. This is what I want to pay and its either OK or not OK. I made a fair offer and his manager gave me a song a dance. 5 minute of *** kissing my family and 10 minutes of how there is no mark-up and how he just cannot do the deal unless I come up. he never counter offerred a price and never let a word in edgewise. Finally I realized this guy was going nowhere fast so I just walkedout. He made some comment about how I wont get a better deal anywhere than here and I never looke back.

I went to another dealership about 50 miles away and the experience was so different. I offerred the same deal on the same equipped car ad the manager said, no. He coutnered at $500 more than I said. I told him I would only fo the deal I offerred (in nicer terms) and if I let I was not driving back 50 miles tomorrow if they changed their mind. He understood I did not want to cart my family around and that he had a deal if he just sealed it. It was very pleasant overall and I respected his position.

I guess my point is that the manager can make a huge difference in the experience. Even when you get a good sales person, if the manager tries to blow smoke or keep me there for hours, I just walk out. I don't have time for that with 3 little kids.

I'll go back to the second dealership when we by another car, too.
Yeah that happened to me too. I went to 3 dealerships and two were yanking my chain. The third dealer beat the other two on the first offer by thousands of dollars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP-making a deal now