G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

AWD vs. RWD for new car decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mkaresh
I see both of the big winter tire advocates are in Canada. And I'm in Michigan. He's in Baltimore. I don't think winter tires would make sense there, since he'll only have to deal with snow a handful of days each year.
You're right. The winter tire advocate comments seem to be coming from people experienced in winter driving. We've seen the results of fools trying to do drive with summer tires or many others not willing to invest in winter tires when weather dictates otherwise. I haven't wintered in Baltimore so can't comment on the conditions there and the proper tire choice. However I do know summers will be useless and dangerous in temperatures that are below 40 degrees Fahrenheit due to greatly reduced traction. That's before considering snow or ice if temps drop a bit more.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can get winter tires with slightly harder compounds for more low-temp dry driving than necessarily deep snow driving. given the winters we've been having, i don't think i'll be driving in anything approaching "snow" more than 5 times, but it's the temps that kill the tires, the soft compound will keep you gripping up(down) to -45,(depending on the tire). and as stated before, it doesn't even need to be freezing for summers to get hard and non-grippy.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Baltimore is on the North East coast about 3 hours from my home and temperates will drop below 40 in the winter.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
How does the Sport do in heavy rain from an aggressive launch? I probably would have gone with a sport if I had lived in an area without rain & snow. I do wish my X had the paddle shifters....maybe next time.
I find that the stock all seasons on the X are kind of crappy in the rain. They kind of like to hydroplane. I want better all seasons just for that reason alone. I live in SE Michigan, and don't fell I need winter tires. Winters are not that bad here, and if the roads are plowed, are fine. If I was still in Northern Michigan I would probably get winters.

The benefits of have having AWD available all the time seem worth it to me. Go AWD!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
oddly enough, my sister lives in michegan (west, kinda bout the middle), says the winters are horrible (can be), yet it's hard to find snow tires, and a lot of folks don't even know what they are.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How does the Sport do in heavy rain from an aggressive launch? I probably would have gone with a sport if I had lived in an area without rain & snow. I do wish my X had the paddle shifters....maybe next time.
Actually not bad - I live in Houston, and we get REALLY heavy rain sometimes. On a decent road, the Sport tires do okay, and they resist hydroplaning at high speeds well.

Now, there's one local road that's apparently made of lard...

Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Just a question for some of you guys. I find that a lot of members view it as an added expense to purchase a dedicated set of winter tires. While it might seem to be an added expense, I honestly don't think that it is.

Here is my thinking. Let's say I've got a new 08 G35x with the Goodyear AS tires. Also, let's say that I live in a climate that receives snowfall each winter, even if it's only a few storms. Also, let's say that I am able to safely run my AS tires 8 months of the year while running the winter tires the other 4 months of the year.

To me, that is 4 months less use of your AS tires each year, while giving you, your family, and your G more safety in the process. Your AS tires will last longer, since you are running them less months out of the year. I just don't get why some people take chances with their tires.....since running two sets of tires isn't really much of an added expense. And to those that say "we only get one or two snow storms a year"........well it only takes one snow storm to get into an accident.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
Actually I am considering a set of snows. I'd like to get some stock rims as well with TPMS sensors.

I wish they made a way for owner to easily register TPMS sensors of new tires/rims without the Activation and Consult III tools. Page WT-5 in SM.

EDIT: WT-6 shows a way without Activation tool...but you still need Consult III.

Last edited by treacherous; 10-04-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Actually I am considering a set of snows. I'd like to get some stock rims as well with TPMS sensors.

I wish they made a way for owner to easily register TPMS sensors of new tires/rims without the Activation and Consult III tools. Page WT-5 in SM.

EDIT: WT-6 shows a way without Activation tool...but you still need Consult III.
On my 05 G35X I had sensors in both sets of rims, but then I had to deal with getting them re-registered each tire change so I said the heck with it.

I have the sensors in my OEM rims with my winters installed on my 07 and no sensors in my summer set. It's much easier that way.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 AM
G35x
It looks like it might be possible to utilize just the activation tool. I found it online for around $180.00. I'll be off the grid for about 5 days so I will post more about it later. I might go without TPMS on the spare set as well.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Unless you're not capable of checking your own air pressure save your money.
You don't need to spend additional money for TPMS sensors on your winter wheel/tires. My wife would certainly need them.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I left them on my winter wheels since I don't want to check them in the blowing snow and cold, but I don't mind doing it in the warmer weather.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 PM
G35x
I guess I am just a little uptight about extra dash lights that are lit up. I may just deal with it. Even though we have TPMS I still check the tire pressure manually every week or so... along with the oil level.