G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

I'm an idiot - fog lights...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2007 | 07:19 AM
|
I'm an idiot - fog lights...

At 5 am it was almost impossible for me to make my brain read the manual page that had the diagram on it (2-39) to say nothing of not having anyone tell me if they were on or not. So can someone tell me how to turn them on? I've had the light switch on auto for the last 10 months and I'm not sure I've touched it once. The book seems to be saying to engage the high beams somehow but like I said, it was 5 am when I hit the road this morning and my reading comprehension was pretty low...

Old 10-04-2007 | 07:42 AM
Traveling Administrator
To turn the fog lights on, rotate the middle portion forward that is outlined in the pic below. The fogs will only come on when your low beams are on. As soon as you engage your high beams, the fogs shut off automatically.

Attached Thumbnails I'm an idiot - fog lights...-foglight.jpg  
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:51 AM
|
So when the lights are on auto I should be able to rotate that little sliver piece forward? Thanks. I was so tired that diagram might as well have been drawn by mc escher this morning...

Old 10-04-2007 | 07:55 AM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
So when the lights are on auto I should be able to rotate that little sliver piece forward? Thanks. I was so tired that diagram might as well have been drawn by mc escher this morning...
IIRC, the little silver piece is on the main control, which is how you put the lights on auto etc. The fog light control is the ring inside that, farther "down" the stalk towards the steering column. That's the one you turn for fog lights.

Old 10-04-2007 | 10:25 AM
we have fog lights?

Old 10-04-2007 | 10:32 AM
yea lol...the fog is the bottom portion of the stacked headlamp. We dont have a independent housing for it.

Old 10-04-2007 | 10:50 AM
One big motha...
Not to mention the fact that they do absolutely nothing... The headlights do such a good job they are really there just for looks. Especially since we can't turn them on w/o the low beams...

Old 10-04-2007 | 11:51 AM
I'd still like some daytime running lights...

Old 10-04-2007 | 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
I'd still like some daytime running lights...
I haven't had the chance to look at this.. i'll do it over the weekend hopefully it's as easy as my 4runner.. bend one of the pins on the foglight relay,using a piece of wire one end going to the bent pin on the relay the other goes to an acc power source (hot when ignition on) or maybe we could just tap it on the park light.. oh well i guess i'll find out

Old 10-04-2007 | 12:22 PM
i still like the fact that we have both the low and high beams on simultaneously, and that our "fogs" are what most people have as headlights... an option to turn them on independantly would be cool, and probably a feasible mod if you're up to it...

Old 10-04-2007 | 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by blindS!de
I haven't had the chance to look at this.. i'll do it over the weekend hopefully it's as easy as my 4runner.. bend one of the pins on the foglight relay,using a piece of wire one end going to the bent pin on the relay the other goes to an acc power source (hot when ignition on) or maybe we could just tap it on the park light.. oh well i guess i'll find out
I think there is something more screwey with Infiniti's setup - something to do with the logic controller in between the fog switch and the relay.

The older Nissans had it easy - thank the darn electronics for making a simple switch/relay so complicated !!

If you do figure this out - please please tell us your findings - I gave up after a while.

Old 10-04-2007 | 02:59 PM
the fog lights dont help in the fog, one reason is that the headlights have to be on while the fog lights are on. i was in the worst fog every a month ago, and with the headlights on it made the fog in front of you like you were looking at a wall and thats all you could see.

Old 10-04-2007 | 03:25 PM
Yeah so I think I'm gonna put xenon match halogens in there.

Anyone know which brand/type will match the stock xenon's closely?

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:17 PM
Yeah normally the BCM has its own logic to determine whether to send the 'fog light on' signal to the IPDM (which houses the relays) based on whether the switch is on, etc etc. But if hack directly the relay itself, we should bypass all of that.. (and consequently disabling the use of the foglight switch)

Anyway, keep us posted on any progress -- im sure myself and others are eager to have this effective mod done!

Originally Posted by max2k1
I think there is something more screwey with Infiniti's setup - something to do with the logic controller in between the fog switch and the relay.

The older Nissans had it easy - thank the darn electronics for making a simple switch/relay so complicated !!

If you do figure this out - please please tell us your findings - I gave up after a while.

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Comatose
Yeah normally the BCM has its own logic to determine whether to send the 'fog light on' signal to the IPDM (which houses the relays) based on whether the switch is on, etc etc. But if hack directly the relay itself, we should bypass all of that.. (and consequently disabling the use of the foglight switch)

Anyway, keep us posted on any progress -- im sure myself and others are eager to have this effective mod done!
Absolutely true.

What I've done in previous cars (nissans included) is to hack the relays and still retain the fog light switch as usable - so you still control when to turn on the fog - its just that the link to the headlight is no longer present.

I am thinking it is much harder in the G given the BCM sitting there "interpreting" the damn switch

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot - fog lights...