G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Sunroof Exploded!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was driving in rush hour and was going about 15-20mph. No trucks, nothing overtop of me and there is no evidence of anything hitting the car. Just the shattered glass. It literally sounded like someone was on top of the car shooting a freakin cannon. I saw no rocks or anything. It's tempered glass so I would imagine it would have to be a huge rock. I didn't have time to go back home and get my digital camera so I bought a throw away and took some pictures at lunch. The glass is raised upwards and the whole thing is shattered. 70% is gone. My roof line and trunk are chipped up from the glass. I hope Infiniti is going to take care of the sunroof and the painting, but I have a feeling the paint is going to be a fight. I may have to go through insurance. Then of course the paint will never match the original. I love my G, but I've had more problems with it than any other vehicle I've owned. Keyfob, gas cap teather, volume controls sound sticky and the dealership swears it's normal although I've had 4 loaners that all sound fine, the front of the passenger seat broke free, now the sunroof.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Youch! In general tho, wouldn't a sunroof with tinted filmn have prevented the glass from breaking away, since its more or less 'stuck' to the tint?

Originally Posted by G35Now!
Have not had this happen in multiple cars with moonroof. I'd heard a "legend" that you shouldn't tint your sunroof for the heat buildup reason, but tinted my Maxima's sunroof and has been outside in Houston heat (outside temp of 100 or so, in direct sunlight - so HOT) for hours at a time with no trouble. Very odd - I'd guess that perhaps there's a low pressure area above the sunroof at speed, so if it's weakened and cracks the roof blows upwards? With the parked cars mentioned in the other thread, that's probably pressure and heat.

Can't be a pressure thing for the G, the G has flaps under the rear bumper cover that are normally closed, but puff open when you close the door so pressure is released.

Wow...

Old 10-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Should I call my insurance immediately or should I wait to see what Infiniti says?

Infiniti dealer called this afternoon and said "Nissan" has not reported any occurence of this happening. Nissan corporate was sending a field manager or something like that, to look at the car to determine if they are going to pay for it to be replaced. I asked about the paint and he stopped short of basically saying no way in hell. So insurance is going to have to cover this anyway.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Comatose
Youch! In general tho, wouldn't a sunroof with tinted filmn have prevented the glass from breaking away, since its more or less 'stuck' to the tint?
Think the G moonroof is actually tinted glass vs. tint film.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Here is a link to a previous thread w/pics from cup0spam on the subject of the exploding sunroof.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...hlight=sunroof

Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, after seeing that, it looks almost exactly like my sunroof. I have to take into consideration that it may be a possibility that a rock hit it without me seeing it. Hard to believe going so slowly, but anything is possible.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
IMO: I don't think it was a rock that hit it, because of the way it exploded outward.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
damn thats odd!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Virus
This morning on the way to work my sunroof literally exploded upwards and the glass screwed my roof and trunk paint up. Nothing hit it, it just exploded. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought I read about this awhile back on the forum. The dealership has it, but they say it's never happened before. What the hell should I do?
Interesting - Tempered glass can sometimes "explode" due to contamination by nickel sulfide, a mineral inclusion inside the glass that can expand without warning and cause breakage. Has happened with architectural glass, causing glass to fall out of high-rise buildings. Not saying this caused your break but it happens.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Virus
Should I call my insurance immediately or should I wait to see what Infiniti says?

Infiniti dealer called this afternoon and said "Nissan" has not reported any occurence of this happening. Nissan corporate was sending a field manager or something like that, to look at the car to determine if they are going to pay for it to be replaced. I asked about the paint and he stopped short of basically saying no way in hell. So insurance is going to have to cover this anyway.
If they do not pay for it I would 100% do small claims! Take a lot of pictures, it should be pretty easy to prove they owe you. The repaired the sunroof under warranty admitting to defect, and that defect lead to other damage which should also be covered by their mistake/defect!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Man your lucky, I think it was an alien trying to suck you out of your car. You probably just escaped death by **** probe! I would be pissed tho. ET and his practical jokes.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, I received the call today. The field manager said that since their has been no other reports of this that he won't cover it. I said, "someone has to be the first". The Service Director said that he had explained that the glass is bowed upwards and the track pieces of the sunroof (metal) are bent upwards slightly. He told the field manager that there is no sign of glass falling into or towards the interior of the vehicle. He told me to call Customer Care and very nicely explain the situation to customer care. I did so and they are going to investigate it and someone would contact me within 24 hours. And so the drama continues. $700 parts and labor to replace, not to mention the cost of the paint repair.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:08 PM
My best friernd had somewthing similar happen to him on his drive up to my college a few years back. He was driving a honda accord coupe with the roof open ( im, sure you all know that the roof on hondas halfway sticks out) , doing 70ish and a pebble, not a rock, a pebble kicked up and shattered his roof. He had to drive like a hundred miles the rest of the way with it shattered and leave it that way til he went back to his school. Car companies need to make these sunroofs alittle better so crap like that doesnt happen.
Wg

Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't know about Infiniti covering the broken sunroof under warranty, though I'd certainly ask. Years ago, I had a '97 Avalon and one day I was driving it, heard a cracking noise and looked in the rearview to find the whole rear glass shattered. I was pulling out of a parking lot and absolutely nothing hit the glass. I'd only had the car about a month and figured it was defective glass or maybe the fit was too tight. The dealership declined to cover it under warranty, and franky, how can you really prove the glass broke spontaneously? They were nice about and said it is possible the glass was defective or improperly installed at the factory, but without proof they couldn't get Toyota to authorize the repair. I mean a sunroof could easily get broken by a rogue hailstone from a blue sky, or perhaps a very small meteor.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
I have heard of this happening to Cadillac SRXs'. Look in the caddy forums, I forget why the roof would explode on those.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Exploded!