G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Timing advance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing advance?

I know that most cars come from the factory with conservative timing settings, and that there is usually a fair amount of power and mpg that can be had by a small timing advance (5 degrees or less usually). My ancient Infiniti gained noticeable power (butt dyno) and about 15% better gas mileage after a 4 degree advance from stock, which was an easy DIY operation; these gains were over and above what I got after changing the intake and exhaust.

On the new G this is clearly not so easy to do. I've read on this site about owners of 2003-2006 G's having their dealers advance the timing up to 2 degrees. Has anyone investigated this for the 2007 sedan? Is it even possible with the funky variable timing system on the VQ35HR?

I'm planning to get the CC TSB done, and figured I would ask the dealer to do this at the same time, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

TIA

Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be great info if someone out there that is knowledgable can comment. most of us would have it adjusted in a heartbeat if this proved to be true.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I spent an extensive amount of time researching and tuning my last car (02 Trans Am). In a period of two years, I went through roughly 150 different tunes.

Even with supporting mods (I had heads/cam/full exhaust, etc.) adjusting a few degrees of timing only made about a 5hp difference.

The only way it would make a large difference is if you seriously mod the car and your timins is way off. On a stock car...... I'd be surprised if you would feel much difference with just a timing change.

Bottom line: Yes, factory tunes are conservative, for a reason. But, you're unlikely to gain much power by just adjusting the timing on a stock car.

Even a full tune (timing and fueling), stock N/A cars are lucky to get 10-15hp.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah, and unless there's a problem with the car related to timing, your chances of getting the dealership to modify your timing is slim to none.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:09 PM
I threw 12* of advance into my GTI's tune (on 100 oct) and it jumped from 288whp to 319whp on the same boost (T3-super60).

Granted this is a turbo'd car with 'race' gas, but I'd imagine a timing tweak could make as much difference as any other mod available to the G.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by KCMO
I threw 12* of advance into my GTI's tune (on 100 oct) and it jumped from 288whp to 319whp on the same boost (T3-super60).

Granted this is a turbo'd car with 'race' gas, but I'd imagine a timing tweak could make as much difference as any other mod available to the G.
Turbo car, race gas, and 12* of timing are your answers.

We're talking N/A, stock, and 4* of timing.

Just look at how much power a full tune gives you, then cut it in 1/3 or 1/2. That should be how much you'll gain from just a timing change. Not worth voiding the warranty over.

Plus, I'm not sure how/why you'd get just the timing changed and not change the rest of your programming.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
I guess I should be more clear about my preferences. I am way more interested in low end and midrange than WOT. WOT is great, if I lost a little, I wouldn't care, but as my car will spend 99.9% of it's running time below 5500RPM, that's where my emphasis is. My understanding is that a small advance in base timing would yield more power at lower rpms, and zero or small power loss at higher RPMs, depending on how the computer compensates.

My understanding is that advancing the timing makes the engine run a bit hotter which increases NOX emissions, and that is why the factory keeps it sub-optimal for performance/mpg purposes, not so much for the safety of the engine, which only comes into play with a larger advance.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by stinky
I guess I should be more clear about my preferences. I am way more interested in low end and midrange than WOT. WOT is great, if I lost a little, I wouldn't care, but as my car will spend 99.9% of it's running time below 5500RPM, that's where my emphasis is. My understanding is that a small advance in base timing would yield more power at lower rpms, and zero or small power loss at higher RPMs, depending on how the computer compensates.

My understanding is that advancing the timing makes the engine run a bit hotter which increases NOX emissions, and that is why the factory keeps it sub-optimal for performance/mpg purposes, not so much for the safety of the engine, which only comes into play with a larger advance.
I doubt you'll get anything in the low end at WOT out of a 2-3° timing advance, seriously.

What you're looking for is something more like the SprintBooster. I've been looking into something like this after finding out that it works on my Benz... It basically sits between the gas pedal's potentiometer and the ECU, and translates the signal to provide better response.

It doesn't increase hp or anything of the sort... it just remaps the signal to have the car take off like a rocket when you tap the gas. Still waiting to hear from them about an interface for the G35 though.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by stinky

Yes, increasing your timing table at part throttle and lower rpms can make a noticeable difference in throttle response and power at part throttle.

But, what you're "looking for" is a complete custom tune, not just a timingchange. But you're definitely not going to find it (a timing change or a full tune) at your dealer, and even more definitely not for free at your dealer.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by viguera
I doubt you'll get anything in the low end at WOT out of a 2-3° timing advance, seriously.

What you're looking for is something more like the SprintBooster. I've been looking into something like this after finding out that it works on my Benz... It basically sits between the gas pedal's potentiometer and the ECU, and translates the signal to provide better response.

It doesn't increase hp or anything of the sort... it just remaps the signal to have the car take off like a rocket when you tap the gas. Still waiting to hear from them about an interface for the G35 though.
Yikes.

Why would you want something like this? Most of the G35 drivers are wanting to get rid of the overly sensitve throttle, not make it worse.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by silverG2007
Yes, increasing your timing table at part throttle and lower rpms can make a noticeable difference in throttle response and power at part throttle.

But, what you're "looking for" is a complete custom tune, not just a timingchange. But you're definitely not going to find it (a timing change or a full tune) at your dealer, and even more definitely not for free at your dealer.
Yeah so I want a custom tune on the cheap. Who doesn't?

And no I don't want the throttle to be any more sensitive. I'm planning to do the CC TSB so it will be LESS sensitive. I'll ask them when I take it in and see what they'll do for me if anything.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Yikes.

Why would you want something like this? Most of the G35 drivers are wanting to get rid of the overly sensitve throttle, not make it worse.
The operative word there is "most"

And I think the only people that complain about the throttle sensitivity are the ones that use cruise control a lot, and they hate the surges. I personally don't mind if I put my foot down and the car says "yes sir!" and takes off.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A few questions: First, where can you get a full tune? Custom shop or whatever? And second, I'm assuming this a fuel mapping, timing etc. etc. thing - does it help NA cars? What are the potential downsides?

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
A few questions: First, where can you get a full tune? Custom shop or whatever? And second, I'm assuming this a fuel mapping, timing etc. etc. thing - does it help NA cars? What are the potential downsides?

Thanks!
Where to go? Honestly, I'm not sure, haven't looked into it for the G35 yet.

Does it help NA cars? Generally, every car has "some room for improvement" in its tune over the factory stock tune. They tend to be pretty conservative. But, most stock cars will only gain 10-15 hp tops from a tune.

As you add a bunch of mods (internal mods, or lots of bolt ons) you need a tune to get fueling, etc. correct and you can gain a lot from a tune.

For turbo cars, a tune can yield great gains when the computer controls boost levels.

All in all, I wouldn't waste my money trying to get a few hp on the G35 and void the warranty.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by viguera
The operative word there is "most"

And I think the only people that complain about the throttle sensitivity are the ones that use cruise control a lot, and they hate the surges. I personally don't mind if I put my foot down and the car says "yes sir!" and takes off.

I just got the CC fix today and love the result.

The car still has the same great throttle response (it gets up and goes), it's just that I have more control over it now. It's not overly sensitive.

It goes when I ask it to, and creeps when I ask it to. Before, you had to be careful not to spill your coffee.