G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Can wider tires affect MPG? 20mpg@80mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by csdstudio
^^ Correct. I'm just comparing lighter wheels to heavier wheels. Once in motion and at a fixed velocity there would be no more drag with heavier wheels than lighter ones. Heavier wheels only affect change of velocity, resulting in slower acceleration and slower deceleration. Are we talking the same?
THis is an incorrect assumption, the friction is a function of the weight and width of the tires. Added width to the tires means more perisitic friction loss due to contact with the road surface. This can result in lower mileage.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
But weight is only 5lbs each wheel, no more than a couple 12 packs on the trunk. I understand acceleration is hindered with added wheel weight, but once cruising, weight is just added car weight just like adding passengers. My mileage is the same with just me, or with 4 passengers. And overall diameter is the same as stock 18's.
What jeff said is correct. 5 pounds to the each wheel is a HUGE ammount of weight to the car. Its rotational and unsprung weight. That 20 pounds is probably equal to 60 pounds of extra weight inside the car. You car is probably .3 seconds slower than it was before as well, if not more.

-Sean

Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
THis is an incorrect assumption, the friction is a function of the weight and width of the tires. Added width to the tires means more perisitic friction loss due to contact with the road surface. This can result in lower mileage.
I see, so if we're not talking acceleration, just rolling resistance:

From a friction standpoint a 225 tire increased to 245 is ~9% increase in friction? As far is friction is concerned, added weight is hardly noticeable because each tire already has 900+ lbs between it and the ground. But, what has more friction, aerodynamic resistance, or tire resistance? Because let's say if the ratio between air and tire resitance is 1:1, then total resitance has increased only ~4%. Uh, this is crazy.

Originally Posted by Nismo G
5 pounds to the each wheel is a HUGE ammount of weight to the car. Its rotational and unsprung weight. That 20 pounds is probably equal to 60 pounds of extra weight inside the car. You car is probably .3 seconds slower than it was before as well, if not more.-Sean
Not ranting at all, but I know I've heard that a million times. Are there any studies or data to show that the difference is that great? Has someone done back to back time trials? Are there any formulas to calculate differences between different weight/diameter wheels? I just don't feel any difference compared to stock. And I DID notice a big difference in acceleration from my old 05 Coupe (~14.2 car) to my new car (~13.9 car) so at least I know my butt dyno isn't numb.

Last edited by csdstudio; 11-05-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Not ranting at all, but I know I've heard that a million times. Are there any studies or data to show that the difference is that great? Has someone done back to back time trials? Are there any formulas to calculate differences between different weight/diameter wheels? I just don't feel any difference compared to stock. And I DID notice a big difference in acceleration from my old 05 Coupe (~14.2 car) to my new car (~13.9 car) so at least I know my butt dyno isn't numb.
I have no idea what the new sedans run, but 13.9 with the m45 wheels seems pretty damn low.

Anyways, if i remember unsprung weight has a 1 to 8 factor. 1 pound of unsprung weight is equal to 8 pounds of sprung weight. I have not yet taken my car to the track to test this theory, but maybe this thursday i will. Then again weather conditions come into play as well so it is hard to tell. With my OEM 17" rims my best run was a 13.8 i have lost about 3 to 4 pounds per wheel when i put my 19" rims on and thats factoring the tires as well. So if i do the math thats equal to about 96 pounds of regular weight i lost. Which would be something around .2 seconds off the 1/4 mile.

-Sean

Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
What jeff said is correct. 5 pounds to the each wheel is a HUGE ammount of weight to the car. Its rotational and unsprung weight. That 20 pounds is probably equal to 60 pounds of extra weight inside the car. You car is probably .3 seconds slower than it was before as well, if not more.

-Sean
Side note: 100 lbs = 10hp = .1 second (1/4 mile) roughly.

All I know is that heavier wheels and tires hurt fuel economy, acceleration, etc. more than just adding that weight to the trunk.

But 4mpg seems too much.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe this sounds dumb, but when you change the size of your wheels/tires, it affects the speedometer and odometer, so perhaps that is the difference?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I could get WAY involved with this, but according to my calculations, with the rated PSI on the tire, you should lose about 4.6-4.7% mpg. This is due to the "sag" of the tire at the point of contact. Where the car weighs down, there is a larger contact point and the tire sags under the weight., this is why a rolling ball stops (eventually) even if air resistance in negligible.

Dont make me get into it.

Kevin

Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Maybe this sounds dumb, but when you change the size of your wheels/tires, it affects the speedometer and odometer, so perhaps that is the difference?
Not if the tires are sized correctly, the diameters should be the same as stock. This might attribute a slight error, but can't be the sole reason.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did not have a noticeable change in mpg when i went to 20's....

But, when i dropped the fujita's in it dropped 3mpg lol.

can't keep the foot out of the throttle now

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Increased rotating mass = reduced fuel economy

Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Or just put your stock wheels/tires back on and compare.

I see, so if we're not talking acceleration, just rolling resistance:

From a friction standpoint a 225 tire increased to 245 is ~9% increase in friction? As far is friction is concerned, added weight is hardly noticeable because each tire already has 900+ lbs between it and the ground. But, what has more friction, aerodynamic resistance, or tire resistance? Because let's say if the ratio between air and tire resitance is 1:1, then total resitance has increased only ~4%. Uh, this is crazy.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
I could get WAY involved with this, but according to my calculations, with the rated PSI on the tire, you should lose about 4.6-4.7% mpg. This is due to the "sag" of the tire at the point of contact. Where the car weighs down, there is a larger contact point and the tire sags under the weight., this is why a rolling ball stops (eventually) even if air resistance in negligible.

Dont make me get into it.

Kevin
To try something new, I put in ~42psi with zero increase in mileage, only a major decrease in ride quality.

Tires are same diameter as stock.

I'd put my stock wheels back on to compare, but I'm trying to sell them.

"But 4mpg seems too much." Agreed, that's why I'm trying to figure this out.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Hmmm. My understanding is that at equal pressure, the contact patch for a wider tire is the same size (area) as a narrower tire, but the patch is a different shape (i.e. wider). The shape of the contact patch can impact how the tread contacts the road, which could in turn affect rolling resistance.

The tread and compound material determine rolling resistance, not tire width. Big wide slicks have almost no rolling resistance, but narrower snows still have a lot. Mileage with slicks is better than with snows, regardless of width.

my 2 pennies ;-)

Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Something else to try: Calculate the fuel economy yourself. Fill up tank, drive on highway, measure distance, fill up again, divide the two numbers.

Heat, humidity, wind, speed, etc. can also affect fuel economy.

But, I still can't see how you'd be getting as low as 20mpg. I'm assuming you're resetting your average fuel economy when you're on the highway, right?