10.39%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

OEM Grille Chipping, Replacement option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 559MostWanted
yea i dont mind rock chips...i had my civic for 7 years driving streets and Highways and it wasnt too bad. I do drive far back from other vehicles. hopefully everything will be good. The way I read the posts here it seems like its not the rocks faults but more like cheap paint?
Well, let me tell you this, if anyone thinks the older cars had better paint, forget it! My first new car, a '68 Mustang, had paint chips all over the front end, at the scoops on the sides and anything else that faced forward, I had that car 4 years, and had the lower valence below the front bumper repainted after 3 years it looked so bad, I probably repainted the black grille at least 3 times, wish they had the clear back then. Having owned 2 previous Infiniti's, the '04 only had the mask on the hood, and living in NM, we get a lot of sand blowing here and you wind up driving right into it sometimes, I think this paint holds up very well given that. You also have to remember, the cars of today hug the road a lot lower than the old cars. The newer paints are so much better than those "classic" paints. Just my .02. Rock hits paint, paint chips, regardless of how tough the paint may seem!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if the G is the same as any other car I owned then I think it should be fine for me. I never had much issues with paint chips or damage due to rocks or debris. Im shocked so many of you guys have this issue

Old 11-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
G35x
Maybe it's the roads around where I live. A lot of road construction is going on. I have an '07 loaner right now that was manufactured 07/07 with around 1900 miles and it already has about 1/3 of the chips my grille has. I guess I will just have to live with it even if they replace mine.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:31 PM
use the front end mask on long trips or big trips on the highway...it's ugly as all get out...but it saves some damage...

then take it off when you get home

Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to black chrome the OEM grille and put it back on the car. I have the Gialla grille on right now but would prefer the OEM. I took the grille off because it was chipped and pitted. Is there anyone out there that has black chromed their grille?

Old 01-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Hate to bring this thread back up but my 08 with 250 miles on it has 2 chips on the grill I dont follow anyone closely but guess i will try to get it replaced if it gets worse

Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
G35x
I'm going to purchase a replacement from Jason in the spring. No sense thrashing up a new one in the middle of winter. In addition to snow tires maybe I will end up swapping in my winter grille as well. :-)

My local dealer simply stated it was rock chips and would not replace. I noticed chips on an '08 loaner I had in November so it seems problem is not fully resolved.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:24 PM
how much is a replacement grill anyways?

Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Dealership replaced grill last August. New grill is now junk also. Infiniti went cheap on this grill.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
G35x
Originally Posted by suprajjang
how much is a replacement grill anyways?
I was told $173/shipped out of CA from Jason at Riverside

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Are there any aftermarket grilles? Had a mesh grille from Active Tuning on my Alty and it looked great.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 AM
im at 1300 miles and got 1 small chip...who makesa after market black grill with the wire mesh?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know guys. I had ine replaced I think in January last year. It looked like I was coming from the war zone. Since that I put 18k miles in the car and find only 1 tiny chip on it. I never changed my driving habit or nothing. So it must be the grill. Before there were 100's of them in 2 months.

Just an advise if you go and ask for a replacment. Take the guy out and ask if he knows anything about chrome plating. Yes or know he should know the chrome plating is more durable then the paint. That should be your starting point. No matter if it is on plastic or metal.

Then ask him to check if a little area and count how many tiny chips he can find. Then just ask him if he can find a same amont or more on the paint around the grill.

That's what I did. I went there with no appointment. Asked them if they can help me. They were asking if those are chipping from road dirt. I told them the same if that's the case I should have my paint chipped also around the grill. He walked out there was only 1 little chipping on the paint and 100's of them on the grill. He said ok lets go in and order a new one.

Since that I am happy.

I hope it works out good for you guys. I thought first maybe the replacement will chip too. But it wasn't the case for me. It is perfect. I am a happy camper.

TG

Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Well, let me tell you this, if anyone thinks the older cars had better paint, forget it! My first new car, a '68 Mustang, had paint chips all over the front end, at the scoops on the sides and anything else that faced forward, I had that car 4 years, and had the lower valence below the front bumper repainted after 3 years it looked so bad, I probably repainted the black grille at least 3 times, wish they had the clear back then. Having owned 2 previous Infiniti's, the '04 only had the mask on the hood, and living in NM, we get a lot of sand blowing here and you wind up driving right into it sometimes, I think this paint holds up very well given that. You also have to remember, the cars of today hug the road a lot lower than the old cars. The newer paints are so much better than those "classic" paints. Just my .02. Rock hits paint, paint chips, regardless of how tough the paint may seem!
I have to disagree with that completetly based on my experience with cars (which goes back to 1968). My '95 F-150 has good, old solvent-based acrylic paint & a slug from a .38 wouldn't chip that paint. No hood chips at all. I once got hit by the discarded carcass of an 18-wheeler recap. It dented the heck out of the front of the hood, but didn't break the paint!

Haven't had the same robustness with paint on my G. No way, no how.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XR400R
I have to disagree with that completetly based on my experience with cars (which goes back to 1968). My '95 F-150 has good, old solvent-based acrylic paint & a slug from a .38 wouldn't chip that paint. No hood chips at all. I once got hit by the discarded carcass of an 18-wheeler recap. It dented the heck out of the front of the hood, but didn't break the paint!

Haven't had the same robustness with paint on my G. No way, no how.
Not sure if anyone has experience with Audi's but on their A8 models, their paint is stronger then their frame. you can take a hammer to the paint and you'll scratch the hammer. This car has hands down the best paint job I've ever seen (smokes BMW & MB) there is probably 40 coats of paint and 20 coats of clearcoat totaling about 1/4" of paint. Amazing job. My parents have 2 A8's (2000 & 2004) and both look like new when you give them a good wash.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM Grille Chipping, Replacement option