Engine Knock for Short time after starting car during acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverG2007
Is it ticking, or true knock?

Do you know the difference in sound?

When I was tuning my last car, you could hear real KR, it's an uneven ticking sound. (sporatic)

If the ticking is evenly spaced then it's likely something else.

My first thought (since it happens before the car is warmed up) is that it's emmissions control crap. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) or something like that.
It is a tapping noise that is proportional to the amount of stress I am applying to the engine (so when accelerating it gets quicker).

Old 11-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait... this could be the silicone trapped in the heater core... does it sound like it's coming from behind the steering wheel?

The old broom stick or plunger trick is the best way to check to see if it's an engine noise or somewhere else in the car... take a wood broom stick and touch it against the engine block then put your ear to the other end of the stick... you can listen inside the engine. it's pretty cool if you have never done this... you can then move from one cylinder to another trying to locate the noise.

Caution: be very careful with the stick that you dont go near the front of the engine belts/fan.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kring
Wait... this could be the silicone trapped in the heater core... does it sound like it's coming from behind the steering wheel?

The old broom stick or plunger trick is the best way to check to see if it's an engine noise or somewhere else in the car... take a wood broom stick and touch it against the engine block then put your ear to the other end of the stick... you can listen inside the engine. it's pretty cool if you have never done this... you can then move from one cylinder to another trying to locate the noise.

Caution: be very careful with the stick that you dont go near the front of the engine belts/fan.
Well it will not happen at idle even if I rev the engine while in neutral. Only under load (so basically driving)... Also I thought the Silicon was an 07 issue not 08?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fast lane
Well it will not happen at idle even if I rev the engine while in neutral. Only under load (so basically driving)... Also I thought the Silicon was an 07 issue not 08?
silicone TSB is for 07, but it doesn't mean you couldn't have it... That's the exact symptom of the Silicon: Only happens under load and during medium acceleration or greater. it's a consistent tick tick tick tick, it actually sounds mechanical, like a switch.

The key is to make an effort to locate where it's coming from... if it sounds like it's coming from inside the dash behind the steering wheel, then I bet you have silicone in the heater even though you have a 2008.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the silicone problem (and had it fixed), but mine would only do it at high rpms (6k and above).

It didn't matter if I held first gear (in DS mode) or went above 6k at WOT. It would make the noise.