G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First snow driving experience not good...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G35er_in_TO
Not following? Sorry - what do you mean?
A light snowfall..

Supposed to get a mess of weather overnight...snow, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain and then back to snow for Monday.

That will be a good test for your snows!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ugly Duckling????

Originally Posted by sunmind
I didn't particularly want the G35 but got stuck with it...now I love the thing, even though I believe it's an "ugly duckling"
You've got to be the only G35 owner who thinks this car is ugly...I think she's gorgeous!! Out of curiosity, what's your idea of a beautiful car?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Second impression: not as bad as I thought...

Well, mother nature gave me a second chance at winter driving this weekend as the big Midwest snow/ice storm rolled through Michigan. Around 2am Sunday, after the sleet stopped, I shovelled the 1/4 inch of ice with an inch of wet snow underneath off of my driveway and took my 6MT out for another try at the inclined road I mentioned in the first post of this thread. And... I made it. I did it a second time to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and I was successful again. With a little rear wheel spin, but not much. Sunday I turned VDC off before I started up the road, but that was the only change I made; same tires, same tire pressures, no extra weight in the rear. Aside from taking the incline, I also felt a lot more confident about the rest of my drive around the neighborhood. I never exceeded 20mph, but overall I felt the LM-25s were doing a good job keeping me pointed in the right direction, with hardly any understeer. And I had to jam on the brakes pretty hard to get ABS to kick in.

I think road conditions had a lot to do with my different driving experience the second time around. Friday morning I faced snow with ice underneath and couldn't get up the incline. Sunday it was ice with snow underneath and the Blizzaks did a much better job. By Sunday I had also gotten used to power oversteer being not so big a deal with RWD. Overall I think my LM-25 performance winters will get me through the winter, but we'll see what happens next time there's ice under the snow. Studless winters are probably a lot better with ice than performance winters.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
^^^^good to hear that you had a better experience with your winter tires

Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM
I have the option of working from home during inclement weather...so G35S it was.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by fecurtis
I have the option of working from home during inclement weather...so G35S it was.
That is an excellent option to have .

Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
The way I look at it is even if you just get rain, it is way smarter to get the X. All wheel drive is superior to RWD or FWD in any condition. And since 07 model year nothing important is lost by picking the X. I do get snow and I drive around with my Toyo Garrit KX like it is a dry summer road.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Sideshow7208
With a little rear wheel spin, but not much. Sunday I turned VDC off before I started up the road, but that was the only change I made; same tires, same tire pressures, no extra weight in the rear. Aside from taking the incline, I also felt a lot more confident about the rest of my drive around the neighborhood. I never exceeded 20mph.....
Congrats!
I'm glad you did not exceed 20mph.

I think anyone is CRAZY for turning off their VDC in these cars.....
unless you are prepared to slide off the road.
No matter how "good" you are, it will happen sooner or later.

Yes, I've been sliding non-VDC equipped sports cars around for years.
But, they were far less expensive than these new cars and I can admit I'm becoming a bit of a puss as I get older.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 AM
I live in centeral Ontario canada north of toronto,tons of snows. I just did a 600 mile road trip today and with my 07 X I was driving 90mph an hour with snow mode on even with it off the car feels the same. snow covered road. The car is rock solid, that is with stock goodyears rsa, The only problem with stock is you are not stoping. But I never had a problem the whole way. I was the only one in the fast lane on 401 canada and I75us

As for rear wheel drive, never would but it for where I live. I wish I had the bigger brakes of the S and rims, and hate how they offered sport pack on the x for the 08 year. But you get summer tires not all seasons so winter tires are a must. ANd 18 inche rims and winters is not as good as 17s.

I plan on picking up some dunlops though for winter.

HOWEVER, IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE A G35 AS A REGULAR WINTER DRIVER, YOU HAVE TO SCARIFIC ALL SPORT OPTIONS OVER ALL WHEEL DRIVE. IT IS UN REAL HOW SAFE, AND SOLID AND FUN AND ALL WHEEL DRIVE IS IN WINTER. YOU HAVE AS MUCH SECURITY AS SOMEONE DRIVING A TAHOE. AND YOU REALLY KNOW WHEN THE BACK WHEELS HAVE NO TACTION AND THE FRONTS ARE WHAT ARE DRIVING THE CAR.

I DO EASY 0-60 SPRINTS IN 7 ISH SECONDS WITH MY X, ONE TOTALY SNOW COVERED ROADS, IT REALLY AMAZING HAVING YOU FOOT DOOWN ALL THE WAY CAURSE YOU CAN TELL THE CAR TO TAKING OVER. I LITTERALLY CAN FEEL ALL FOUR WHEELS SPINNING JUST TO THE POINT OF SLIP, AND THE CAR HAS A HYDRO PLAN FEEL, MOST PASSANGERS CANT HANDEL IT AND THINK IT IS CRAZY, BUT REALLY THE CAR IS SOLID.

PS. i SMOKED UP BEFORE WRITING THIS, THAT IS WHY IT IS SOO LONG. I NEED A BEER.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by TT C6
I think anyone is CRAZY for turning off their VDC in these cars.....
unless you are prepared to slide off the road.
No matter how "good" you are, it will happen sooner or later.
I should clarify: I turned off VDC just before hitting the inclide to improve my odds of making it up, then turned it back on as soon as the road flattened out. I agree that VDC should be left on in normal situations, but after my first experience with the ice I decided I wanted to get at least something from my drive wheels, even if they spun a bit, rather than have VDC cut all my power while I slowed to a halt.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by caveman666
The way I look at it is even if you just get rain, it is way smarter to get the X. All wheel drive is superior to RWD or FWD in any condition. And since 07 model year nothing important is lost by picking the X. I do get snow and I drive around with my Toyo Garrit KX like it is a dry summer road.
CaveMan is right on!!!! Miinneapolis area has been getting LOTS of snow lately with more to come!!! I took my car out on all the UNplowed township roads and had a blast!! playing around in town, and big empty parking lots, where i could just throw the car in a nice sideways slides VDC was off, cause car was faster that way. Have been waiting for weather like this since i got the car in April. can't wait to join the Audi ice racers this winter on lake cynthia, gonna show em what a G35x can do....

Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by JoryWLU
I live in centeral Ontario canada north of toronto,tons of snows. I just did a 600 mile road trip today and with my 07 X I was driving 90mph an hour with snow mode on even with it off the car feels the same. snow covered road. The car is rock solid, that is with stock goodyears rsa, The only problem with stock is you are not stoping. But I never had a problem the whole way. I was the only one in the fast lane on 401 canada and I75us
It feels the same because snow mode isn't engaged at 90mph. It shuts off at 12mph.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
It feels the same because snow mode isn't engaged at 90mph. It shuts off at 12mph.
Exactly .

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Snow at 90 miles an hour snow mode is still on, the is a 25/75 split front to rear, Below 12mph it is 50/50, Once snow mode is on your front wheels always have some sort of torque going to them. At least thats how they are in Canada.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by JoryWLU
Snow at 90 miles an hour snow mode is still on, the is a 25/75 split front to rear, Below 12mph it is 50/50, Once snow mode is on your front wheels always have some sort of torque going to them. At least thats how they are in Canada.
I really hate to tell you this but your source of info is wrong, and that is not how they are in Canada.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First snow driving experience not good...