G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First snow driving experience not good...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats how i keep seeing people say they are.. we should write to infiniti to ask once and for all. I thought it was 50/50 all the way but i read reviews etc which say otherwise..

Old 12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
thats how i keep seeing people say they are.. we should write to infiniti to ask once and for all. I thought it was 50/50 all the way but i read reviews etc which say otherwise..
from Infiniti:
The key to the performance of the new all-wheel drive G35 is its state-of-the-art ATTESA E-TS™ all-wheel drive system, which is arguably one of the most advanced on-pavement all-wheel drive systems in the world.

The ATTESA E-TS, which stands for Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split, utilizes an electro-magnetic clutch control design (in contrast to typical oil pressure clutch control) to provide quicker response, lighter weight (approximately 22 pounds lighter than a similar oil pressure clutch control design with center differential) and true variable torque distribution, ranging from 50:50 up to 0:100 percent front-to-rear ratio (versus fixed ratio competitive systems).

Some of the G35 system's benefits over front-wheel drive-based AWD systems with traditional center differentials include:

Faster torque distribution control response to changes in road conditions
Ability to adjust torque without the onset of wheel spin allows G35 to uniquely optimize the torque distribution based on driving conditions
Better base performance due to rear-wheel drive base layout (versus front-wheel drive based AWD layouts)
Better standing start performance on snow through use of Snow-Mode switch

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.
"Only the all-wheel drive G35 feels like a rear-wheel drive performance sedan, giving the drivers in Northern climates all-season driving enjoyment," said Igo.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 AM
There we go, so snow mode is slow mode LOL

Old 12-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
I never understood why people would buy RWD car in the colder climate. Sorry did not mean to bash. The reason I have X because of the weather and road condition we have is simular to yours. Anyways don't turned the VDC off. That helps a lot to keep your traction under controll.

TG
dude, rwd is so much more fun on snow than awd lol

Old 12-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
dude, rwd is so much more fun on snow than awd lol
easy for you to say when you are in San Diego LOL lets see.. san diego... theres this thai place, not bad, sorta fusion... with the patio... its either on hillcrest or university at fourth ave.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in St. Paul minnesota. On saturday we got around 4 or 5 inches of snow. Yesterday we got another 4 or so inches of snow.
Sunday, I went out and tooled around in my G35S (RWD) with pilot alpin 2 PA2 tires and had a blast. Didn't get stuck. Drove around primarily with VDC turned off because it made it alot easier to pull through the drifts at intersections.

Yesterday, on the way home from work in the thick of the snowfall, I had VDC off most of the time, and I was pulling away from most cars in traffic pretty easily.

The only thing that worries me is drifts higher than the G's ground clearance. In that scenario, AWD isn't going to be much help.

AWD is nice, but it's hardly a necessity, and with the '07s, you lose out on paddle shifters . With the '08, the sport package on the G35X is a nice option though.

A number of years ago, a car magazine did tire reviews in snow. The general consensus came out (from best to worst):
AWD with snows
FWD with snows
RWD with snows
AWD with all season
FWD with all season
RWD with all season
AWD with summers
FWD with summers
RWD with summers

Basically, the type of tire makes far more difference than the drive wheel under most driving conditions. Add to the fact that most people with AWD don't bother swapping summer and winter tires, my car probably handles better than the average AWD out there in the winter . One of my co-workers did a winter driving course last year with his '05 coupe. The course was on a frozen lake, and sponsored by the Audi quattro club. His was the only RWD, non-audi quattro vehicle) and in overall runs, he finished smack in the middle of the pack. Not bad for an RWD vehicle in a pack of AWD vehicles.

Personally, my opinion is that everyone should be forced to drive RWD for their first car in the snow. either you'll get in so many accidents you'll quit driving, or you'll actually learn to understand how a car works. I've seen a number of AWD SUV drivers freak out when their car fishtails and have no idea what to do, but for us RWD drivers, fishtailing is one of the first things we learn to control and not freak out over. About the only time I get worried is when my rear end is sideways with my front end .

Wow. This got to be a long post.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I don't know if this has been stated yet, but you really should drive the car around with new tires in non-snow conditions. You need burn off that layer of mold release compound from the tread of the tire. That usually takes about 100 to 200 miles to fully burn off. The mold release compound will make a tire feel greasy and slippery on all types of surfaces.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:21 PM
First snow with the G35S yesterday, WS50 Blizzacks. No problems. A little wheel spin here and there but that's no different with a fwd vehicle. Snow tires and cautious driving FTW!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I would agree with that ranking 100%. People tend to think that just because they have AWD (on AS tires) that they are invincible. I've stated numerous times that I would MUCH rather have my G35S with my WS50 Blizzaks than a G35x with AS tires. It is ALL about the tires people.

Originally Posted by dopey
I live in St. Paul minnesota. On saturday we got around 4 or 5 inches of snow. Yesterday we got another 4 or so inches of snow.
Sunday, I went out and tooled around in my G35S (RWD) with pilot alpin 2 PA2 tires and had a blast. Didn't get stuck. Drove around primarily with VDC turned off because it made it alot easier to pull through the drifts at intersections.

Yesterday, on the way home from work in the thick of the snowfall, I had VDC off most of the time, and I was pulling away from most cars in traffic pretty easily.

The only thing that worries me is drifts higher than the G's ground clearance. In that scenario, AWD isn't going to be much help.

AWD is nice, but it's hardly a necessity, and with the '07s, you lose out on paddle shifters . With the '08, the sport package on the G35X is a nice option though.

A number of years ago, a car magazine did tire reviews in snow. The general consensus came out (from best to worst):
AWD with snows
FWD with snows
RWD with snows
AWD with all season
FWD with all season
RWD with all season
AWD with summers
FWD with summers
RWD with summers

Basically, the type of tire makes far more difference than the drive wheel under most driving conditions. Add to the fact that most people with AWD don't bother swapping summer and winter tires, my car probably handles better than the average AWD out there in the winter . One of my co-workers did a winter driving course last year with his '05 coupe. The course was on a frozen lake, and sponsored by the Audi quattro club. His was the only RWD, non-audi quattro vehicle) and in overall runs, he finished smack in the middle of the pack. Not bad for an RWD vehicle in a pack of AWD vehicles.

Personally, my opinion is that everyone should be forced to drive RWD for their first car in the snow. either you'll get in so many accidents you'll quit driving, or you'll actually learn to understand how a car works. I've seen a number of AWD SUV drivers freak out when their car fishtails and have no idea what to do, but for us RWD drivers, fishtailing is one of the first things we learn to control and not freak out over. About the only time I get worried is when my rear end is sideways with my front end .

Wow. This got to be a long post.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:38 PM
^+1. We just had our first significant snowfall this week. I drove my RWD with Blizzaks through the snow without any problems...My wife's RX300 with all-seasons, on the other hand, was slipping enough to scare her...

Old 12-06-2007, 03:43 PM
gao
this must be the 20th thread on this subject. yes, absolutely its all about the tires foremost, THEN power to the wheel with the most grip. X has 4 of those vs 2. anyone considering the X, its probably all about not having to switch tires if possible and also a big fact that having 4 wheels to find grip out of a "stuck" situation. the snow mode helps it a lot too.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by gao
this must be the 20th thread on this subject.
'Tis the season....

Old 12-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Most fun I ever had in the snow was driving a Corvair Spyder around Philly. RWD, rear engine and four on the floor.

Other than that the car was a death trap.