G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow in Maryland this past week put about 2 inches on the ground, and I took the G out in Bridgestone Potenzas, hahaha. That was a good time...sliding through wide turns. If you know what you're doing, it's like rally racing!

Old 12-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by csdstudio
I drive too much anyway, 2500/month, my cars always lose value so fast.
Don't know about you, but I bought my car to drive it, not look at it!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 PM
RCK
Put Goodyear F1 ultra performance all seasons on my Sport 6MT in November. Excellent in cold and especially in rain. So far only light snow and icing here in NYC metro area. Tires have been very well behaved.

I'm hoping to get away with the all seasons instead of going to a winter set up, probably 17" DunlopM3s on a reasonably priced wheel if needed.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by RCK
Put Goodyear F1 ultra performance all seasons on my Sport 6MT in November. Excellent in cold and especially in rain. So far only light snow and icing here in NYC metro area. Tires have been very well behaved.

I'm hoping to get away with the all seasons instead of going to a winter set up, probably 17" DunlopM3s on a reasonably priced wheel if needed.
Yeah I have a friend whos a manager at Goodyear, so he hooks me up. I'll be pricing Goodyear F1 tires when I see him in a couple of weeks.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tagheuer
+1

I am an attorney, and have heard of cases in which the driver using summer only tires in snow, who causes an accident, can bear more responsibility and be found to be negligent, for using improper equipment and endangering others.

This is dangerous and not smart. Ok if you want to put yourself at risk, but you shouldn't put others at risk. Be careful out there, summer tires really suck in snow, for at least two reasons. The rubber compound gets really hard at temperatures below 40 degrees, and the tread pattern sucks for ice, snow and slush.
Nowhere at Bridgestone's site do I see these tires are for summer only. TireRack says they are, but of course they have their sales pitch and profit from this kind of bull$hit. In order for a tire to be the cause for blame, they would have to be worn, even alleged All Season tires slip and slide, and ride firmer in cold weather.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Nowhere at Bridgestone's site do I see these tires are for summer only. TireRack says they are, but of course they have their sales pitch and profit from this kind of bull$hit. In order for a tire to be the cause for blame, they would have to be worn, even alleged All Season tires slip and slide, and ride firmer in cold weather.
Tom perhaps he is going by the Infiniti literature.
I scanned this directly from the 07 G Sedan brochure.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Wayne, maybe, I know Infiniti refers to the tires as summer, but nowhere does it read "summer only". These tires can't be much different from the Goodyear Eagles I had on my '00 Mustang GT as far as cold and snow go, those were those Z rated tires.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM
all season tires

Just bit the bullet and put on Some Michelin Pilot Sport AS (235/50/18, 255/4518). The OE Potenzas were outstanding dry weather performance tires. But they were flat out exciting last year when they were new whenever it was very cold and snowy, and were unacceptably dangerous last week in our half inch of snow. I had these tires on my 03 (non sport) and they ware a big step up over the OE Touranzas. I don't track the car, so these ought to be more than adequate in the dry and outstanding in the rain-- so if they are not quite up to the Potenzas in the summer, I'll survive. And they sure fill out the wheel wells!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckg35
Just bit the bullet and put on Some Michelin Pilot Sport AS (235/50/18, 255/4518). The OE Potenzas were outstanding dry weather performance tires. But they were flat out exciting last year when they were new whenever it was very cold and snowy, and were unacceptably dangerous last week in our half inch of snow. I had these tires on my 03 (non sport) and they ware a big step up over the OE Touranzas. I don't track the car, so these ought to be more than adequate in the dry and outstanding in the rain-- so if they are not quite up to the Potenzas in the summer, I'll survive. And they sure fill out the wheel wells!
I am sure you will love them. I run the PS A/S tires on my summer rims and really like them .

Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
yeah tires are very important... i always tell customerse (even though they dont listen) -- summer tires =wearing bowling shoes and sliding on the lanes
winter tires = walking on the bowling lanes you get grip

most people know or have bowled in their life

Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by st1sj
no issues with the goodyear eagle ultra grip gw3. a little sliding in slush/ice roads, otherwise, the tires were good.
+1 with the ultra grips. Got home in our latest Boston snowstorm on Thursday no problem, cruising 45-50 with several in. snow on the highways.

For anyone questioning summer tires on snow, don't do it. If you have to stop (and you will, because you are driving a car), you cannot. When you hit an upward incline at a stop light, YOU WILL GO NOWHERE EXCEPT BACKWARDS until the tow truck pulls you away. This I have just seen. Spend the money on the snow tires, not tows or insurance surcharge when you cause an accident.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ez-g
+1 with the ultra grips. Got home in our latest Boston snowstorm on Thursday no problem, cruising 45-50 with several in. snow on the highways.

For anyone questioning summer tires on snow, don't do it. If you have to stop (and you will, because you are driving a car), you cannot. When you hit an upward incline at a stop light, YOU WILL GO NOWHERE EXCEPT BACKWARDS until the tow truck pulls you away. This I have just seen. Spend the money on the snow tires, not tows or insurance surcharge when you cause an accident.
+1... its sad even the most experienced drivers will be ignorant and not change them out

Old 12-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
RE050As?

The Potenza RE050A is a Max Performance Summer tire designed to complement the performance of sports cars, sports coupes and sport sedans. While the Potenza RE050 is used as Original Equipment on the supercharged Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG sedan, a Potenza RE050A Scuderia version is used on the 12-cylinder Enzo Ferrari supercar, and a Run Flat version is used on the BMW Z4 sports cars and 5-Series sedans. The Potenza RE050A was developed to provide good traction along with responsive and predictable dry and wet road handling. It is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Wayne, maybe, I know Infiniti refers to the tires as summer, but nowhere does it read "summer only". These tires can't be much different from the Goodyear Eagles I had on my '00 Mustang GT as far as cold and snow go, those were those Z rated tires.
Dude, you are really crazy. The non-sport G comes with all seasons. The sport comes with SUMMER ONLY TIRES, they are not intended to be driven in cold, snow, ice, PERIOD, as another poster noted. The Z rating has to do with speed, not snow/ice suitability. You can have a Z rated snow tire, and a Z rated summer only tire.

Please don't try to drive on your summer only tires in the winter, you are putting yourself and others in danger.

As another poster noted, straight from the manufacturer:

The Potenza RE050A is a Max Performance Summer tire designed to complement the performance of sports cars, sports coupes and sport sedans. While the Potenza RE050 is used as Original Equipment on the supercharged Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG sedan, a Potenza RE050A Scuderia version is used on the 12-cylinder Enzo Ferrari supercar, and a Run Flat version is used on the BMW Z4 sports cars and 5-Series sedans. The Potenza RE050A was developed to provide good traction along with responsive and predictable dry and wet road handling. It is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by tagheuer
Dude, you are really crazy. The non-sport G comes with all seasons. The sport comes with SUMMER ONLY TIRES, they are not intended to be driven in cold, snow, ice, PERIOD, as another poster noted. The Z rating has to do with speed, not snow/ice suitability. You can have a Z rated snow tire, and a Z rated summer only tire.

Please don't try to drive on your summer only tires in the winter, you are putting yourself and others in danger.

As another poster noted, straight from the manufacturer: BS!

Tire Rack is in the business of making money, that's their line, nowhere at Bridgestone does it say that. That is not from the manufacturer!

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Category: Performance
Original equipment on many high-performance vehicles, the Potenza RE050 is built for the pleasure of driving. This tire comes loaded with race-proven technology: UNI-T for outstanding wet and dry traction, a tread pattern that promotes rapid water evacuation, variable dimensions in the tread blocks, and the smoother shape to reduce road noise. An asymmetrical pattern in the RE050A tread increases surface contact to enhance acceleration and cornering. Put this Potenza through its paces and discover what ultra-high performance really means.

Just saying.....................Personally, driving on any kind of tire in snow, puts you and others at risk. Winter tires help with traction, not stopping.

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 12-15-2007 at 11:22 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...