G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Just saying.....................Personally, driving on any kind of tire in snow, puts you and others at risk. Winter tires help with traction, not stopping.
WHOA THERE!!! You honestly think that snows don't help with stopping? Sorry, but I REALLY have to disagree with you emphatically on that one. Having driven on snows and all seasons in Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec I know that it is FACT that snows help dramatically in reducing stopping distances. Have you ever driven a 240SX with the OEM all seasons and then swapped to snows in a snow belt area? Snows probably cut the distance by at least 25%, maybe more.

Check out the link:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...intertires.htm

Tire Rack may be profit oriented but the OEM tires on the Sport G just don't cut it. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and spend the $800 for saftety's sake; you just might save the G one day when it stops quicker as you see the rear end of that transport trailer looming in your windshield.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Rack is in the business of making money, that's their line, nowhere at Bridgestone does it say that. That is not from the manufacturer!

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Category: Performance
Original equipment on many high-performance vehicles, the Potenza RE050 is built for the pleasure of driving. This tire comes loaded with race-proven technology: UNI-T for outstanding wet and dry traction, a tread pattern that promotes rapid water evacuation, variable dimensions in the tread blocks, and the smoother shape to reduce road noise. An asymmetrical pattern in the RE050A tread increases surface contact to enhance acceleration and cornering. Put this Potenza through its paces and discover what ultra-high performance really means.

Just saying.....................Personally, driving on any kind of tire in snow, puts you and others at risk. Winter tires help with traction, not stopping.

really, no offence, if you do not live in a really snowy area, keep comments to yourself, you are just putting your 2cents out there and confusing people who are looking for some solid info. I am just concerned people will be mislead by your baseless comments. Thanks

Old 12-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Tire Rack is in the business of making money, that's their line, nowhere at Bridgestone does it say that. That is not from the manufacturer!

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Category: Performance
Original equipment on many high-performance vehicles, the Potenza RE050 is built for the pleasure of driving. This tire comes loaded with race-proven technology: UNI-T for outstanding wet and dry traction, a tread pattern that promotes rapid water evacuation, variable dimensions in the tread blocks, and the smoother shape to reduce road noise. An asymmetrical pattern in the RE050A tread increases surface contact to enhance acceleration and cornering. Put this Potenza through its paces and discover what ultra-high performance really means.
Winter tires help with traction, not stopping.
With all my respect I have to disagree with you. Winter tires helps with traction and traction needed when you are braking. So in that case helps when you brake. Believe us we experience this here in Canada or norther states a lot. I have 4 months crapy weather here a year.

Also you are right about wet traction and dry traction on those tires. But summer and winter tires are made from different compounds to handle the temperature differences. Summer tire in cold temperature can be dangerous even with dry road. Due to the temperature. If you mix it with snow you are risking your life and others on the road.

Please everybody get the tire what suits the weather condition the area you drive!

Here if you are in an accident with your car and they see you have a summer tire at winter time you can get charged.

I did not mean to bash. These are the facts. Please don't take it in the wrong way.

TG

Old 12-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
really, no offence, if you do not live in a really snowy area, keep comments to yourself, you are just putting your 2cents out there and confusing people who are looking for some solid info. I am just concerned people will be mislead by your baseless comments. Thanks
What makes you think we don't get snow here? I have been driving in snow since I learned to drive! Fine, I'll stay away...................

Old 12-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234

Here if you are in an accident with your car and they see you have a summer tire at winter time you can get charged.

I did not mean to bash. These are the facts. Please don't take it in the wrong way.

TG
Don't worry, it's not really bashing. I actually worry more about the other drivers on the road in snow than I do myself anyway. We don't get the amount of snow you guys do, well, usually anyway, so many drivers have no clue how to drive in it here, doesn't matter what tires they run!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I hear ya. I check my mirror every time I have to hi the brake a bit harder. Some people just following you too close. They don't realize how stupid that is. Also I a not worry about the snow. The ice and the freezing rain is the killer one.

TG

Thanks you did not take it personally.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:51 PM
ABQ_G35's initial comments have a point to them. Most tire manufacturer's don't point out that summer performance tires are "Summer" tires. Many of them just refer to them as performance tires. There are alot of people out there who don't have a clue what tire tread patterns should look like, don't want to research what tire compounds are used, thus it can be somewhat confusing to the average buyer.

Now, the points further down the road (that snow tires don't make a difference in stopping, and that tirerack is in the business of selling tires implying that for this reason they overstate the useless of performance summer tires in the snow) those are really really far off the mark, but other people have countered those comments already.

However, the initial point still stands, and is a good one, it's not entirely obvious to alot of people that summer tires aren't safe in the snow. I had a co-worker who's really intelligent buy an S4 with summer tires. It didn't occur to him that the summer tires are going to suck in the snow, even with AWD and no one at the dealership told him when he bought the car.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Premier Member

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Cut him some slack. I took him to say that when you lose control, no tire is going to help you, you just slide till you stop. A winter tire is going to help for as long as you maintain control and traction.

Even four wheel drive won't help you in a skid.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok, so we have some real misinformation being spread here.

Just to confirm:

1. Summer tires are not supposed to be used in snow, ice and cold temperatures (generally below 45 degrees)

2. Winter tires (any any tires for that matter greatly affect traction (i.e. acceleration) AND stopping. Winter tires will help stop the vehicle faster, but nothing will prevent a skid/slide on ice, etc.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by tagheuer
Ok, so we have some real misinformation being spread here.

Just to confirm:

1. Summer tires are not supposed to be used in snow, ice and cold temperatures (generally below 45 degrees)

2. Winter tires (any any tires for that matter greatly affect traction (i.e. acceleration) AND stopping. Winter tires will help stop the vehicle faster, but nothing will prevent a skid/slide on ice, etc.
...Ahhhhhh, but there we are wrong. Sorry but if you throw some chains on your wheels or maybe some studs on the tires you can in fact reduce your chances of sliding on ice and allow for some actual traction. Granted, it's a pain in the a#@, and quite noisy but if you live in the Arctic Circle (North or South) then you will benefit greatly. Of course, I doubt you'll find a G in either location (maybe Greenland?), but these techniques should work.

I don't speak from experience, simply from reading a few too many car and skiing magazines. AND, I think we may be getting to the point where the horse is dead (or close to) and so we should stop flogging.

In any case, you have two good points and a simple synopsis of facts regarding tires.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by stardust
That has got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.
No need to get nasty about it!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
No need to get nasty about it!
+1, I agree, that was uncalled for

Old 12-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
^ +2. There is no need to be nasty at all. Time for everyone to just

Speaking of winter though, we got a major nor easter heading our way later today that is supposed to dump a foot of snow followed by ice pellets and rain. Yuck!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 AM
storm prevention

because I got the all season tires the storm headed to DC area this weekend turned to rain

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...