G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...

A very testy G35....it was quite exciting driving to work this morning.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same finding here...

I drove my G35S with summer tires in about an inch of snow. It was slow-going but ok. I got caught in a snowstorm, which if I had known it was going to snow would have driven my winter car.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no issues with the goodyear eagle ultra grip gw3. a little sliding in slush/ice roads, otherwise, the tires were good.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fecurtis
A very testy G35....it was quite exciting driving to work this morning.
Don't do that too often. Take it from someone who has driven a rear wheel car with summer tires in snow, it's dangerous. I got caught in the snow once when I had my 350Z and it was down right scary. The car had next to no grip. At the least get some winter tires (if you do not want to spend on new wheels).

Old 12-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I decided to take mine out today with my 20's and I had to turn back to get my daily driver. No snow on the roads, but it was icy. Hopefully my 17" winter package will arrive next week.

Drive carefully!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFreak
I decided to take mine out today with my 20's and I had to turn back to get my daily driver. No snow on the roads, but it was icy. Hopefully my 17" winter package will arrive next week.

Drive carefully!
Ouch, dread the thought , I also would not want to get salt on those sweet rims.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM
tried this on my coupe with 19's and summer tires...i guess you can call it fun. After the car sat for about 2 hours it was done though, couldnt move it till the next morning lol.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Please dont drive too often with your summer tires - its not only bad for you its bad for those around you.

No issues here the last couple days. Love the X in the winter...

Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Please dont drive too often with your summer tires - its not only bad for you its bad for those around you.

No issues here the last couple days. Love the X in the winter...
+1

I am an attorney, and have heard of cases in which the driver using summer only tires in snow, who causes an accident, can bear more responsibility and be found to be negligent, for using improper equipment and endangering others.

This is dangerous and not smart. Ok if you want to put yourself at risk, but you shouldn't put others at risk. Be careful out there, summer tires really suck in snow, for at least two reasons. The rubber compound gets really hard at temperatures below 40 degrees, and the tread pattern sucks for ice, snow and slush.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by tagheuer
+1

I am an attorney, and have heard of cases in which the driver using summer only tires in snow, who causes an accident, can bear more responsibility and be found to be negligent, for using improper equipment and endangering others.

This is dangerous and not smart. Ok if you want to put yourself at risk, but you shouldn't put others at risk. Be careful out there, summer tires really suck in snow, for at least two reasons. The rubber compound gets really hard at temperatures below 40 degrees, and the tread pattern sucks for ice, snow and slush.
Yes I understand this. I guess the original post made it seem like I drove 12 miles in the snow and ice and going crazy, which was not the case. I typically never drive in the snow. The only roads that weren't clear during my drive to work that morning was the short road (100 ft total length) that leads to my driveway that was never plowed, all of the other roads I use are main roads and were clear. Should the main roads have been in that condition, I simply wouldn't of gone to work (in my scope of work, I'm capable of working from home during inclement weather, otherwise I'd of bit the bullet and just gotten a G35X instead of the Sport, plus we don't see much snow around here).

I plan on purchasing all season tires soon but I figure once I purchase them, I'd most likely never use the stock summer tires again. I figured I'd get the most out of them before I buy the all season. In the past, I would hardly ever drive in the snow, so I figure I'd try to use up the tread life in the summer tires. Should this be a particular snowy winter, then I may just have to ditch them early and purchase the all season tires.

Never knew that you could be at fault for having "improper equipment" by not using the proper tires, thats good to know. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Unfortunately its not just the snow and ice - its the cold weather that freezes the compound in your summer tires. It got down to @ 15* F here last night which makes those summer tires like hockey pucks.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Unfortunately its not just the snow and ice - its the cold weather that freezes the compound in your summer tires. It got down to @ 15* F here last night which makes those summer tires like hockey pucks.
Welp, looks like I'll be buying all season tires next week. Thanks for all the input guys. I suppose I'll keep the summer tires and just mount them back on in the summer months.

I appreciate everyones concern and input. Thanks again.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
If it makes you feel any better I did the same thing the first year I had my old 350z until someone explained to me the difference. Unfortunately this was after I pitched it into a 360 spin on a beltway offramp.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 PM
The wife and I started carpooling so I decided not to get winter tires and packed the G up nice and tight in the garage. I'll start it every other day and drive it around the block when the roads are dry here and there. I drive too much anyway, 2500/month, my cars always lose value so fast. I had to repaint my old coupes bumper every spring from all the winter road rash up here. Turns your bumper into a sanding block. MNDOT uses sand over salt whenever possible to save a few bucks.

Last edited by csdstudio; 12-07-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Which all-seasons are you planning to get? Just curious.

Originally Posted by fecurtis
Welp, looks like I'll be buying all season tires next week. Thanks for all the input guys. I suppose I'll keep the summer tires and just mount them back on in the summer months.

I appreciate everyones concern and input. Thanks again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...