G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's easy, really. Tires are rated by the manufacturer, look on the sidewall:

M+S = All season (mud & snow). But excelling in neither.

Mountain/snowflake symbol = winter/snow tires.

If you see neither, don't drive it in snow.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ez-g

Excellent tip

Old 12-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
^ +2. There is no need to be nasty at all. Time for everyone to just

Speaking of winter though, we got a major nor easter heading our way later today that is supposed to dump a foot of snow followed by ice pellets and rain. Yuck!
Oh man, yuck is right! I was in Philly in '05 when it got hit by a noreaster!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by ez-g

You and I know that.
I got $50 bucks that if I ask 10 random people on the street, over half of them will have no clue what I'm talking about, or won't know that a performance tire without any of those ratings will be dangerous to drive on in freezing weather with or without snow and ice.

I'm not saying ignorance is a good thing, but most people have no idea how a car works other than key, accelerator, brake, shift ****, steering wheel, gas fill up. They shouldn't necessarily need to know how a car works either. Unfortunately, tires are one of those areas that just aren't obvious to an average user and there isn't very much in terms of manufacturer information other than pointing to DOT agreed terms and labels, and in the case of my S4 buddy, even the sales guy at the dealer either doesn't care, or doesn't know half the time.

Last edited by dopey; 12-16-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by dopey
You and I know that.
I got $50 bucks that if I ask 10 random people on the street, over half of them will have no clue what I'm talking about, or won't know that a performance tire without any of those ratings will be dangerous to drive on in freezing weather with or without snow and ice.

I'm not saying ignorance is a good thing, but most people have no idea how a car works other than key, accelerator, brake, shift ****, steering wheel, gas fill up. They shouldn't necessarily need to know how a car works either. Unfortunately, tires are one of those areas that just aren't obvious to an average user and there isn't very much in terms of manufacturer information other than pointing to DOT agreed terms and labels, and in the case of my S4 buddy, even the sales guy at the dealer either doesn't care, or doesn't know half the time.
That's very true. Almost everyone I know (including an owner of a BMW 5-series) can't understand why I need to get new or different tires on a new car. Usually most cars come with all-seasons now and people just drive on those year-round. There was a guy who recently wrote into the Wall Street Journal's auto column who just got a new RWD Lexus GS with summer tires asking if he should get winter tires.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chuckg35
because I got the all season tires the storm headed to DC area this weekend turned to rain
Not me. I received a foot snow.

TG

Old 12-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by robertr
That's very true. Almost everyone I know (including an owner of a BMW 5-series) can't understand why I need to get new or different tires on a new car. Usually most cars come with all-seasons now and people just drive on those year-round. There was a guy who recently wrote into the Wall Street Journal's auto column who just got a new RWD Lexus GS with summer tires asking if he should get winter tires.
See I understand if you live in CAli or Florida but when you live in the snowbelt? What you can see from your parents or neighbur or friends. I asked my son what he thinks about the tires. He said you need good tires to be able to go thru winter. I asked him if he remember what kind of tires I've got in summer time. He remembered it was all season. I explained it to him why you need all seoson or winter tire here. He'll remember. I've done my part.

TG

Old 12-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234
See I understand if you live in CAli or Florida but when you live in the snowbelt? What you can see from your parents or neighbur or friends. I asked my son what he thinks about the tires. He said you need good tires to be able to go thru winter. I asked him if he remember what kind of tires I've got in summer time. He remembered it was all season. I explained it to him why you need all seoson or winter tire here. He'll remember. I've done my part.

TG
I live in the snow belt and I am one of 3 people I know that put on dedicated snow tires on my car in the winter. Otherwise, most people I know go to the local tire shop and literally ask for the cheapest tire they can get away with on their car, or they pay the dealer cost for OEM replacement.

It's quite scary and it's the only reason why I hate driving out in the snow. I'm not scared of myself, I'm scared of everyone else out there.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:37 PM
I hear ya. Scary scary.

TG

Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 AM
One of the consistent issues with people asking tire questions here is the huge disparity in where we all live. A large majority of posters seem to be from the snow belt and North, Canada and sometimes Northern Canada. People who ask a tire question from LA cant expect to receive comparable advice from someone who has no idea the kind of weather they deal with. If someone asks a question and we don't know where you're from, people in Canada will say "of course you need snow tires" where someone in Florida will ask for a picture representation of this thing called "snow".

While I'm at it I'll put in a plug for everyone to fill out their location in their profile. Times like these it helps answer questions and if you are answering someone's question it will help identify the kind of climate you drive in.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Manufacturers should make clear summer tires can't be driven in the winter. When I bought my IS300 back in Feb '01, I had to sign a release stating I'd get snow tires put on or can't hold the dealer or manufacturer responsible for any injury/accident once I leave the lot. Needless to say I had them put snow tires on before delivery. I believe there is a clause in your car insurance that states something to that matter. Mechanical negligence.

Last edited by csdstudio; 12-17-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by tg1234

Please everybody get the tire what suits the weather condition the area you drive!

TG
Dcmidnight I took your advise and got it done. It is there now.

Thanks

Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Yes I understand this. I guess the original post made it seem like I drove 12 miles in the snow and ice and going crazy, which was not the case. I typically never drive in the snow. The only roads that weren't clear during my drive to work that morning was the short road (100 ft total length) that leads to my driveway that was never plowed, all of the other roads I use are main roads and were clear. Should the main roads have been in that condition, I simply wouldn't of gone to work (in my scope of work, I'm capable of working from home during inclement weather, otherwise I'd of bit the bullet and just gotten a G35X instead of the Sport, plus we don't see much snow around here).

I plan on purchasing all season tires soon but I figure once I purchase them, I'd most likely never use the stock summer tires again. I figured I'd get the most out of them before I buy the all season. In the past, I would hardly ever drive in the snow, so I figure I'd try to use up the tread life in the summer tires. Should this be a particular snowy winter, then I may just have to ditch them early and purchase the all season tires.

Never knew that you could be at fault for having "improper equipment" by not using the proper tires, thats good to know. Thanks for the info.
You might want to put in that order for the all seasons now. I was like you and waited and now I can't get the all seasons until late January as they are on back order from Goodyear (Eagle F1 A/S). So as long as no more snow comes my way I will be Ok, if we do get snow, I will have to take the metro to/from work. Although I don't have any problems in the below 40 degrees that I have read about. The car has been fine down to the low 30's even on very worn OEM's and the first half of my commute every morning, when the tires are still coming up to temp, is over bridges and overpasses. They are fine as long as you don't act like an idiot. But they are usless in any amount of snow. Made that mistake once and won't try it again.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
IMHO, I'd not compromise the change to a/S all year in order to handle the snow during the winter.

I'd much rather find a set of cheap oem wheels and put a set of dedicated snow tires on and swap for a few weeks out of the year.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having a set of Dunlop M3's (snow tires) installed tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how they do. When I picked up my car last year it was the end of winter so I didn't bother then... but this year I won't make it through 5 months of winter without the snows.

The summer tires are terrible, I slide all over the place. it is definitly VERY dangerous to have summer on the freezing cold, reguardless of snow or ice. The snow/ice is 10 fold more dangerous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35S w/ summer tires + snow =...