G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Sport Package Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2008 | 09:50 AM
|
Sport Package Front Brakes

Wondering if anybody knows the difference in stopping distance of the standard brake package versus the sport brake package. Are the larger calipers really there for performance or just for looks?

Old 01-06-2008 | 10:54 AM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
IIRC there is a slight difference, in the <10 feet range. The larger rotors are mostly designed to dissipate heat so you get less brake fade.

Old 01-06-2008 | 11:19 AM
Premier Member
You get the stopping power from the tires. Both brake systems are capable of locking up the brakes the first time (if there is no ABS). I believe the ABS will modulate the same on both cars, leaving the stickier tires to stop the car better.

The bigger brakes get the advantage on REPEATED stops when brake fade comes into play (what G35now! said).

Old 01-06-2008 | 04:33 PM
what he said ^^

Also, technically, larger brakes mean more unsprung weight, reducing performance....

just to play devil's advocate

Old 01-06-2008 | 05:24 PM
why are you just asking about the front brakes? i'm pretty sure all the rotors are bigger, not just the front

Old 01-06-2008 | 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by CoppellStereo
why are you just asking about the front brakes? i'm pretty sure all the rotors are bigger, not just the front
Yep, both front and rear are bigger than the Journey, nice brakes BTW!

Old 01-07-2008 | 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
IIRC there is a slight difference, in the <10 feet range. The larger rotors are mostly designed to dissipate heat so you get less brake fade.
IMO 10 feet isn't "slight" (if there is a difference).

10 feet is the difference between stopping behind a car, and ending up in their passenger seat.

Old 01-07-2008 | 05:05 PM
In a 60 to zero stop, 10' isn't much.

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
what he said ^^

Also, technically, larger brakes mean more unsprung weight, reducing performance....

just to play devil's advocate
It's a trade-off, really. It all depends on what you are doing with the car. Most times (especially in LA and surrounding suburbs) you're just stuck in traffic, so the benefits of larger brake rotors and softer pads just amounts to more weight and more brake dust. If you track your G, then its colors come through...

Other than that, no use getting the S model if you never plan on really driving your G anyway, especially if it's to go get cherry cider from Trader Joe's or pick the kids up from school.

Speaking of tracking...I've taken my S out twice. And everybody looks at me like I'm crazy. WTF? It's a sport sedan, right? If you don't use it, why have it, right?

Maybe I am crazy...

Anyway...I don't suppose anyone has weighed the options of swapping the rotors/calipers with the G37s? Seems like that might be a real nice upgrade...

My $4.87

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:30 AM
In a 60 to zero test 10 feet is huge. Look at the cars that stop between 120 and 110 and 115 to 105. Thats a larger gap between cars there. For our sake our cars stop in the inside of 110(right)

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by Breetie
It's a trade-off, really. It all depends on what you are doing with the car. Most times (especially in LA and surrounding suburbs) you're just stuck in traffic, so the benefits of larger brake rotors and softer pads just amounts to more weight and more brake dust. If you track your G, then its colors come through...

Other than that, no use getting the S model if you never plan on really driving your G anyway, especially if it's to go get cherry cider from Trader Joe's or pick the kids up from school.

Speaking of tracking...I've taken my S out twice. And everybody looks at me like I'm crazy. WTF? It's a sport sedan, right? If you don't use it, why have it, right?

Maybe I am crazy...

Anyway...I don't suppose anyone has weighed the options of swapping the rotors/calipers with the G37s? Seems like that might be a real nice upgrade...

My $4.87
Maybe you are, LOL, I see zero brake dust on my '07 Sport, I doubt the pads are softer, Infiniti went through that with the early G35's, believe me, I had an '04, and the dust was unbelievable, and the brakes wore out quick!

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:39 AM
Anyway how much larger are the front and rear brake? I know the coupe had 14frt and 13.8 in the rear.

How do we match up?

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by court
Anyway how much larger are the front and rear brake? I know the coupe had 14frt and 13.8 in the rear.

How do we match up?
According to this Car & Driver article, Sports get 13" rotors x4, vs. 12.6 I believe for the standard G:

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...6mt-sedan.html

I may be mistaken on that number, however...it might be 12.8, but I know it's less than 13".

As for brake dust...again, it's a trade-off. Better performance is more dust, it's just a fact of increasing stopping power with softer pad material. Which, in essence, is perhaps 50% of the stopping capability of an automobile (the rest is tire). Larger rotors increase their mass, and therefore their ability to soak up heat before they become too hot for effective braking. AKA, brake fade.

I don't mind brake dust if it means I stop a few feet shorter every time...

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:23 PM
in stopping distance even 1ft is HUGE IMO. i mean we're stopping 60-0 in what 110 feet? something like that. The Nissan GTR does it in 104ft w/ 15in. rotors all around. now can you honestly say 10ft is not much? stopping anywhere under 105ft is world class braking. and even 110ft by the toyota supra mkiv was world class at the time. just like a member said earlier in the thread, that 10ft is the difference between staying behind them and crashing through.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Breetie
According to this Car & Driver article, Sports get 13" rotors x4, vs. 12.6 I believe for the standard G:

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...6mt-sedan.html

I may be mistaken on that number, however...it might be 12.8, but I know it's less than 13".

As for brake dust...again, it's a trade-off. Better performance is more dust, it's just a fact of increasing stopping power with softer pad material. Which, in essence, is perhaps 50% of the stopping capability of an automobile (the rest is tire). Larger rotors increase their mass, and therefore their ability to soak up heat before they become too hot for effective braking. AKA, brake fade.

I don't mind brake dust if it means I stop a few feet shorter every time...
Well, once again, no excessive brake dust on the '07 Sport brakes, Car and Driver test shows 70-0 braking for the G Sport at 160', look at an older G, or for that matter a BMW if you want to see excessive brake dust. Those original G35 brakes sucked!

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 01-09-2008 at 02:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Package Front Brakes