G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08
View Poll Results: 2007 Sedan Owners: Are you happy with your new ECM update?
TSB ITB07-028a applied, overall/very satisfied (no regrets, car feels better or the same, etc.)
36.84%
TSB ITB07-028a applied, NOT satified (car feels slower, want old ECM back)
10.53%
TSB ITB07-045 applied, overall/very satisfied (no regrets, car feels better or the same, etc.)
38.60%
TSB ITB07-045 applied, NOT satified (car feels slower, want old ECM back)
14.04%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

ECM Update Poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECM Update Poll

Since many have started getting their ECM updated with:

TSB ITB07-028a, Cruise Control Surges When Going Downhill
TSB ITB07-045, Cold Engine Start Issues

028a takes the ECM to Revision B, and 045 takes the ECM to Revision C

Both TSBs apply revision to the throttle mapping improving (or not ) the well-documented, neck-jerking throttle tip-in.

Last edited by timn99; 01-19-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
what year models does this apply to?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:30 PM
07s only. AT or 6MT.

+1 to ITB07-028a here. Love the car post-reflash. LOVE it. Before the reflash I constantly fought VDC. Now it's only there when I need it.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Yup, I love it too (err I got ITB07-045). The acceleration is alot more gradual when feathering the throttle, or with regular light taps. Prior to the ECU flash, I can barely tap the pedal and get a nice neck wrenching jar.

Now, I need to floor the pedal to get the neck wrenching jar from a stop, which is a lot more intuitive to me than getting it at a tap

Old 01-20-2008, 02:14 PM
After about a month, I feel that some posters here have greatly overstated the impact of the re-flash.

Some say that the pedal has to be depressed 2 inches in order to get a quick response. It's more like 0.2 inches, if that. The quick acceleration is all there, it's just more controllable. Want the neck snap? Assuming you can flex you foot a small amount, it's ALL there.

The re-flash takes nothing (meaningful) away from the G. It simply makes it easier and more managable to do things like quickly accelerate in tight, city traffic.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by jburlowski
After about a month, I feel that some posters here have greatly overstated the impact of the re-flash.

Some say that the pedal has to be depressed 2 inches in order to get a quick response. It's more like 0.2 inches, if that. The quick acceleration is all there, it's just more controllable. Want the neck snap? Assuming you can flex you foot a small amount, it's ALL there.

The re-flash takes nothing (meaningful) away from the G. It simply makes it easier and more managable to do things like quickly accelerate in tight, city traffic.
+1 Plus advancing timing +2 to 17 BTDC gives more low end torque on the butt dyno.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Folks: Other than the Touchy Throttle, How do I know if the Reflash of the ECU is needed? 2007 G35X - delivered April 30, 2007. Just tried the Cruise Control issue (have'nt used it much at all -driving in the NY area doesn't allow use of that too much.... )It seemed that it did surge a bit on hills. Does that qualify the reflash with the dealer. Or do you jst ask for it??

Does the reflash negatively impact the performance of the car in any way?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by almatti
Folks: Other than the Touchy Throttle, How do I know if the Reflash of the ECU is needed? 2007 G35X - delivered April 30, 2007. Just tried the Cruise Control issue (have'nt used it much at all -driving in the NY area doesn't allow use of that too much.... )It seemed that it did surge a bit on hills. Does that qualify the reflash with the dealer. Or do you jst ask for it??

If you're happy with the car the way it is, then you do not need it. I wasn't happy with the touchy throttle.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 AM

You can find a copy of the TSB here.

In the TSB it lists the VIN ranges that are effected. IF your VIN falls in that range, and you're unhappy with the sensativity of the throttle (or gas mileage, imo) then should consider the TSB. Otherwise skip it.

Personally, I vastly prefer the car post-reflash and have found no ill effects from the work. Some people disagree.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by jburlowski

I agree. Well put!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry to appear stoopid but 8/8 votes to the question of whether or not the ITB07-028a reflash (to cure the "jumpy" throttle) was worthwhile seems to denote a 100% positive response

Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Ok Guys, I'm being convinced to apply the changes to the ECM - Reflash update. It appears from the TSB that my VIN is in the range. Question:

I do have the "touchy Throttle" issue, but the Cruise Control fluctuation doesn't seem severe: maybe a 1 mile or 2 off the settings going up and down different grades on the highway. I thought that would be normal for cruise control, although I feel the "surges" or is that just tranny gear shifting ?? I have a 2007 G35X 5 spd Auto.

Thanks . Reason why I'm a bit gunshy: Been driving cars for over 35 years, experience has shwon me that "If it ain't broke......Don't fix it" was usually is the case. But that was more prevalent when cars were strictly mechanical rather than electronic.......

Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 AM
The surge is definitely notable and it's not a 1-2mph variation. It's a throttle on/off type feel. Find a big, long hill. Set the cruise control. Feel the car, repeatedly, in a pattern of 1-2 seconds, surge forward and brake, surge forward and brake. It's enough to cause motion sickness if the hill is steep enough. Seriously.

Even post reflash I still feel it with ICC thought it has dramatically improved.

Another way you can feel the surging (assuming you have ICC). Settle in behind a car on the highway, set the cruise to, oh, 5 mph faster than the car infront of you is going. Be amazed as the car falls back to the following distance than surges forward and brakes again and again to keep in the "sweet spot" of following distance. Again, it's an on/off type throttle feeling.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Ok Guys, I'm being convinced to apply the changes to the ECM - Reflash update. It appears from the TSB that my VIN is in the range. Question:

I do have the "touchy Throttle" issue, but the Cruise Control fluctuation doesn't seem severe: maybe a 1 mile or 2 off the settings going up and down different grades on the highway. I thought that would be normal for cruise control, although I feel the "surges" or is that just tranny gear shifting ?? I have a 2007 G35X 5 spd Auto.

Thanks . Reason why I'm a bit gunshy: Been driving cars for over 35 years, experience has shwon me that "If it ain't broke......Don't fix it" was usually is the case. But that was more prevalent when cars were strictly mechanical rather than electronic.......
The cruise control problem may or may not apply to you BUT it is the only justification (for now) for insisting on the reflash.

Sadly, many owners are having to "fake" the cruise control issue just to get the reflash

Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by sunmind
Sadly, many owners are having to "fake" the cruise control issue just to get the reflash
Easier to fake the 045 issue. Just say the cold start problem is intermittent; sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's bad, but when it's bad it's really bad. Gave my dealer a good reason to do it without having to replicate the problem.

Skip 028a and go for 045, my car already had rev B and it still had the touchy throttle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECM Update Poll