G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How to Park Automatic Tranny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Park Automatic Tranny?

Hello G-unit owners. I was wondering how you guys park? Sometimes when I put the shift lever into Park and let go off the brake pedal the car would move front or back then 'lock' up. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

I think this puts stress on the transmission. So I try to park like what the manual says in the parking/parking up hill section. With the car stopped and brake pedal pressed I shift to Neutral then step on the parking brake, then I let go of the brake pedal a bit and let the brakes 'catch the car's weight' then I shift into Park.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Press brake, apply parking brake, put tranny in park.

Likewise when leaving, apply brake, shift tranny into gear (D or R obviously), release parking brake.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
When parking:
1. Set the car in Park while depressing brake pedal
2. Set the parking brake
3. Release brake pedal

When putting it in Drive
1. Step on the brake pedal
2. Release parking brake while holding brake pedal
3. Put shifter in D while holding brake pedal

2 & 3 are interchangeable.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:12 PM
I press the brake pedal, put it in park and get out.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i rebuild transmissions for a living and that little slight movement when you put it in park wont stress anything. Its just a solid metal bar getting lodged in the rear gear to stop it from turning.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by DRIP
I press the brake pedal, put it in park and get out.
+ 1

Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM
I use the emergency brake regularly unless it's in my garage. It's just a habit from driving sticks my first few cars. I do it on all my cars now.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
+ 1
same here

Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
+ 1
Yep. In my Maxima I used to pull the handbrake, but am apparently too lazy to use the pedal in the G. The rocking is unlikely to hurt anything, as long as the G is actually STOPPED before you switch to Park.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
I laugh at threads like these. LOL

Old 02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by oughttoreturn
Hello G-unit owners. I was wondering how you guys park? Sometimes when I put the shift lever into Park and let go off the brake pedal the car would move front or back then 'lock' up. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.
Very bad practice. You'll ruin your tranny. I just hit the brake to stop the car, shift into park, turn off the engine, engage the E-brake, and then let go of the brake pedal. Sounds like a big deal process, but it takes no more than 2 seconds.

Last edited by SPEEED; 02-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by jjyellow
i rebuild transmissions for a living and that little slight movement when you put it in park wont stress anything.
And I'm a network Engineer. Does that mean that my advice to someone won't/can't screw his router/firewall up?

I've met plenty of Joe Mechanics in my life who I wouldn't trust with a pair of bicycles. Not saying you don't know your job, but your occupation does not automatically means it correlates with a sound advice.

Originally Posted by jjyellow
Its just a solid metal bar getting lodged in the rear gear to stop it from turning.
The E-Brake is there for a reason. That bar is a safety feature, it was not designed to hold the car in place on inclines. With that said, the e-brake by itself would not hold the car by itself in a steep incline either, but the combination use of both meant to hold the car in its place properly without over-stressing either component. That rocking movement after you let go of the brake WILL eventually damage the locking mechanism. I've seen it with my in-laws Maxima.

Good luck.

Last edited by SPEEED; 02-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by SPEEED
Very bad practice. You'll ruin your tranny. I just hit the brake to stop the car, shift into park, turn off the engine, engage the E-brake, and then let go of the brake pedal. Sounds like a big deal process, but it takes no more than 2 seconds.
Thanks Speeed. Keep it simple!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
I personally put the car in park let of the brake gently and thats it. If I ever park on steep inclines yes I would use the E brake.

And I'm a network Engineer. Does that mean that my advice to someone won't/can't screw his router/firewall up?

I've met plenty of Joe Mechanics in my life who I wouldn't trust with a pair of bicycles. Not saying you don't know your job, but your occupation does not automatically means it correlates with a sound advice.
Wow it sucks to get attacked for answering someones question with there personal opinion. Even when they work in the industry of the question. I did not see a this is the way you do it or your a dummy comment. Just his opinion from his experience. That was his opinion. Thats what the original poster asked for? Forgive if i`m wrong because it hard to tell the tone of a comment over the internet sometimes.

Last edited by kid4now; 02-06-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Ok SPEEED; back to reality....

We're talking about putting a car in park properly. Network engineering is a whole other level of complexity.

How many times have you personally come across a tranny that has been damaged solely by improper parking procedures?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to Park Automatic Tranny?