G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Performance wheel / tire pkg. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Option "Performance wheel / tire pkg" Worth it?

Hello,

I plan to buy 2008 G35 soon.
I wonder if it is worth to get performance wheel/tire package.

I read from the this forum, the performance tires will last about 1,5000~20,000 miles and tires cannot be rotated. This means every 15 to 20 month, I have to get new tires. Considering that, it is expensive to have performance tire.

Since I never had performance tire in my car, I have no idea how good it is, and what will be the benefit of having it.

Can you guys tell me what are the pros and cons?
Is it worth to spend money for performance tire?

By the way, I am living in Los Angeles area. (Not much rain)

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by skfnxh; 02-11-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
The performance wheel/tire package is definitely worth it, IMO. First, the 18" rims look a lot better than the 17" ones. Second, the stock 18" RE050a's will outhandle the 17" RS-A's anyday. RS-A's were standard on my Maxima and I think they sucked, especially in the rain (I could sometimes feel hydroplaning with the RS-A's, but none whatsoever with the RE050a's) If you like to drive aggressively, then performance tires will allow you to get the most out of the car. Even if you don't drive aggressively, you'll definitely feel safer in the rain with the RE050a's. Best of all, the wheel/tire upgrade is relatively inexpensive.

Depending on how you drive, I'd say the tires can last you anywhere from 10k (track days will kill it) to at 30k (driving miss daisy). I consider myself a normal driver (w/occasional spirited runs), and now I really need to change rears after 25k. Next, I will get a set of the Goodyear A/S in the stock 18" sizes. From reading reviews, they handle just as nice as the Potenza's in the dry (and probably better in the wet), but also last A LOT longer.

Tires are the only part of the car that contacts the road -- the right tires will definitely make a difference in every aspect - stopping, handling, safety.

Last edited by CalsonicVQ; 02-11-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
it was only 400 bucks more, so i got it.... Looks a lot better than the 17's...

Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
The performance wheel/tire package is definitely worth it, IMO. First, the 18" rims look a lot better than the 17" ones. Second, the stock 18" RE050a's will outhandle the 17" RS-A's anyday. RS-A's were standard on my Maxima and I think they sucked, especially in the rain (I could sometimes feel hydroplaning with the RS-A's, but none whatsoever with the RE050a's) If you like to drive aggressively, then performance tires will allow you to get the most out of the car. Even if you don't drive aggressively, you'll definitely feel safer in the rain with the RE050a's. Best of all, the wheel/tire upgrade is relatively inexpensive.

Depending on how you drive, I'd say the tires can last you anywhere from 10k (track days will kill it) to at 30k (driving miss daisy). I consider myself a normal driver (w/occasional spirited runs), and now I really need to change rears after 25k. Next, I will get a set of the Goodyear A/S in the stock 18" sizes. From reading reviews, they handle just as nice as the Potenza's in the dry (and probably better in the wet), but also last A LOT longer.

Tires are the only part of the car that contacts the road -- the right tires will definitely make a difference in every aspect - stopping, handling, safety.

Thank you for info.

So, the performance tire is definitely worth if I want to have better handling.

To initially get package, it is $400 but to get new tires every year, it will be pain.

Anyway, I am kind of leaning forward to get wheel/tire package.
One more question is which side tires are ware out that fast?

Is it front fires or rear tires? or both? Could you let me know?

Thank you.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by skfnxh
Thank you for info.

So, the performance tire is definitely worth if I want to have better handling.

To initially get package, it is $400 but to get new tires every year, it will be pain.

Anyway, I am kind of leaning forward to get wheel/tire package.
One more question is which side tires are ware out that fast?

Is it front fires or rear tires? or both? Could you let me know?

Thank you.
I'd say usually rears, because it's not hard to break the rear tires loose, especially in turns (and you'll just break the inside wheel loose w/o LSD). If you do a track day or two though, or if you drive hard, the front edges will also wear pretty fast. The tread life on the Bridgestone's is pretty lame, I'm going Mich Pilots next.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm definately glad we got the 18" wheel pack, although the Potenzas do have quicker treadware, they truly are outstanding performance tires as far as getting the most out of the Gs' capabilities (in summer dry conditions). If you venture into teh hills in winter they're dangerous in slick conditions, and you need to be aware of their wet road limitations.
If you're running dry roads 95% of the time I'd jump on the 18" wheel package, and they do look much more than a $400 improvement, IMO these wheels are really exceptional looking, and diffferent than any other vehicle on the road.

When it comes time to replace the tires you can always go w/ another brand, I've seen Nankangs for about $80 apiece w/ similar tread pattern and wear ratings, so you don't have to plunk down a mint when the time comes.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 PM
you could always just get an S *whistle*

Last edited by jsmonet; 02-11-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Smile

I was faced with this same decision and sought advice over at the Edmunds.com G35 sedan forum. You can do some searching here and there to find many posts regarding this option.

I'm very glad I was strongly talked out of the package. Here's why:

Yes, only $400 now, but up to $1300 every year, or year and a half, to replace the tires.

The summer tires are very iffy in temps from about 40 on down. They lose their grip. Not likely a problem in your part of Cal., (just stay away from 1-5 north of town!) but a problem even here in central Florida.

It's true that the RS-As aren't terrific, but they can be swapped out with several great tires for only $400 for all four, and then changed less than half as often as the performance tires. I like the Kumho's, particularly, for great grip and little hydroplaning worries.

The standard 17s or 18 inch all wheel drive X model Dunlop's can be normally rotated, the staggered sizes of the sport package / tires cannot.

Very, very few staggered size matched replacement options exist, keeping prices high. The Goodyears mentioned are a good choice though. Check all the sizes and reviews easily at Tire Rack.

The sport tires are noisier, generally speaking.

Insurance prices are sometimes higher with sport packages / tire options despite the great wet and dry grip when in good condition. Check a couple of VIN numbers with your agent to be sure.

Last edited by onthebeam; 02-11-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm curious what tires you're finding in that price range for 17's in a 225-ish width. my sti wore 225/45/17's all around and I lucked out getting s03's for 106+ shipping, +mount/balance. I still ended up spending close to 530 to get the set to my door, and on my rims. the closest thing to decent, allbeit IMMENSELY balky, are toyo t1r's. those are 120~140 a tire + shipping + mounting.

kumhos... I've learned to hate. they seem to give up the ghost about halfway through their treadlife unless you're talking about r-comps. perhaps i'm just a great deal more demanding of my tires, though

the only time you're going to spend more on insurance is if your VIN shows you bought a g35s--this does NOT apply to journeys and x's with sport packages.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by onthebeam
I was faced with this same decision and sought advice over at the Edmunds.com G35 sedan forum. You can do some searching here and there to find many posts regarding this option.

I'm very glad I was strongly talked out of the package. Here's why:

Yes, only $400 now, but up to $1300 every year, or year and a half, to replace the tires.

The summer tires are very iffy in temps from about 40 on down. They lose their grip. Not likely a problem in your part of Cal., (just stay away from 1-5 north of town!) but a problem even here in central Florida.

It's true that the RS-As aren't terrific, but they can be swapped out with several great tires for only $400 for all four, and then changed less than half as often as the performance tires. I like the Kumho's, particularly, for great grip and little hydroplaning worries.

The standard 17s or 18 inch all wheel drive X model Dunlop's can be normally rotated, the staggered sizes of the sport package / tires cannot.

Very, very few staggered size matched replacement options exist, keeping prices high. The Goodyears mentioned are a good choice though. Check all the sizes and reviews easily at Tire Rack.

The sport tires are noisier, generally speaking.

Insurance prices are sometimes higher with sport packages / tire options despite the great wet and dry grip when in good condition. Check a couple of VIN numbers with your agent to be sure.

Thank you for great explanation. That helps a lot.
I plan to get journey. Therefore, It will be staggered wheel / tire package. Which there is no option for rotating. (If I understand correctly)

Anyway, to get the most out of infiniti, I will get performance wheel / tire option.

Thank you.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Moderation-free
Originally Posted by skfnxh
Thank you for great explanation. That helps a lot.
I plan to get journey. Therefore, It will be staggered wheel / tire package. Which there is no option for rotating. (If I understand correctly)

Anyway, to get the most out of infiniti, I will get performance wheel / tire option.

Thank you.
Journey with sport wheels is staggered and non-rotatable, regular Journey is not.

But buy the sport wheel package because a) they look great, b) you'll get better traction on dry roads, c) they're fine in the rain, and d) they do get a bit slick below 40 degrees, but how often does that happen for you? Two weeks out of the year in Houston.

Regarding tire prices, so what? We all bought a sports sedan. The diff between four replacements for Sport wheels and Journey wheels is probably $250, depending on what you buy. Unfortunately the tread life on the stock RE050s IS pretty lame, but then you can buy something else.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by jsmonet
I'm curious what tires you're finding in that price range for 17's in a 225-ish width. my sti wore 225/45/17's all around and I lucked out getting s03's for 106+ shipping, +mount/balance. I still ended up spending close to 530 to get the set to my door, and on my rims. the closest thing to decent, allbeit IMMENSELY balky, are toyo t1r's. those are 120~140 a tire + shipping + mounting.

kumhos... I've learned to hate. they seem to give up the ghost about halfway through their treadlife unless you're talking about r-comps. perhaps i'm just a great deal more demanding of my tires, though

the only time you're going to spend more on insurance is if your VIN shows you bought a g35s--this does NOT apply to journeys and x's with sport packages.
We love the Kumho's but to each his own. I came from a Bimmer with stock Michelins and liked the Kumho's much better. The caveat being that the Michelins wore longer but I experienced and worried about hydroplaning with them there in Florida. We have also had two sets of Kumhos on our Camry.

Have also heard good things about the Yokos for the G35 and may consider them, too.

Any Yoko fans here?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Regarding tire prices, so what? We all bought a sports sedan. The diff between four replacements for Sport wheels and Journey wheels is probably $250, depending on what you buy.
To each his own. . . I love the sporty handling of the G35, too, but how many of us treat the car like we're on the track, with hard cornering, testing the limits constantly, etc. Regarding tire prices, it's not a so what proposition for me. If you change out the sport tires every 15,000 miles, when you hit 60k, you're at $5,200 or so just for tires! And you can bet with raw materials prices still surging, so will tire prices continue to rise.

Not sure what you mean about $250 for the difference in price. Lot's of good choices for $400-$500 a set for the stock 17's. You'll be starting around $1,200-$1,300 a set with the sport tires.

And, how many of us live in a part of the country where you can use sport tires year round? Very few indeed. So, many folks deciding to buy extra rims and winter tires like Blizzaks, or to pay for the tire swaps twice annually. Lot's of extra cash for that, too. The upside being that winter tires are great if needed. So, if money is truly no object and you have several thousand $$$ extra to invest, you can have great summer tire performance, and great winter tire performance, too. For me, all season touring tires, when chosen carefully, are excellent. I'd rather spend that several thousand on lots of other stuff!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 AM
To each his own. . . I love the sporty handling of the G35, too, but how many of us treat the car like we're on the track, with hard cornering, testing the limits constantly, etc. Regarding tire prices, it's not a so what proposition for me. If you change out the sport tires every 15,000 miles, when you hit 60k, you're at $5,200 or so just for tires! And you can bet with raw materials prices still surging, so will tire prices continue to rise.

Not sure what you mean about $250 for the difference in price. Lot's of good choices for $400-$500 a set for the stock 17's. You'll be starting around $1,200-$1,300 a set with the sport tires.

And, how many of us live in a part of the country where you can use sport tires year round? Very few indeed. So, many folks deciding to buy extra rims and winter tires like Blizzaks, or to pay for the tire swaps twice annually. Lot's of extra cash for that, too. The upside being that winter tires are great if needed. So, if money is truly no object and you have several thousand $$$ extra to invest, you can have great summer tire performance, and great winter tire performance, too. For me, all season touring tires, when chosen carefully, are excellent. I'd rather spend that several thousand on lots of other stuff!

Well, you have very strong point.
Now I am confused.

So, if I think about money factor, I better stay Journey with 17".
If I have couple thousand dollars to burn, then go for 18" performance package.

Well, if only money is the factor, then I should stay with 17" stock. Since I don't have couple thousand dollars to burn.

Is performance wheel/tire package, really worth to spend money? (Not only initial $400, but also couple thousand dollars to replace tires)

It is really hard to mack decision. Any other opinion?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Moderation-free

As you say, to each his own, but your information is incorrect. Simply by switching to a more common size on the front (235/50/18):

Tires.com and/or Tire Rack:

Continental ContiProContact: Front $152 ea, rear $193 each. From my math, that equals $690, which is $190 more than your stated $500 for 17s.

BF Goodrich g-Force TA: $110 ea front, $191 ea rear = $602.

There are more, I just don't feel like searching longer. The point is this - people buy the car for different reasons. From my perspective, tire cost is not really a reason to to choose options, since the difference isn't that large. You noted that you don't drive hard, so you'll undoubtedly get more than 15k out of Sport tires - the difference reduces to something like $1,000 over 60k miles (being generous), or $250 / year. So what...

I do drive hard, and expect to pay around $1k / year for tires. That's okay with me, because I'd rather subsidize my driving style than change it simply to reduce costs. Your answer doesn't have to be the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance wheel / tire pkg. Worth it?