G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

are these engines known for being a little noisy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are these engines known for being a little noisy

i have noticed that when im going roughly 1/2 to 3/4 throttle through the gears in auto mode just between shifts i can hear a little bit of noise that almost sounds like a rattle. i had a bad batch of gas one day and it was even more noticeable. i thought maybe there was something loose, but that wasnt the case as far as i could tell. it could be valve train noise, but im not sure. i read in a review that the engine was somewhat noisy as well, and im trying to find that article now. its not neccessarily a concern since there is the warranty, but id like to know if its typical or not. thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by bmfgsxr
i have noticed that when im going roughly 1/2 to 3/4 throttle through the gears in auto mode just between shifts i can hear a little bit of noise that almost sounds like a rattle. . . . i read in a review that the engine was somewhat noisy as well, and im trying to find that article now. . . . id like to know if its typical or not. thanks
The rattle-like sound you describe concerns me. My engine does not make any rattling sounds. OTOH, the engine is a little louder than those in my prior cars in a similar class--Lex GS300 and TL 6MT. But, it is a good loud, not a bad loud.

--Rich

Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
yeah, its not really a rattle but i cant really describe it well. its just between shifts, and not during accel or decel.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
if it was some thing in the block you would hear it at high revs/heave loads,
if ur hearing it between shifts i could be a tranny issue.
bring it to the dealer and say "fix it", if you don't do that, at leaset call them and log a complaint, in case ur tranny falls out later you can say i made a complaint about it.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
i might have them take a look at it, although it doesnt really sound that loud or bad. id like to drive another g35 and listen to see if its normal. thanks for the advice though guys.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah, its not really a rattle but i cant really describe it well. its just between shifts, and not during accel or decel.
If it's during shifts, this is a known problem and there have been some threads about it. Mine does this too, mostly in the 1 - 2 and 2 - 3 shifts.

If it's between shifts no, mine doesn't rattle.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
its during shifts. just as its changing gears under partial throttle is when i can hear it, and in the low shifts like you mentioned. is it just a noisy engine, or is this a problem that needs to be fixed? thanks for the reply, and can you direct me to any links of other threads talking about it?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
its during shifts. just as its changing gears under partial throttle is when i can hear it, and in the low shifts like you mentioned. is it just a noisy engine, or is this a problem that needs to be fixed? thanks for the reply, and can you direct me to any links of other threads talking about it?
Sure, I can search for "rattle" for you...

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/138510-blowoff-valve-like-sound-when-shifting.html

Old 02-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait, is the "rattle" you're talking about a "pinging", that sounds like a rattle of sorts, and would be worse with bad gas. That is caused bt timing, therefore there might be a computer problem that needs attention. Mine is quiet, no sounds like that.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Wait, is the "rattle" you're talking about a "pinging", that sounds like a rattle of sorts, and would be worse with bad gas. That is caused bt timing, therefore there might be a computer problem that needs attention. Mine is quiet, no sounds like that.
You wouldn't hear a ping between shifts... detonation only occurs when the car is under a load.

The VQ has always been recognized as a louder motor. Other motors in it's class are belt driven, whereas ours is chain. Yes, a Lexus is FAR quieter.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Yes, a Lexus is FAR quieter
I'll take the VQ, thank you

Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by blnewt
I'll take the VQ, thank you
Amen to that...

I looked originally at the 335i, IS350, and my Sport... Look what I ended up with. My second RWD VQ in four years.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:59 PM
i got the same result when i shopped around too, u can add audi and caddy to that list too

Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
Yes, a Lexus is FAR quieter.
Many on the GS350 and IS350 forums complain about the loud ticking noise that all Lexus direct injection engines make.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Many on the GS350 and IS350 forums complain about the loud ticking noise that all Lexus direct injection engines make.
Injector tick is a whisper compared to the VQ.

Please don't think I'm trying to defend our competition, but the truth is truth. Historically Lexus' are silent, whereas Infiniti's old Q flagship still had a nice V8 exhaust tone.

Silence is beauty to some, whereas engine noise is to others.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: are these engines known for being a little noisy