G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Clearbra not recommended on headlights??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of misinformation here, both from the installer you quoted and the people who responded.

The original headlight protection film from 3M (marketed by Xpel and others) was 30 mil thick. Neither 3M or Xpel will ever admit to this, but installers and owners were noticing microfractures and cracking on certain large, curved headlight designs with the thick 30 mil film. Xenon/HID and standard halogen lights were affected.

This happened to my 1997 Supra Turbo, but I have had no problems with the thicker headlight film on at least 5 of my cars.

Today, most experienced installers will use the thinner (<8 mil) "clear bra" film on the headlights. This would include 3M, Avery and Venture films. The thin film is easier to install and does not cause fracturing of the headlight plastic due to differential expansion/contraction.

No one really needs the "thick" film anyway. The purpose of the clear bra film on the headlights is to prevent the sandblasted-type haze and small chips. The thin film works great and is easy to replace when needed. It definitely reduces long-term "yellowing" of the headlights.

Dean

Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
My installer cut all the pieces out of a bulk roll of 3M film in a plotter. All the pieces are the same thickness including the headlights. I probably have one of the earliest clear bra installs on an 07 and it still look fine so what ever thickness they are using seems to be working.

My guess the OP's installer was to chicken to try and do the headlights. It took a LOT of work to get it over the compound curves of the headlights.

Originally Posted by DeanOU
A lot of misinformation here, both from the installer you quoted and the people who responded.

The original headlight protection film from 3M (marketed by Xpel and others) was 30 mil thick. Neither 3M or Xpel will ever admit to this, but installers and owners were noticing microfractures and cracking on certain large, curved headlight designs with the thick 30 mil film. Xenon/HID and standard halogen lights were affected.

This happened to my 1997 Supra Turbo, but I have had no problems with the thicker headlight film on at least 5 of my cars.

Today, most experienced installers will use the thinner (<8 mil) "clear bra" film on the headlights. This would include 3M, Avery and Venture films. The thin film is easier to install and does not cause fracturing of the headlight plastic due to differential expansion/contraction.

No one really needs the "thick" film anyway. The purpose of the clear bra film on the headlights is to prevent the sandblasted-type haze and small chips. The thin film works great and is easy to replace when needed. It definitely reduces long-term "yellowing" of the headlights.

Dean

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I install ClearBra for a living and have never heard of headlamp life being shortened... I think its a load of bs if you ask me. Put it on the lamps you wont regret it!!!